+ Reply to Thread

Treo 650 battery compared to the 7135

I'm making the move from the Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650.

I used to always carry a spare battery with me, and needed it maybe 1 out of 5 days.

Does anyone who has had both phones have a general feeling about how battery life compares? Does the 650 last longer? (I almost never used analog.)

I'm trying to decide wheter to buy a second battery for the 650.

Thanks!

I've had both and 7135 definitely has a longer battery life but the 650 is a far more powerful machine and thus has larger power requirements. The 650 can definitely make it through a heavy day of use for me and as long as I remember to charge it every night, no problem but on the days I forget to charge it, its nice to have the spare battery. I would get it, its a nice backup. You can fidn them pretty cheap on ebay.

PDAphone Fan n Part time Mod. That70sGAdawg's Avatar
    I'll second that. Get a spare battery, you'll be watching movies, using GPS, and playing high rez games that you never did on the K.
    Enjoying carrying only one communications device for all...

Holy Moly

Did I misunderstand ?

I had a 7135. I had TWO wall chargers, TWO car chargers and TWO extra batteries because I couldn't get more than a day of standby time or 45 minutes of talk time.

By comparison, my Treo 650 Battery is like a nuclear generator.
    I can talk for an hour, let it sit on standby for three days, and I still have 70% of the battery left.

So in my opinion, the Treo 650 battery is FAR superior to the Kyocera 7135.

In fact, this thread is the first time I've heard anything even remotely resembling praise for the battery life of the 7135.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

Re: Holy Moly

Originally posted by Schavlan
    Did I misunderstand ?

I had a 7135. I had TWO wall chargers, TWO car chargers and TWO extra batteries because I couldn't get more than a day of standby time or 45 minutes of talk time.

By comparison, my Treo 650 Battery is like a nuclear generator.
    I can talk for an hour, let it sit on standby for three days, and I still have 70% of the battery left.

So in my opinion, the Treo 650 battery is FAR superior to the Kyocera 7135.

In fact, this thread is the first time I've heard anything even remotely resembling praise for the battery life of the 7135.
    Your 7135 and/or its battery obviously had hardware issues if all you were getting was 45 minutes of talk time. 650 has pretty good battery life but the 7135 is a far less powerful machine with less power requirements and thus had very good battery life. Sorry, but it sounds like your 7135 was a dud.

Actually it really depends on how you use your 650. If you do not use any email sync or other constant data where it is checking the network all day long, your battery life will be better than the Kyo. Turn on any data connection and the battery life will suffer in the 650.
    Sandy Wagner

Marty-------

Not at all Marty.

Just do a quick search on the 7135 Forum for Battery Life.

All you'll get is posts that crank about the poor battery life.

Even from the other moderators.

I stand by my original comments.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    My experience is exactly the opposite. I could barely get a day of use out of the battery for my 7135. With my Sprint Treo 650 and using it the same amount of activity, the Treo 650 battery lasts much longer. I can go up to 3 days without a recharge.
    Michael

I'll think of something later
    I concur, the battery life of the 7135 is inferior to the 650. There are however, features that will drain the battery life of the 650. Most notably, Bluetooth and Active Sync. I have a Bluetooth headset and GPS unit, so the BT transponder stays on all the time now. However, I do not use the Active Sync feature.

I had to charge my 7135 daily. I had 3 batteries, 2 chargers, and a car charger. My 650 can go two or three days without a charge. I do charge almost daily though. The manual states that the battery will last longer if you charge it often, rather than letting the battery drain before charging it.

Re: Marty-------

Originally posted by Schavlan
    Not at all Marty.

Just do a quick search on the 7135 Forum for Battery Life.

All you'll get is posts that crank about the poor battery life.

Even from the other moderators.

I stand by my original comments.
    Thanks but I am well versed when it comes to the 7135 and its issues, I owned the device for quite some time. I stand by my original comments as well. Just because others may be experiencing similar short battery life doesn't mean they don't have battery/phone issues as well. If all you are getting is 45 minutes of talk time from the 7135, there is an issue with the phone. I had no trouble getting at least 2 hours of talk time, constant, scheduled email checking, and about 30 minutes of mp3 playback all in a single day from my 7135 with room to spare. Similar usage on the 650 and the battery barely got me through a day. Of course, the 650 has bigger power requirements such as the significantly faster processor and a power-hungry LCD so makes sense that it would draw more power and thus have a shorter battery life, which in fact I have found to be the case.

I get a MAXIMUM of 15 hours on my 650, but I use Chatter in push mode. I did the same with the 600 and got even less time. Having the spare battery on the 650 is a huge insurance policy and I carry one with me whenever I might be away for more than 12 hours or so.

Of course that it completely off topic, isn't it?

7135 vs 650 battery life . . . .

I too owned both. Had two cradles for the 7135 and a spare battery plus two car adapters.

I've only had the 650 for two weeks now and just ordered the same as above in OEM accessories from Dan'sCellphones@AOL.com for a package deal price of $135 with priority shipping included along with a right angle stereo adapter and a 3 pack of the combo pen stylus which fit the Treo's slot.
    I checked at TreoCentral's accessory prices and the Treo cradles are $40 each. $135 for entire package was dirt cheap.

So on Fri we drove to Cape Cod and over the 4 hour drivetime I was using the Bluetooth Motorola HS-850 Bluetooth headset (sweet unit) and made 35 calls to clients and spoke at length or left messages off to at least 25 of them and only used 1/4 of the battery up.

Don't know how long it would have gone because that night at a pizza place I plugged the charger in for 1/2 an hour under our table while we had dinner which got me thru till Monday still showing 1/2 a charge. No question the extra bright screen draws power, but it's well worth it.

On the Kyo it was about 2 hours talk time and 3-4 days standby not bad but as the batteries age they slowly lose their capacity anyway.

I'd recommend the OEM extra battery and a car adapter both cheap insurance for less than $50. Knock offs can be found for less but IMO not worth the savings
    Last edited by Expidia; 08-25-2005 at 10:02 PM.

I too had to charge my Kyo by 10pm or so or it would shut off on me due to a dead battery. I always kept infrared off and the screen brightness turned down.

On the 650, I am not using push e-mail but I check it several times per day and use it pretty much like I used the Kyo. By the end of the day, I have enough battery power to go another couple of days without charging it if I want to!

Well, I've had my new Treo for two days, and based on that little testing, I have to say the battery life so far seems much better than the 7135. I will continue to evaluate...

(I turned off Blutetooth and Infrared.)

The biggest drains on the battery are constant connections to the network and constant searching for a network. If you are in a low signal area you will see a significant drop in battery life as it will keep losing a signal and searching for it. This is the big battery killer. If you have good signals, you will be pleased with the battery vs. the Kyo.
    Sandy Wagner

back
    My experience with Verizon 7135 vs Verizon 650 - The 650 wins hands down. Battery lasts for weeks vs hours on the 7135!