+ Reply to Thread

Does a PIM exist that can...

Is there a PIM out there which can operate independently from the main organizer functions (calendar, to-dos, contacts, etc)? What I'm looking for is a program that I can put on my Treo which I only use for work and then keep everything else in my life on the main program (which I use Agendus). I don't want to-dos, calendar items and contacts to be mixed with work and personal life (it would make my organizer way too cluttered). I'd like to just have these things completely separate, if possible. Anyone know if this is possible?

in order to be able to dial from the app, i think that it has to be wrapped around the built-in contacts, i.e. Agendus, unless you use a hack that lets you dial from anywhere (I know there is one for the 7135, but not sure about the 650)

if there such a hack, nearly any customizable database program should work

There is a program called MarkNDial that mimics the 7135 ability to dial from any app.

I use Documents To Go and have a lot of spreadsheets with work phone numbers, Scout and Football Rosters, etsc.

You can highlight the number, and two clicks and your dialing.

I hope this helps. As always, free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

if you use docs to go, i think that you can set it to automatically sync (well overwrite one way or the other, but not truly sync files) so that you can make edits on only the handheld or only the PC before the sync

I don't care if the program is able to dial from the contacts or not. I'm simply looking for a program (like Agenda - or any PIM - even a very basic one would do) which would enable me to keep my tasks and calendar items separate from my built-in PIM. Anyone know how to do this or whether there is a program in which can operate independently like this?

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

The Neverending (PIM search) Story

I have tried several PIM's and they always disable your built in tasks and notes when a new PIM is added on. The best I have been able to do to keep my 2 lives seperate is judicious use of catagories.

In contacts, I have Personal, Business and Office Rolodex. I further keep my personal info seperate in contacts by using my Full name in the Office Rolodex and using Mike in my Personal catagory. The small change in 1st name gives each their own contact slot. That keeps people at my work from finding my personal cell number when looking in Outlook.
    Works well for note and tasks as well. I have Personal, Family, Work and Travel cats. dividing my notes. Ditto for Todo's.

Not exactly what u r looking for but I doubt any PIM will ever seperate personal info from business info.

It's all about business customers.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Thanks for the info Mikey. I really don't even need a PIM to separate my personal and business info. What would be most simple is if I could just use Agendus for my standard, every day organizer functions and then have a completely different program that I could open up to see my business info, primarily to-dos and calendar - that's what I'm looking for!

I do exactly what you're looking for. My solution is to use Beyond Contacts for work because it syncs well with Outlook. I use Agendus for my personal PIM needs. Beyond Contacts has the option to stay completely separate or combined with the built-in PIM databases.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

I apologize for the side-step, but since there are PIM experts here... I use Key Suite (love it). I have to sync, however, both the native contacts and Key Contacts in order to use the native contact search and dial function. I've had no problems with this double-syncing. Here's my question... I am not also syncing the native datebook and Key Calendar, yet I have old calendar info in the native datebook. Because I can't turn off the alarms in the native datebook, I have a handful of events (reoccuring ones, of course) for which I get double alarms. Finally, the question... does anyone know of a way to clear all data from just the native datebook?

If you go with the category method of segregating personal and business info, be aware that DateBk5 has some very nice features to help - like repeating/forwarded alarms can be set to not trigger on either workdays or weekends.
    Of course it has so MUCH more than that!

What I need is a means of Easily sharing parts of one's schedule with a spouse - or even the rest of the family.
    I'd like work schedules and special events that affect the others' schedule to AUTOMATICALLY be copied over their schedule.

Palms have had IR links and supported multiple users on the desktop for ages. Now there is the internet and bluetooth (and sometimes wi-fi) to add to the interconnection of these personal machines.

But I have YET to see a simple means of handling the schedules of two busy individuals the work separately (ie - don't share an Exchange server).

Originally posted by alex_mathews
    I do exactly what you're looking for. My solution is to use Beyond Contacts for work because it syncs well with Outlook. I use Agendus for my personal PIM needs. Beyond Contacts has the option to stay completely separate or combined with the built-in PIM databases.
    Thanks, Alex! I'll check it out; sounds like this is exactly what I'm looking for!