+ Reply to Thread

Just switched to T650 from i500 - Sprint Store Pricematched Earthlink :)

Well - after being one of the early i500 adopters, I just switched from my "little" phone to the T650.

I've had my i500 for two years and I loved it...but my headset jack was seriously screwed up and they wouldn't replace the phone for me (out of warranty - doh!).

So...I was able to convince the manager @ a Sprint store to pricematch the Earthlink $199.99 on the T650. They actually charged me $299.99 but issued a $100 credit, and I had to sign a new contract since mine expired in 2003. I did also add a new line of service and got another T650 for the same price for a relative at the same time - this may explain their willingness to match the price on mine since I'm technically an "upgrade".

FYI: I found two stores willing to do the match - I went to six stores total but two didn't even have it in stock and I didn't bother talking to them so I don't know if they would also match.

In any case, I do like the T650's speed, screen and features so far but it's going to take some time getting used to the bigger phone.

I have a couple of ?s:

1) Anyone else who made the same switch have some advice?

2) How much is my old i500 now worth (with a defective headset jack that may or may not be easily repairable - according to this thread Phone slowly dying, any suggestions?)
    SPH-i500 -> T650

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

Thumbs up Came from the 7135

I came over to the Treo 650 family by way of the Kyocera 7135. It's roughly the same size as the 500.
    The size difference of the Treo650 is not noticeable if you buy a horizontal pouch case. I have one by Bellagio and it has been perfect.
    1st thing you should do is get, at minimum, a 1GB SD card. ($65)
    A 2GB can be had for $160 or so.
    Most programs run fine from the card. I have 30 games on my card and zero on the internal phone memory. It's great to have that 1Gb for storage.
    I have mp3's, pdf's , office docs and even have The Green Mile compressed down to 600Mb on my Treo. That's a 3 hour movie! Space dissapears fast on the card.
    Read the threads here to find out what programs are best for you. Start with the last thread on this forum and go back to the newest.

www.palmgear.com will have most software you will ever need.
    i have my Treo charging right now off my laptop with a USB charging/sync retractible cable I bought from TreoCentral.com.

Enjoy your toy !!!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar
    p.s.

The i500 is all but trash if it needs repair. You may be able to sell the accessories. Sell em as a buyer-takes-all deal to get rid of it all.
    It's an old, slow phone so consider its life over.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    Welcome to the Club!

I had a i500 myself, but sold it when the Treo 600 came out - The SD expansion was too attractive..
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I am enjoying the vastly superior capabilities of the T650 so far - I'm still amazed at how much faster it is, and although I only have a 512 MB SD card so far, I have plenty of storage I do still miss the small size of the i500, but I'm getting used to it. I do position the phone horizontally during the day (I rotate it with my case) so it doesn't stab me in the side lol.

My phone did come with the newest software upgrade already, and I haven't noticed the "turbo battery drain" that I've read about - whew!

I did see that OfficeMax lowered the price to $149 for the Earthlink T650. I doubt they'll pricematch me again :O
    SPH-i500 -> T650

I made the switch too. I kept my old phone with vision to use as a modem on my laptop. Its not usless if you can make a call out. How much do you want for it? I was going to set my dad up with the same service. He will never use a headset.

I'm not sure how much it's worth - I'll check on eBay and see. The phone actually is in perfect working condition - the headset jack is flaky but works (if you don't hear anything without the headset, you can tap on the jack and it will come back - if you never use the headset, you should be fine).
    SPH-i500 -> T650