+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MobiTV

MobiTV

I'm surprised there is no thread for this service yet! This is a killer app on the treo 650. I signed up ($9.95/month), downloaded the software, did a sync, and now I have 20 plus live television channels on my phone. I'm on Verizon, and have the unlimmited data plan. This is awesome.

www.MobiTV.com

this looks interesting, but i have to pay $9.99 without a demo period?

not likely

Here is a link to purchase:

http://www.mobitv.com/treo.html

Treo Fanatic
    I could not find any Demo I could try to use on my phone directly. I ponied up a month to see what it was like as a couple of the channels in particular look good to me.

My trial was relatively short tonight. The picture was somewhat jerky and blocky at times, but mostly watchable and useable. I think I will find it handy at work some nights.

If I don't like it, I will just stop using it in 30 days. There is no long term commitment.

Anyone have any issues with no sound? I get video just fine but no sound at all. All volume settings are maxed out as well.
    Mark Mebane

Turn the switch from vibrate to ring mode and you'll hear the sound.

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

Question MobiTV for Verizon USA ?????

Originally posted by MikeAllard
    I'm surprised there is no thread for this service yet! This is a killer app on the treo 650. I signed up ($9.95/month), downloaded the software, did a sync, and now I have 20 plus live television channels on my phone. I'm on Verizon, and have the unlimmited data plan. This is awesome.

www.MobiTV.com

What is your location?
    I am on Verizon also and looked at this MobiTv website a week ago. From my trip to the site I saw Verizon USA was not included. It does not say Verizon USA as a compatible provider. Only Verizon International. Are you using this MobiTv in the US?
    If it is possible, MobiTv is very stupid for not telling us.
    Last edited by mikeyis009; 09-13-2005 at 05:00 AM.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Sent email to MobiTV. Will post response on Verizon USA yes or no.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

I am using it in the US. All over the East Coast, so far. The MobiTV website does not list Verizon US, and I think it might be because Verizon does not want us using it? It does, however, work great.

I had to pull my 10 year old son last week away fromt he TV to do an erand. He was pissed! While in the car, I asked what he had been watching. He said Discovery. I cued it up, and he watched the rest of his show! I had to explain to him that I don't get most channels that he watches and this was a fluke, but it was pretty cool.

I was in the doctor's waiting room today when I got an email from treocentral that mentioned it. I followed the link, read the marketing blurb, downloaded the app to the SD card and ran it to install the necessary files on the phone.

Tried the demo - not bad. I'm not sure it's worth $10/mo to me, though. Actually, I know it's not, unless I take the bus to work more often. That's the only time I would really need it. I have a TV at home and if I want to, I can stream it from my Media Center PC while at work, so I don't have many other occasions to use it.

BTW, I'm on Verizon in the L.A. area.

I was fortunate to get in on the demo... and signed up immediately when the service went live. $10 per month isn't cheap, but MobiTV is too cool to not have, lol

I would really like to see streaming versions of actual TV channels though... like give me the real ESPN News channel! Hopefully someday
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

how are you billed? is it automatically charged? or do you have to pay eah month to keep using? I may want to try for a month but do not want auto biling each month.

you go to this site:

http://www.handmark.com/mobitv/cart....dd&product=554

you then enter in your credit card information and purchase your 1st month of service and the card will be automatically billed each month roughly on that same day.

what if you only wish to try it for a month?

you can purchase it then cancel your account the next day (or maybe even immediately) and you won't be billed again. even though you will have cancelled your account, you will still have the service for the full 30 days because you paid the full $10 price, there's no way to pay less for only a few days of use.

Jae
    I wonder if Verizon is going to say something about my increased MB usage. In my first 5 days of trial I logged on mover than 110MB. I usually use about 45 MB per month on just email.
    J

almost nothing

Originally posted by Jae
    I wonder if Verizon is going to say something about my increased MB usage. In my first 5 days of trial I logged on mover than 110MB. I usually use about 45 MB per month on just email.
    that's nothing. you gotta do 10 times that for them to care.

Thumbs up Official MobiTV response about Verizon

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting MobiTV.

MobiTV is now available on the Palm Treo 650 for Verizon customers! Please
    use the link below to download the application.

http://www.mobitv.com/treo.html

Currently, MobiTV is only available on the Palm Treo 650 for Verizon.
    However, MobiTV will be available for other phones models in the future. If
    you have any future questions about MobiTV, please email support@mobitv.com
    or call us toll free at 1-866-981-1303 ext 300. Our office is open
    Monday-Friday from 7:00am to 6:00pm PST.

Thank you,

MobiTV Customer Service

============

A little late as many threads already indicate that is works, but there it is.
    An official, yes it works from MobiTV.

Enjoy your toy!

Diamonds on my neck.
    Love the idea - its got a lot of potential - but the programming sucks. Some, not all, of the channels are live. MSNBC and CSPAN air in real time. I could hold my phone up to my TV at home and those two channels run identically minus a slight delay. The rest of the stuff is several day old clips. Being a 365 day sports nut, I was especially dissapointed with the ESPN channel. Instead of showing an entire episode of Baseball Tonight, they air a segment of it (the one I watched LAST NIGHT was one of the BB2night crew breaking down the 1st game of the Yanks-Red Sox series). It then cut to, of all things, a segment of the World Series of Poker but of course, not of any tournament play but instead a meaningless segment of "The Nuts" for those of you who watch WSOP.

Im cancelling my subscription soon. If they could just show up to date clips, or maybe full length programs, I might keep it. But Im not paying $10 a month to watch an old episode of Cold Pizza arguing who should be baseball's MVP...twice in two days.

I am very disappointed with MobiTV on the Treo 650. I really thought it would look so much better then it does. I mean come on, the Treo is basically a computer with access to a high speed data network. So I was expecting more.
    Sprint Treo 650: Fair& Flexible National 800Min Family plan with the America roaming option included. $10 Unlimited PDA/Visions access, $4 Equipment replacement, 10% Loyalty discount and free PCS-PCS.