+ Reply to Thread

Treo BT vs Logitech Mobile Freedom

A few weeks ago I purchased a Treo 650 and paired it with the Logitech Mobile Freedom BT headset. This is my first experience with a bluetooth headset. It paired up easily and initially I was impressed with the volume level, sound quality and comfort. However, I'm a bit concerned about these three areas and wonder if I should try the new Treo BT headset, or any others for that matter.

Volume: On two calls to the same number, during ringing, the volume suddenly cut from loud to weak. To all other numbers it has worked fine.

Sound Quality: I notice weak static or crackling intermittantly, both in a building and outside.

Comfort: The ear loop is stiff and tends to dig into the back of my ear unless the end is adjusted near the top instead of the back. Security on the ear is excellent when it hurts, and only slightly floppy when it hurts less.

The WindStop technology seems to work well.

It's a bit large, but I actually like the styling, and it seems very durable.

Has anyone tried both the new Treo and the Logitech Mobile Freedom for comparison?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Samsung i330 > palmOne Treo 650
    palmOne case. Bluespoon AX2 bluetooth headset. SanDisk Ultra II 1.0GB SD Card.

I too and using the mobile freedom and have noticed the same issues you have mentioned except the volume issue with the one number. My performance has been great otherwise with minimal static. I find puttin the Treo on the same side as the heqadset will decrease stactic. Even though I don't use it all the time, I am pleased. I still like my wired Plantronics headset. The Mobile freedom works fine except in the car as the volume is just not loud enough for me. So the wired set coupled with VolumeCare is great for the car!

Thanks for your response gottago.

After a bit more use with the Logitech headset, the sudden volume change has not recurred. I have had no other volume problems.

As for the static, it seems to occur most often in hotels with wi-fi access. I know that the Logitech Mobile Freedom headset supports bluetooth 1.2 which allows frequency hopping to minimize interference with radio signals such as wi-fi. Unfortunately the Treo 650 is only bluetooth 1.1 and I would assume that it is unable to take advantage of the 1.2 standard.

The ear loop comfort is still a problem, so I take it off if I'm not expecting a call. If I do wear it, I find myself readjusting it when I start to feel the pinch. I might try some kind of a glove to put over the end.

I don't know how well the Treo Bluetooth headset performs in the wind. The Logitech's Windstop technology works well and I wouldn't want to give that up if I can find a way to make the ear loop more comfortable. I've read that the Treo headset is a bit floppy, while the Logitech is not.

I've also read that the Treo headset has minimal static and good range, but I don't know if it's better than the Logitech. Anybody out there really happy with their Treo headset?
    Last edited by azxcpt; 09-12-2005 at 08:31 PM.
    Samsung i330 > palmOne Treo 650
    palmOne case. Bluespoon AX2 bluetooth headset. SanDisk Ultra II 1.0GB SD Card.