+ Reply to Thread

Thread: i500 to 650

i500 to 650

Well, I've had about enough of the limitations on the i500 and am seriously considering moving to the 650...my only concern is whether I will still be able to connect to the Vision internet via USB and my laptop. Is this difficult to do, i.e. the i500 was basically plug and play in this respect (instruction would be much appreciated - I did a search of the 650 forum and am a bit confused not being familiar with the Treo)? Thank you in advance.

Yes, it is possible and very easy to do but you will need to purchase the PDANet software. See www.junefabrics.com for details.

or the free bluetooth DUN patch develop by www.shadowmite.com

You might not even need the DUN patch depending on which Treo 650 you're getting.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Originally posted by jhawkinca
    or the free bluetooth DUN patch develop by www.shadowmite.com
    That's if he wants to use bluetooth. For USB (what's he asking about), PDANet is the only option I am aware of for PC use.

Question

If my computer is Bluetooth capable, once I install the Shadowmite .prc will I be able to connect to the Treo 650 out of the box or do I need a Bluetooth card in the Treo? Thank you.

The Treo 650 has bluetooth builtin so you don't need a bluetooth card for the Treo. The Shadowmite hack is not needed for Sprint 650s or for the generic Palm GSM 650. Cingular and Verizon 650s require the Shadowmite hack I believe but haven't checked to be sure.

moving from I500 to T650

has anyone made this move? If so, what process did you follow to carry over all your contacts and datebook entries?

I'm looking at the instructions posted in the sticky at the top of this forum, but I can't seem to select all entries in my datebook so i'm not sure how i can get my datebook info over to the new Treo.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jason
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/communi...x15/blue_1.gif
    Get FireFox!

phones: Sam 8500, Sam a460, Sam i500, Treo 650
    Plan: $39.99= 750AT/3000NW@8/UnlPcs2Pcs/FIMF + $10 Vision + $5 SMS

you might have to beam them over one at a time

each individual appointment?

There is no other way to transfer this date? The datebook data files won't work right, i can't just move the old one into th enew directory??

Thanks
    Jason
    Get FireFox!

i500 to 650

I made this move and everything transferred effortlessly. I didn't have to do anything special beyond syncing the new 650.

bsappenf,

could you you please explain your steps?

Did you literally just sync your new Treo with the old i500 username and therefore sync all your apps and info. over to the T650? or how did you get your contacts and appoints to move over?
    Get FireFox!

I was reading up on this very thing (moving outlook information from i500 to Treo 650) and saw the thread that came before this one: How to transfer your data from your old Palm device to the Treo 650

Probably wanna check that out before syching to old profile. Let me know how easy this really is!

Re: i500 to 650

Originally posted by bsappenf
    I made this move and everything transferred effortlessly. I didn't have to do anything special beyond syncing the new 650.
    good luck with that. you are more than likely going to run into some major stability issues down the road with your 650 due to I500 specific files/settings getting move over to your 650. No offense, but your method was probably the worst way to go about it.

All:

What this person did will transfer over all your settings, files, programs, and contacts/appts to the 650 but you will have major issues down the road in terms of stability (random soft resets, lockups, etc). His method is easier (simply syncing the 650 to the old username) but I would NOT recommend following the same procedure at all. Take your chances if you want!

Last edited by Marty; 11-17-2005 at 04:52 PM.

There's one problem with your instructions Marty. Once Sprint swaps out the older smartphone we only have the backup folder left from the last sync. Thus it is not possible to complete steps 4 & 5. All I can do at this point are:

Uninstall the previous Palm software.

Install the 650 software.

Sync the Treo.

Then replace new backup folder and/or parts therein with the previous backup folder.

Note: I beamed my contacts over from my i500 before I left the Sprint store. I was told in the store I would have to do this for each individual Datebook entry. Thus I declined. Is there any way to sync the datebook information to the 650 from the backup without causing down the road instability issues??

Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    good luck with that. you are more than likely going to run into some major stability issues down the road with your 650 due to I500 specific files/settings getting move over to your 650. No offense, but your method was probably the worst way to go about it.

All:

What this person did will transfer over all your settings, files, programs, and contacts/appts to the 650 but you will have major issues down the road in terms of stability (random soft resets, lockups, etc). His method is easier (simply syncing the 650 to the old username) but I would NOT recommend following the same procedure at all. Take your chances if you want!