+ Reply to Thread

7135's dead dead dead....650 on the way

I'm gettin' a 650! My 7135 is dead, and Verizon's replacing it with the Treo.

(dunno if this is the right forum for this, but since I mention the 650... )
    My Kyocera 7135 started acting up yesterday - I was out at a car club event yesterday, hanging out in a parking lot, in plain sight of a cell tower. In the morning, I received a phone call from my parents while there. A short time later, my phone started "Searching..." and wouldn't grab a signal, even though people around me had one. Afterwards, I drove to my brother's house, and reset the phone, pulled the battery, etc. It showed up with the message "Service required. Contact Provider" on the screen. The palm aspect of the phone was fine, it was the phone service that was inactive. It did come back for a bit, and I ran Verizon's *228 to 'update' it, but it crapped out before I got home.

Eventually, I pulled the battery and let it sit for a while. I had to re-sync it with my PC, and after then, it worked, and I made a call to voice mail. Then it died again.

I ended up calling Verizon, and they directed me to a service center. I went there this morning, and they passed me off to a help line for smartphones. After a few steps, I did a full reset, and it's back to it's initial state, with nothing on it besides the default apps, and still I don't have a working phone.

So, after working with the service rep, they are sending me the 650, apparently gratis. She said that the 7135s have been nothing but trouble for them.

I've had this same phone since 6/2003, and aside from the known minor quirks, it's worked fairly well. I did scratch the graffiti number pad, so it did screw up numbers on occasion. I wasn't one of those people getting the frequent crashes or other weirdness. I did intend to replace it with a 650 when I had the cash to upgrade, but now, presumably, it's not costing me anything.

I can't wait for my new 650!

They're going to charge you sales tax. I, too, was upgraded for "free" but found a $37+ charge on my latest bill for "equipment". I haven't called them yet, but I can only assume that it's a tax charge.

Ditto here. 7135 + SRCP = 650 + sales tax charge.

By the way, for the past few months VZW has been charging me for data every month at the $0.015 per kb (which sounds a lot cheaper than $15 per MB...) rate despite the fact that I'm a Minutes Of Usage guy. Every month I get the charge, every month I call, every month they issue me the credit and promise it won't happen again. BUT now I have the 650 which normally means you pay the $50 for unlimited data, or $15 per MB. I made my most recent call AFTER I received and activated the Treo 650. I talked to a manager this time who assured me I'd be on MOU (said the "account wasn't set up properly" before...) So supposedly I'm on MOU for the Treo now due to a lucky coincidence of timing. We'll see...

I mention this in case you're in a similar situation, which I know some of you are, it's worth the call.

And like the rest of us former 7135 lovers, you will like most of what the 650 gives you but really miss that tri-band radio that worked EVERYWHERE for me. I get lots of cannot dial, drops and just plain conversations that quit in mid-voice with my 650. Having said that there is much to like about the 650 as well but one does come away wishing that the phone parts of the 650 were more impressive.

Originally posted by rbyham
    I get lots of cannot dial, drops and just plain conversations that quit in mid-voice with my 650.
    Here in NJ, I rarely get analog - most of the state is digital. I hope the coverage is as good as it seems.

Fully Undaunted
    When my 4th or 5th, (can't remember I had so many) 7135 died on my I went to the local VZW store here in Va. They gave me a new Treo 600 free, no hidden charges, sales tax or anything. I used it for 8 months until it developed screen/display problems. Went back to the same store, they said we don't sell the 600 anymore and replaced it with a brand new 650! No sales tax, no fee of any kind. So far I love this 650, much better than the 600. But I must confess if I still have a soft spot fro the "35". the concept was fantastic, the function just did not live up. Good Luck with your new phone.
    Oh... what a tangled web we weave!!

Originally posted by thost71
    They're going to charge you sales tax. I, too, was upgraded for "free" but found a $37+ charge on my latest bill for "equipment". I haven't called them yet, but I can only assume that it's a tax charge.

Well, I just got the new bill today, and there are no extra charges or taxes. I did get billed for Internet Usage because I don't have a data plan, but that's about it. Maybe I'll get charged next cycle, perhaps this one was too soon for them to add it.
    Last edited by RoyBatty; 09-20-2005 at 09:23 AM.

What is MOU

Greetings,

What is this MOU? I am paying for unlimited because the pay as you go is even more expensive.

Thanks,

Dave

Its "minutes of useage" and forget about adding it to your plan, its not offered anymore and only those people who were grandfathered in have it for the most part.