+ Reply to Thread

Disable internet?

I've just got a Verizon Treo 650 for my wife.
    I didn't get the Unlimited Data Plan, but rather got stuck the PAYG plan and I've also been reading about all the data charges some people have experienced.

Now my wife has absolutely no plans in using the internet on the Treo, but I'd like to be more proactive and disable the internet on the phone altogether. This would also keep curious friends from activating "oh, web... cool" features by mistake (or receiving MMS) and forgetting to turn it off.

So is there a way to totally disable all data connections so that data accidents never happen?

thanks.

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar
    Call up customer service and they will shut
    it off for you.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Originally posted by mikeyis009
    Call up customer service and they will shut
    it off for you.
    Thanks, will try that.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but couldn't you just create a new 'service' in the Network settings that doesn't work. Make a new service, and then don't assign it a phone number or anything. Then, if the phone tries to get online, it won't know how. Has the added advantage that if you ever actually want to get online, you can still re-enable data without calling your service provider.
    Breadheater

---
    VZW Treo 650 since May 30, 2005

Uh... doh... didn't think about that. For some reason I guess.... I assumed the built-in apps would use the built-in unmodifiable connection.
    But what you're saying makes more sense.

Thanks!!!

I am not sure that setting up a system that would not work is the way to go. If you have read some of my posts, I was charged for kilobytes while trying to set up and connect to my isp even though it would not connect. It did start the process.

I am no expert here, but if you want it cut off, let customer service do it , if it is an option ,and you WILL NOT GET CHARGED

FWIW, it did work.

what i've done is go into Network, created a new connection and gave it a name ("fake"). didn't configure anything else (no phone #, no user, no nothing).

now when i access the browser it asks me to connect, i see "Connecting to fake" and then it comes back with an error...
    Which is exactly what i wanted.

thanks!

FYI: - when you make the FAKE service... Chose Cradle/cable for the connection instead of the hardcoded "High Speed Wireless" connection or "Virtual modem" Then there is NO chance of connecting to the phone network .. MMS still arrives showing only text and will not download picture until you switch the service back. SMS works regardless.
    iPhone therefore iAm.