+ Reply to Thread

Drop Experiences?

I keep reading posts about screens breaking on the first drop. So I was wondering if the 650 is really that delicate... ?

If you've dropped your phone, did it survive, or do most/all drops result in a broken screen?

Has anyone experienced damage in a hard case?

I'm trying to decide if it is prudent to use a hard case all the time. I have a fairly nice one from rhinoskin that is acceptable, but not quite as convienent as no case. I guess I'm wondering how high the risk is of a drop-break.

TIA!

i dropped mine on the 8th day of owning it. broke the screen. i am paranoid now about it. got a link to the case you mention?

It depends on the situation. If you drop it on concret or a ceramic floor and the velocity of the fall then of course the screen is going to break. With is with any phone. I have that experience with the 7135 and I really did not drop it I had the phone open and tripped on my chair and slammed the phone againist the desk. I have dropped the 650 at least twice and I have been fairly lucky that the screen did not break.
    esmass:p

Originally posted by ohvhost
    got a link to the case you mention?
    Sure, I got this one from CompUSA:
    Rhinoskin Aluminum Hardcase

It looks to be exactly the same as this one under a different brandname:
    Innopocket Hard Case at Treo Central

The case makes the phone a little thicker (almost exactly as thick as my 7135 folded) and a little taller, but not significantly. You can still use the 5-way and surrounding buttons, but a little less easily as they are below the surface of the metal. The screen is still readable and protected. Opening it up is a snap, and overall the construction feels solid. Really the one downside is you lose a little of the elegance of the sleek design.

As a matter of fact, I dropped mine yesterday. I was at an intersection, waiting to cross, and my wife sent me a text message. When I went to pull it out of my canvas case, the antenna managed to wedge itself under the Velcro for a moment, sending it into a spin and down to the sidewalk.

The damage was limited to about a half dozen small scratches on the body and the antenna – the screen was fine. What saved it, I think, was the fact that it was tumbling when it hit the ground and didn't do a telephlop. I've dropped phones many times, and my natural instinct is to try to break its fall with my foot, HackeySack style. This usually gets it rotating and I've never lost a phone that I've made contact with before it hit the ground. In fact, the only screen I've ever broken was one that I unintentionally unclipped from my belt with a coil of video cable I had over my shoulder while climbing some scaffolding. That phone plunged about six feet and smacked a corner – the screen was a cracked, bruised mess. The old Samsung still worked, though.

If I had a complaint about the Treo, it would be that it's too sleek, at least at the top where I grab it to get it out of my holster. If it had some knurled edge or ridged rubber bumpers at the top, I think I would be able to grip it better during that whole "lift/flip/catch" sequence that IS removing a cell phone from a holster. Or how about a center mount antenna with a hole in the middle that's sturdy enough to lift the phone with repeatedly and would allow you to trap the phone securely between your thumb and forefinger?

FWIW, I use two cases. For home/dressier use, I have a calfskin holster with a Velcro strap. It stands off my hip a little too much to use for work, so I went to the local Menards (a midwest home improvement store) and got a member of the Bucket Buddy family. It has a wide metal clip and a wide flap over the top. it's canvas, and padded. For about $2, it's a great case for work.

Unless the antenna catches, of course.
    "Roads? Where we're going we don't
    <i>need</i> roads!"

well i have dropped my 7135 several times resulting in only minor scratches.

i definately need to get some egrips to help me hold on to the Treo now as well as a case that does not stick out so far and had a harder cover over the screen. the one i have now is very soft with the screen facing out so its still vulnerable.

I have dropped my 650 onto carpet, hardwood floors, and concrete/asphalt more times than I can count. So far the only damage is a slight nick on the upper right edge and an even less noticeable one on the antenna.

I no longer keep mine in the case even so the falls have all been from 4-5 feet off the ground without any protection.

I am sure the screen will break if I abuse it to much but so far it has help up better than anyone should expect it to.

1st drop of 650 today did not break screen, but caused the keypad to be completely unresponsive. Neither soft or hard reset will fix it. It was a pretty short drop to vinyl flooring.

(FYI, dropped the 7135 seemingly countles times with only minor cosmetic damage.....)

Beth

Fully Undaunted
    1 month old 650 slid out of my open top case and feel apx. 5 feet onto blacktop parking area. Hit first on bottom right corner, then bounced up in the air about 1 foot. Card poped out, and phone fell face down on blacktop. Scratched the little oval where the earpiece speaker is and took a very small divot out of the bottom corner. After I found the card, I checked everything and it all still works just fine. No damage to the screen or the front of the phone at all except the earpiece. I guess I was very lucky, I am searching for a new case right now, hopefully one that will hide the small damage.
    Oh... what a tangled web we weave!!

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar
    I was lucky enough to join this thread today with a 4 foot Treo650 fall from a Freightliner truck as I removed it from its horizontal Bellagio case to answer a call.
    It has been safely tucked away in this case for months with only one other drop related incident in the past. A quick HackySack style (great description adopted from above) kick saved it a few months ago. Only ElasticMan could have kick-saved it this time from this height.
    Falling at what seemed like 100 miles per hour, my beloved Treo650 slammed on the concrete below. It got some air on the rebound and landed on its back about 6 feet away from the truck. I cringed as my newly implanted 2nd heart appeared to commit suicide right before my eyes. Top right corner took the brunt. Screen looks good. Can it be!!!!!!!

YES !!!!! It's alive. Thank God!!!
    Works perfect. I was shocked.

Don't answer your Treo when climbing out of a 6 foot high big rig. It's like dangeling your baby over a balcony!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)