+ Reply to Thread

Access agrees to buy PalmSource for $324M

This is very interesting.

"Japanese software company Access Co., maker of the NetFront Internet browser for mobile devices, said Friday it has agreed to buy PalmSource Inc., maker of the Palm operating system for handheld computers and cell phones, for $324 million in cash."

Doesn't the road to the next treo get a little more interesting now. It was rumored that palmsource wanted to join back with Palm, but it is now official that it did not happen.

This definetely weights well in the favor that Palm may definetely be working on a Windows version for its Treo line since it didn't take back palmsource. Of course, that is just my opinion and there are a million other reasons not to take back palmsource.

But now, Palmsource is teamed with the guys from Netfront. There browser technology has been at the top if not the very top of the mobile browser market. This type of integration would be very interesting for future Palm OS's that would be PDA/Phone installable.

Looks like I am going to hold off for another few months before picking up my first PDA Phone.

PalmSource is suppose to be working on a Linux mobile OS.

Originally posted by lyoung
    PalmSource is suppose to be working on a Linux mobile OS.
    ...or Windows Mobile which is more appealing to corporate customers.

Either way, the next Treo will not have PalmOS. The sale has confrimed it is no longer a viable mobile OS.

Originally posted by Richard Lee
    ...or Windows Mobile which is more appealing to corporate customers.

Either way, the next Treo will not have PalmOS. The sale has confrimed it is no longer a viable mobile OS.
    No, Palmsource is a software-only company repsonsible for the PalmOS. Palm (formerly PalmOne) is the hardware company repsonible for the Treo smartphone and they are free to use whatever OS they choose.

You are likely correct that the next Treo will be running Windows Mobile but that doesn't mean a PalmOS Treo will not follow later. There are many, many people who will not use Windows Mobile and Palm isn't so dumb as to ignore this segment and the money that can be made from them.

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar
    Anyone find out why Access offered nearly double the stock price? Seems like a strange move to me. Any clarity from the peanut gallery?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Despite the fact that Palm is losing market share to window based phones it is still a very large market for Palm. On top of that there are millions of applications written for the Palm OS. They are also buying the work to date in the development of a mobile Linux OS. They are buying entry into a large market. It was LG that signed a new contract with Palm source and the next Treo phone may be the Linux version. I bet there are tough negotiations going on. Also Palmsource was a sleep at the wheel. A new company may think with a few fixes with Palm orwith Linux and they are back in the game.