+ Reply to Thread

Sync old Sony and treo 650

Is there any way to sync an old Sony sj22 (my wife's) and my 650 on the same computer? We used to sync multiple palms all the time on the same machine, but it seems os4 palms and os 5 palms are not using the same hotsync manager.

Any help??
    Sandy Wagner

I would think it would be possible. What happens when you try and sync the devices (of course, they need to be on different user names)?

yeah.. they are on different hotsync id's. Palm support said no go. The 650 syncs fine via cable or bluetooth, but the sony connects, but never initiates the hotsync on the computer.

I realize now that OS 5 uses calendar and contacts rather than address book and datebook. I am sure the conduits are different.

I have got to figure this out though, the wife is pissed enough that I got the 650, now that her clie won't sync she is ready to kill!
    Sandy Wagner

You could try creating a second user on the PC and installing the 2nd Palm Desktop under the 2nd user's account. Make sure that you don't install it into the existing Palm Desktop directory.

That's my next step (when I get some time.. maybe tomorrow). However I am not sure if I can set the hotsync from 1 palm desktop to launch at start from 1 login and the other hotsync to start from the other login.

We shall see.
    Sandy Wagner

You should be able to - the hotsync program is started from the Startup menu, for which there's a universal set (starts for every user) and a per-user set.

If your current hotsync app shortcut is in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup", just cut/paste it from there into the Startup folder under the appropriate user's Start Menu\Programs folder.

Dollars to donuts (where'd that expression come from, anyway?) it's gonna work.

Thanks.. I didn't realize there were separate startup folders in XP. Now I just have to figure out how to install the other desktop from the clie without it automatically uninstalling the other one.

I will try it all either late tonight or tomorrow
    Sandy Wagner

Still no good. I cannot load 2 versions of palm desktop or hotsync manager on the computer. The install detects the one on the computer and replaces it. It will not let me choose the location if the software is already on the machine.
    Sandy Wagner

Hmm... Well, there's always the option of a dual-boot system, but that's a huge hassle...

I just reread your initial post:
    it seems os4 palms and os 5 palms are not using the same hotsync manager.
    I just upgraded my 7135 (os4) to a 650 last night, and part of the process (found here - I love these forums ) involved syncing the 7135 with the new software, which worked fine. You might want to double-check that your HotSync manager is listening on whatever port/connection the sj22 uses (serial?). I think that it listens only on USB by default.

As a last resort, you could pick up a super-cheap 2nd PC. Certainly not ideal, but it *would* solve the problem...

Nah.. not a port issue. The sony uses usb and it is enabled. Here was Palm's response to my request for help:

Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Jebelyn and I will be assisting you with your issue. I understand that you want to know if you can sync both Sony Clie SJ22 and Treo™ 650 on the same computer.

Sandy, there might be a software conflict between your CLIÉ software and your new Palm™ software since this are two different handhelds. This conflict can result in an inability to perform complete HotSync® operations. Though Sony Clie is also using the Palm Desktop software, it’s not totally the same with the Palm Desktop software for the Treo 650 because there are some features and configurations that are specifically for Sony handhelds as well as there’s some components also on the Palm Desktop for Treo that are uniquely for the Treo handhelds. To avoid any conflict, I suggest that you install the other handheld on another computer.

We hope this issue has been resolved to your satisfaction. A Customer Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you shortly. Please take time to provide us with your feedback about this support experience as it will help us in our on-going effort to continually improve our services.

I sure will give them a survey they won't forget... imagine that.. sync to another computer is the "solution" The idea is that my wife and I can check each others schedules on the same computer. I am not setting up a second computer just to support an old palm
    Sandy Wagner