+ Reply to Thread

Bluetooth Hotsync issues

Have searched the forum unsuccessfully for a thread on problems connecting via Bluetooth for Hotsync.

I did find some minor discussions about speed, etc. but nothing specific for my problem.

I've had BT HS working since I got the 650 (about 2 months). Suddenly my BT HS stopped working and I get a message stating "com port in use by another application - HS will open when it is available"

I have tried removing, renaming, reassigning the ports to no success. I've also rebooted several times - still broken.

Only thing I can think of is I finally got a BT headset and started using it about 3 days ago - this is the first time I've tried to BT HS since then. Does the 650 have a problem with using both BT connections at the same time?

Thanks for your help - I'm sure its been an issue in the past, I must've not used the right search terms

Do you use bluetooth dial-up networking? If so you have to turn that off (on the Bluetooth preferences page on the Treo, not on your PC/Mac) before you can HotSync. Also on that page, make sure that Bluetooth is turned on and that the device name (i.e. your HotSync ID) is correct.

Might not be your problem, but something to be checked anyway. Maybe those settings got changed when you paired with the headset.

No I don't use BT DUN. I have checked my prefs and reset my settings on both Phone and PC. Still not successfully connecting. I'm still getting the "Port in use" error when I sync - PC sees my phone as a BT device, Phone sees PC - but there seems to be a conflict with Hotsync and the virtual Com port that I don't know how to fix - I've tried changing com port from 4 to 5 - but still not working.

you enabled the 'Local' hotsync method, correct? you can set it up but you need to enable it also

Yes - enabled Local on HS setup. I even tried to re-install HS. Still not working.

is your bluetooth driver setup on the PC have the serial port enabled and configured to the right port still?

So - I managed to fix the problem by doing a soft reset - I guess that should have been the first thing I did when it started acting up.

I'm always hesistant to do resets, but should start doing them more often when having weird problems in the future.

Thanks to everyone for helping out!