+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sending mail using business connect

I've just installed Sprint's business connect on my treo and it works like a charm. I've run into one problem though. I have it set to go in and check the mail in my inbox. I am also able to go into mydocuments and retrieve a file. However when I've retrieved a file and I try to e-mail it to someone else it appears to send but never goes through. Then when I get home and open outlook the message is in my outbox and sends when I hit send/receive. Is there any way to configure it to send the file from my treo?

are you performing a sync in business connect?

yeah, just tried that. same result!

not sure the issue is, i jsut tried it myself and it worked fine for me.

do you have teh latest business connect software? you can download it directly from teh Treo

do you leave outlook open on your pc, as I don't. Each time I go back to my pc I open outlook and there is my message in the outbox. When i hit send/receive it goes.

no, outlook is not running on my machine, but the PC is always on the network.

so can you send and recieve mail without attachments ok?

that doesn't work either!!

Seems like I've got it set up the same way as you, so don't know what the deal is.

Are you using Microsoft Exchange Server?
    When you sync does your new mail come in? The inbox on my Treo will only match the inbox on my pc. What I mean is that there may be more mail on my web server, but the Treo doesn't download it. I can only download it via send/receive on the desktop. After that when I sync the new mail appears on my Treo.

you have the PC application setup and on all the time? does it show as connected (green)?

I am using MS Exchange Server. I get new mail pushed to my Treo within 1-2 minutes of receiving it in my account.

I have unlimited data so my Treo is always connected to PCS Vision.

Sounds like your PC application is not online all the time. It needs to be running on a PC 24/7 and always connected to the network

Appreciate your help on this. I'm determined to figure this out. I do show as connected, and it is running constantly on my machine which is on 24/7. I'm not getting any mail pushed to my Treo throughout the day. Is this a setting somewhere, or is there an issue with my e-mail provider?

are you using an exchange server or regular POP/IMAP setup? mentioning 'my e-mail provider' makes me wonder if you are actually using an exchange server.

if you are not using an exchange server make sure all your settings are correct. If a POP account, your provider may be limiting the number of times you can check mail per hour and may also require authentication via POP prior to being able to access SMTP to send mail

went away for labor day weekend and left outlook open and running on my home pc and everything worked fine. It sent my mail to the Treo regularly, and I was able to send mails and files attached to them.

It looks like in order for it to work for me I'm going to have to leave outlook open. A little frustrating as I like to use my laptop to check mial also, and once my desktop downloads the mail it's off the server!

still sounds like the Connect software is not setup properly. you should setup the COnnect program with your email account info so i tcan access it directly and not through Outlook.

Originally posted by acedj1
    went away for labor day weekend and left outlook open and running on my home pc and everything worked fine. It sent my mail to the Treo regularly, and I was able to send mails and files attached to them.

It looks like in order for it to work for me I'm going to have to leave outlook open. A little frustrating as I like to use my laptop to check mial also, and once my desktop downloads the mail it's off the server!
    If you want to use your laptop to check email, you can go to bc.sprintpcs.com and login there. There, you will have access to your Outlook inbox via a webmail type interface.

Originally posted by ohvhost
    still sounds like the Connect software is not setup properly. you should setup the COnnect program with your email account info so i tcan access it directly and not through Outlook.
    No, its setup correctly, its just different from your setup. You can setup BC to push email to you as it arrives in your Outlook inbox (thus why Outlook needs to remain open on the desktop). Often times, corporate email is not accessible via POP/IMAP and thus it is not possible to access the email server directly as you have suggested this user do. Leaving the Outlook inbox open and having email pushed to you as it arrives in the Outlook inbox via BC is a popular alternative to users who want mobile access to email but whose companies don't allow POP/IMAP access.

well my machine in the office is running the BC software for me. Outlook is not open and I only provide the username, password and domain with Exchange option set under messaging. Maybe that info is allowing BC access to Outlook in the background.

BTW, I am using Outlook 2003.

I get mail pushed to me immediately without Outlook open and my office does not allow IMAP. Not sure if OWA requires POP or not since OWA is a sync based setup.

well my machine in the office is running the BC software for me. Outlook is not open and I only provide the username, password and domain with Exchange option set under messaging. Maybe that info is allowing BC access to Outlook in the background.

BTW, I am using Outlook 2003.

I get mail pushed to me immediately without Outlook open and my office does not allow IMAP. Not sure if OWA requires POP or not since OWA is a sync based setup.
    Its different for you since you are on an Exchange server. The user acedj1 talks about running Outlook on his home computer thus he is almost surely using Outlook via POP/IMAP to check his email. This is how I have mine setup and I need to have Outlook open on my home computer to have emails pushed to me.

I can setup BC to use IMAP or POP server for messaging. You have to provide all the server and account info, but I would think (have not tried it) that with such info, it could connect to the mail server without having to go through outlook.

I can setup BC to use IMAP or POP server for messaging. You have to provide all the server and account info, but I would think (have not tried it) that with such info, it could connect to the mail server without having to go through outlook.
    Yes, that is definitely possible to do with BC. Thus, if in fact acedj1 is using Outlook via POP/IMAP to check his email, he really doesn't need Outlook open and can just setup the account in BC to use POP/IMAP instead. However, in my case, I have multiple email accounts delivered to my single Outlook inbox thus I get all these emails pushed to me at once into a single Inbox on the Treo whereas if I setup BC to use POP/IMAP, I would have to switch accounts for each one to view the new emails for each account.

i find using keeping multiple accounts separate much easier given my needs. i use BC for work email (Echange) and then just use Snapper for my personal/business (own a small side business) mail with scheduled download when i am out.

i do understand the need fo ryour setup as well, i jsut did not consider it.

This is all starting to make a bit more sense now.It looks like I could set up bc to check my mail through the POP setup. This would mean i could leave outlook closed. The problem with that though is that one of the features I want to use is file forwarding, where I will find a file in mydocuments and then forward it via e-mail to wherevr I happen to be at that time. I don't think I can do this through the pop set up, and to do it via exchange set up I have to leave outlook open!!

Sound right?