+ Reply to Thread

considering a treo 650, need exchange 2003 access

Hi all

I'm somewhat puzzled at the moment, I am considering a verizon upgrade from my kyo 7135 to a treo 650.

The biggest thing I am trying to do is have it sync mail with my Exchange 2003 server. I read info here that mentions how it works, but I see little info here on this bbs about it.

Here's my odd situation: I have approx 1G of overall mail, a third of it is left on my exch server in my inbox. I constantly reference and search it (I use lookout, awesome mail indexer) as it's full of tech notes. Anyhow, I am afraid that I will need to activesync the entire 1G pile to the treo... how do people get around this?

Also, is this a push style thing, meaning is there an SMS msg sent to wake my treo and tell it I have email?

Thanks for the replies, I'm sorry if this sounds newbish. I've tried to read up and my head is swimming. I will likely cross post a version of this in the i730 forums, as I am considering one of them as well.

Thanks!

-Dave

If POP/IMAP or Exchange mobile access is enabled on your Exchange server, you can simply use the included email client Versamail or a 3rd party client such as Snappermail or Chatter via POP/IMAP to grab your email. These applications will let you select how many past days of mail you want to download so you won't have to downlaod the entire gig of email onto your Treo (I don't think you could do that even if you wanted to). Alternatively, you can use Verizon's Wireless Sync client to "push" your email to your phone (uses SMS to initiate a email sync), this requires your laptop to be on and connected to the internet 24/7.

Thanks Marty

The link I sent talked about built in activesync, is that what you're describing as the verizon wireless sync client?

I guess I'll just have to try it out!

-DMA

Small clarification - WirelessSync does not use SMS to notify your phone of new emails by default. By default, it actually makes an SMTP connection with your phone. There is an optional setting to use SMS messages on the WirelessSync client, but that is not the usual setting, and for most people is not needed.

Originally posted by dma550
    Thanks Marty

The link I sent talked about built in activesync, is that what you're describing as the verizon wireless sync client?

I guess I'll just have to try it out!

-DMA
    No, Wireless Sync is software that sits on your desktop/laptop and monitors your Outlook inbox and when new email arrives, it pushes it out to your phone. This is why in order to use Wireless Sync, your laptop must be on and connected 24/7.

Actually, The link was for exchange 2003:

Microsoft and palmOne have teamed up to provide direct wireless over-the-air synchronization of email and calendar between Exchange Server 2003 and the Treo™ 650 smartphone without the middleman – with Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync.3 Built right in to the new Treo 650 smartphone, Exchange ActiveSync enables these two industry-leading products to work together without any connecting middleware, bringing the crucial lifeblood of every organization – communication – into an easier to acquire, manage, and use solution."

I just read that it won't do contacts... blast!

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    The exchange sync is through the program versamail. It works well 90% off the time- make sure that you get all the current updates available on your phone after you get it. It syncs mail and calander-no contacts or notes/memos.
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...