+ Reply to Thread

Thread: E-mail question

E-mail question

Sorry for this, but anyway I'm consdering maybe using verzion, t-mobile, or cingular for my service provider.

Anyway here's the deal i'm wondering how i can have e-mail be pushed to my phone as soon as they appear, i would prefer to use the service provided e-mail address such as doo@tmail.com, or dood@verzion.whatever and i would like to have it so that as soon as i get any e-mail to those account my treo 650 would download them right away.

Reason why i'm asking, is because i'm deaf and e-mail is my primary purpose of communication thus the need for them to be as fast as possiable. preferly within a minute of someone else sending me an e-mail for example.

Thanks!

VZW Wireless Sync works as follows:

For pop accounts, the Wireless Sync server polls your pop accounts every 15 minutes. Any mails that are found are pushed to your TREO.

For Exchange/Notes you must install a Monitor client on a PC that has access to the server. As soon as mail hits Exchange/Notes that mail is pushed to the WirelessSync server which immediately pushes to our TREO. My personal experience is that mail normally hits my TREO about 2-5 seconds after Outlook.

So I don't think VZW is a good option for you if you intend to use a POP account.

Re: E-mail question

Originally posted by Antimatter
    Sorry for this, but anyway I'm consdering maybe using verzion, t-mobile, or cingular for my service provider.

Anyway here's the deal i'm wondering how i can have e-mail be pushed to my phone as soon as they appear, i would prefer to use the service provided e-mail address such as doo@tmail.com, or dood@verzion.whatever and i would like to have it so that as soon as i get any e-mail to those account my treo 650 would download them right away.

Reason why i'm asking, is because i'm deaf and e-mail is my primary purpose of communication thus the need for them to be as fast as possiable. preferly within a minute of someone else sending me an e-mail for example.

Thanks!
    If you want instant push email, the only options I am aware of are a Blackberry (which means use of a different device) or Goodlink software, which requires the installation of software on an Exchange server, which is not happenning with Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile.

However, with many of the service providers, they have options for you to have a SMS message dispatched to your phone once a new email arrives in your account. With something like Treo Helper (I think that's the name or something like it), you can use that program to recognize these SMS messages and when it does, automatically launch another 3rd party email program like Snappermail to retrieve the email. Another option is Chatter (www.chatteremail.com) which offers IMAP-based push email. From comments I've read on it, email delivery is suppose to be almost instantaneous but I haven't found that to be the case (delay of 2-5 minutes) but I haven't gone through and adjusted all the settings either.

The final solution is to use a redirector (Sprint Business Connection/Verizon Wirelss Sync/Cingular Xpress Mail) as mentioned above. You would have Outlook download email throughout the day and this program that runs in the background on your computer would sense when new email appears in your inbox and push it out to the Treo. Obviously, this requires your computer be on and connected 24/7 and delay is usually like 30 secs - 5 minutes depending on network traffic.

pdaone is correct. Verizon Wireless provides the wireless sync software which pushes new emails to your computer. It works with POP/IMAP and exchange. There is a delay of around 2-5 minutes before you receive them.

I also have never seen push technology that did not have some kind of a delay. Even the blackberry has a delay and it is longer than the wireless sync. Blackberry emails can take up to 20 minutes to get to you.

Even the Blackberry has a substantial delay. I believe you will be much better off with the TREO and a pop mail client such as Snappermail. You can have the snappermail check your mail every 5 minutes. It can check any pop mail server and works well.

It is my understanding that you can purchase a Verizon TREO subscription for about $50 a month, unlimited high speed internet access and without voice plan.

Greg

Originally posted by rayce

I also have never seen push technology that did not have some kind of a delay. Even the blackberry has a delay and it is longer than the wireless sync. Blackberry emails can take up to 20 minutes to get to you.
    Blackberry's running off the Enterprise/Server installed software (as oppsed to the personal redirector edition) or Goodlink have almost zero delay. In fact, on devices running Goodlink, I've seen the email appear on the mobile device first a second or two before appearing in the Outlook Exchange inbox!

I just need to get my e-mail within a reasonable delay say 5 min or so, because that's my primary communication methoid. And often i will be in the mall or something and a friend will "e-mail" me and say time to go, so i would need to get it within 5 min or so.

And verzion provides their own e-mail correct? something like yourname@verzion.com ? So someone can e-mail me directly at a verzion e-mail address like above and i would get it as soon as possiable if i use some sort of sms/push thing?

The final solution is to use a redirector (Sprint Business Connection/Verizon Wirelss Sync/Cingular Xpress Mail) as mentioned above. You would have Outlook download email throughout the day and this program that runs in the background on your computer would sense when new email appears in your inbox and push it out to the Treo. Obviously, this requires your computer be on and connected 24/7 and delay is usually like 30 secs - 5 minutes depending on network traffic.
    That would be ideal but i don't have a server up and running yet, but as soon as i get the money, say within next 4 month i can set one of those up, but untill then its not a option.

It is my understanding that you can purchase a Verizon TREO subscription for about $50 a month, unlimited high speed internet access and without voice plan.

Yep that is the plan i'm going with at the moment.
    Last edited by Antimatter; 08-24-2005 at 02:52 PM.

If you can't leave your PC on and connected 24/7, this limits your options. Here they are:

1. Chatter - IMAP-based push email client
    2. the SMS option I described in my 1st post
    3. Just use Snappermail and set it to check every 5 minutes or so.

Alternatively, instead of having your friends send you emails saying its time to go, just have them send you a SMS text message.

Originally posted by Marty
    Alternatively, instead of having your friends send you emails saying its time to go, just have them send you a SMS text message.
    Well SMS cost money for them and me, the sidekicks that 99% of the deaf people use only get 50 free SMS a month, so that would sort of defeat the whole point of unlimited internet for them.

I'm still not clear on this thing, and haven't found much on verzion's website, but verzion provide you with a "verzion e-mail" correct? if so is that sort of push based or could i use the chatter and/or sms option to get the e-mail asap?

hmmm... not sure if they provide you with an actual email account .. .but I can tell you for certain that even if they do, it doesn't change the options outlined above for push email.

I am aware of that but it would be nice if they provided a e-mail service that supported some of those "push email" methoids listed above then i wouldn't have to worry about that issue.

Any way of finding that out, other than possiably calling the verzion reps?

[edit]: did some more research and verzion dosen't provide you with an e-mail address such as bah@verzmail.com for example, which is a real downer, because i don't have access to any form of imap or other e-mail services other than pop, and i would like fairly fast e-mail service.
    Last edited by Antimatter; 08-26-2005 at 02:10 AM.

An option for you might be to get a hosted MS Exchange account from someplace like www.mailstreet.com. And then use WirelessSync to give you push email. You would need a PC you could always leave on and connected to the net though.

I've used this setup in the past and it works great using my home PC & Comcast cable modem.

[edit]: did some more research and verzion dosen't provide you with an e-mail address such as bah@verzmail.com for example, which is a real downer, because i don't have access to any form of imap or other e-mail services other than pop, and i would like fairly fast e-mail service.
    I'm pretty sure Verizon gives you some sort of email address. Its something like:

yourphonenumber@vtext.com or @vzw3g.com or something like that. Note that by using this email address, the email would be sent straight to your phone as a text message IMMEDIATELY so you wouldn't even need a push email program to retrieve it quickly. Mesage would be delievered immediately with the only delay dependent on network traffic, which is the case for just about any push email program out there.

That isn't really an email. I think it's an SMS relay. If I'm correct, then email messages would be truncated at 256 characters.

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Originally posted by pdaone
    That isn't really an email. I think it's an SMS relay. If I'm correct, then email messages would be truncated at 256 characters.
    Correct, it's an SMS relay, and messages are truncated at 160 characters.
    Michael

This may be more trouble than you want, but a service called fastmail.fm provides free IMAP email accounts. They have bandwidth limits, but I'm not sure that you would go through 40MB in a month or not. You could then use chattermail to get the push email you are looking for. For a one-time fee of $15, you can get a paid membership at fastmail, which will double bandwidth quota among other things.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Although some have alluded to it, what you want is Chattermail. You can use a commercial IMAP server like fastmail (free) or www.fusemail.com ($19.95/year). Set up your pop, or Verizon account as an IMAP account. Get chattermail (www.chatteremail.com) and set up an IMAP account. Then, with Chattermail running on your Treo, you will get your mail almost as soon as it is sent. Just like a Blackberry but better because it is a Treo.

Breadheater

---
    VZW Treo 650 since May 30, 2005