+ Reply to Thread

ProClip came today for Treo 650 . . .

Of course the price for two pieces of plastic was crazy at around $70 for both plus $8.50 shipping but when a company puts out a quality product that fits ones EXACT needs I don't mind paying for it.

I hate to see someone with a nice car hang some flimsy Mickey Mouse set up to hold their phone, PDA or GPS.

I have to say this is a great product that stocks a different base mount for probably every car. Snapped in place in two secs and looks great. Nice solid feel to the setup too, looks like it came OEM with the cars dash.

I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 with a pop out cup holder in the upper dash. The ProClip's design even allows for a cutout in the mount which still allows for full operation of the cup holder, this is impressive.

You can save $10 without the swivel mount, but that swivel allows the Treo to be adjusted so the sun isn't reflecting of the screen so I recommend spending the xtra $10.

Here's a link to what it looks like mounted in various locations on a dash:
    http://www.proclipusa.com/vehiclemo...iclemounts.aspx

Mine looks like the one to the right of the radio.

OK here is the only DOWNSIDE . . . My Wife has a Saab too. As soon as she saw it, of course now she wants one for her Cellphone
    Last edited by Expidia; 09-01-2005 at 09:53 PM.
    Palm III, V>6035>7135>6035>650>700p>755p (on Vzn), Palm's BT Treo Hdset,

Congratz

Expidia,

congrats on you proclip solution. I have had 2 cars and two different phones and I have used the proclip angled mount with a tilt & swivel holder in both my 2003 G35 Sedan and 2005 G35x, with both my old Kyoceria 7135 and now with my Treo 650. Its amazing how it looks like it was OEM. And it is easy to remove and leaves no marks when you do remove it, for all those like me who lease their cars.

gperr

Re: Congratz

Originally posted by gperr
    Expidia,

congrats on you proclip solution. I have had 2 cars and two different phones and I have used the proclip angled mount with a tilt & swivel holder in both my 2003 G35 Sedan and 2005 G35x, with both my old Kyoceria 7135 and now with my Treo 650. Its amazing how it looks like it was OEM. And it is easy to remove and leaves no marks when you do remove it, for all those like me who lease their cars.

gperr
    Expidia Says: Ya it looks great now. I'm tempted to go for the GPS option now because it at such a great angle to the driver.
    This screen appears larger then my Garmin Emap which is close in size to the 650 but maybe 1-2 inches longer but screen is B&W and hard to read.

I'll have to check out the threads here and over at TreoCentral to see what other opinions are.

I've been using ProClip for years (7135 -> 650) and it's great for all the reasons above. Anyone know if they have a device holder that works with any of the XM Radio devices? Their web site doesn't mention it and I haven't gotten a reply to my email to them.

Jeff,
    These mounts are compatable with the Pro Clip Pro Fit . They have the standard AMPS mounting holes. There are several for satellite radio.
    Good luck,
    Keith S.

Yeah, I've been using the ProClip in my 2000 Ford Explorer and it really is great.

Exipida, like you I thought the 650 was in a great position with the ProClip for GPS and it really works well. I use TomTom Navigator 5 and the results are simply outstanding. I had to bring a cousin of mine and her parents to Syracuse, NY where she is starting college. I can't begin to tell you how valuable the GPS was. I was originally using an i.Trek S1 GPS using a Bluetooth accessory and while it was good, there were times when getting the initial Bluettoth link were problematic. So I bought a cable that connects the GPS directly to the bottom of the Treo 650. Much better results. There is the added benefit that the Treo is always charged.

But no matter which way you go, Bluetooth or wired... the simple fact remains that the Treo 650 w/ TomTom 5 is a fantastic package and the ProClip is exactly the holder you need.

Good luck.

Originally posted by SteveNYC
    Yeah, I've been using the ProClip in my 2000 Ford Explorer and it really is great.

Exipida, like you I thought the 650 was in a great position with the ProClip for GPS and it really works well. I use TomTom Navigator 5 and the results are simply outstanding. I had to bring a cousin of mine and her parents to Syracuse, NY where she is starting college. I can't begin to tell you how valuable the GPS was. I was originally using an i.Trek S1 GPS using a Bluetooth accessory and while it was good, there were times when getting the initial Bluettoth link were problematic. So I bought a cable that connects the GPS directly to the bottom of the Treo 650. Much better results. There is the added benefit that the Treo is always charged.

But no matter which way you go, Bluetooth or wired... the simple fact remains that the Treo 650 w/ TomTom 5 is a fantastic package and the ProClip is exactly the holder you need.

Thx Steve: I'll look at the Tom Tom as the Garmin Emap I'm using now with it's low res green screen is very hard to read. As soon as I come up with a few bucks I'll go for the Tom Tom!

Good luck.

Another benefit of *not* using a Bluetooth GPS and using a cable instead is that you can then use the Bluetooth connectivity for a headset (since only one Bluetooth connection can be maintained at a time). As an example, I was driving to a friends block party in Staten Island this weekend and I received a call while I was driving; using the GPS of course. I picked up the call on the Bluetooth headset and as soon as the call was connected, the Treo returned to the TomTom software.

Just note that to do this (returning back to TomTom Navigator 5 after a call is successfully connected) you need to apply the 5.12 patch from TomTom's website.

I have to admit that I am not fond of the wires, but the improvement in fuctionality is worth it to me.

Just thought you might find that interesting.

Originally posted by SteveNYC
    Another benefit of *not* using a Bluetooth GPS and using a cable instead is that you can then use the Bluetooth connectivity for a headset (since only one Bluetooth connection can be maintained at a time). As an example, I was driving to a friends block party in Staten Island this weekend and I received a call while I was driving; using the GPS of course. I picked up the call on the Bluetooth headset and as soon as the call was connected, the Treo returned to the TomTom software.

Just note that to do this (returning back to TomTom Navigator 5 after a call is successfully connected) you need to apply the 5.12 patch from TomTom's website.

I have to admit that I am not fond of the wires, but the improvement in fuctionality is worth it to me.

Just thought you might find that interesting.
    Expidia Says: Thx Steve, BTW can I get a Tom Tom 5 with receiver for less than $299 or is this the going rate?

Expidia,

$299? Heck, I can't even find one that goes that *high*!! How about $179?

Check out this page at Semsons:

http://www.semsons.com/tombungpspac.html

These are all of their available bundles that include the TomTom software. The most expensive one is $284.99 and that's to buy the TomTom bundle of both the software and their own Bluetooth GPS.

Although I did not purchase mine as a bundle, You could replicate what I have by simply purchasing the S1 mouse GPS/TomTom bundle for $179.99. That's all you need.

I actually purchased the S1 mouse GPS a little over a year ago from Semsons as part of a bundle with Mapopolis. So once I got the TomTom Navigator software, all I needed to buy was the $16 cable.

Personally, the bundle that I like is the Holux GPSslim236/TomTom bundle. I like the Holux because it has the newer SiRF III chipset and because it can be used both as a Bluetooth GPS or as a Serial GPS with the Treo 650. But I am slightly concerned that there might be a slight incompatability with the GPSslim 236 and the Treo 650. Some people have reported an issue with it in Bluetooth mode and some have not. The issue seems to involve maintaining a Bluetooth connection from time to time.

On the other hand, if you like the setup I described, but want the better SiRFIII chipset, then get the i.Trek S3 bundle.

Either way, you are going to be pleased with the setup.

Thx Steve

I like the I.trek setup. $169 or so sounds great. I'll order one in a few weeks!