+ Reply to Thread

Switching to Sprint for 650

I've seen some folks mention in the threads about the discounts and incentives they got on their Treos when they switched to Sprint. I am getting ready to jettison Verizon for Sprint and want to minimize the amount I have to pay for the phone, since my 7135 is acting up enough that Verizon would likely replace it if I stuck around. I would appreciate any advice you have regarding how much would be reasonable to expect for someone switching to Sprint to pay for the Treo. Amazon's deal on it right now is crap, so any suggestions would be great.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Go to http://store.treocentral.com as they have a pretty good deal! Print out the offer on the site and take it to a Sprint store. That's what I did and they matched the price. They handled the rebate by applying the same amount as a credit to my account.
    Michael

Thanks! I printed it out and will look around the area for a good Sprint store (in the DC area they are very hit-or-miss). A couple of thoughts, though. Treocentral only sells 650's for a 2-yr. contract, so I don't know how much of a difference the offer would be between a 1-yr. and a 2-yr. I am a bit reluctant to go with the 2 year since the added discount never seems to equal the longer risk on the early termination fee and I could end up moving out of the area next year.

Do you know how much leeway a store person is going to have to bargain? For instance, I would be willing to go with a 2yr. deal if I got unlimited txt messages for free, since I have that right now in-network with Verizon and the monetary value makes the extended contract risk more of a wash for me. (Actually, I could have sworn that TXT messages were included in Vision before). I just know that some of the folks on here like Robert K. have insanely good Sprint plans, and TAButler mentioned getting a really good deal too.

I will definitely use the TreoCentral as a good starting point, Michael. Thanks...
    Last edited by BrerLapn; 09-20-2005 at 06:38 PM.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    The leeway they give you depends on the person you talk to at the store, and on your attitude/demeanor when dealing with them. The lady that I got my deal through took it to her manager for approval. He was going to match the higher Cingular price until I pointed out that's what he was looking at and redirected his attention to the Sprint price. Still, he was very cool about it and happily matched the offer. Be cool to them, and most likely they'll return the favor.
    Michael

Re: Switching to Sprint for 650

Originally posted by BrerLapn
    I've seen some folks mention in the threads about the discounts and incentives they got on their Treos when they switched to Sprint. I am getting ready to jettison Verizon for Sprint and want to minimize the amount I have to pay for the phone, since my 7135 is acting up enough that Verizon would likely replace it if I stuck around. I would appreciate any advice you have regarding how much would be reasonable to expect for someone switching to Sprint to pay for the Treo. Amazon's deal on it right now is crap, so any suggestions would be great.

If you tell Sprint you are considering switching to them because Verizon will not give you a good deal on a Treo 650, then they will go out of their way to help you out. Sprint is pretty helpful when it comes to rebates and deals. Plus with Sprint you will get to use their $10 or $15 Unlimited Visions data access with your Treo 650. As you know Verizon and Cingular both charge $45 for that. Plus not to be biased, Sprint because of the spacing of their towers, tends to get faster data speeds. If you do a search on Google for reviews of their network data speeds, you will find the reviews listing Sprint's as being faster. Not way faster, but still faster.
    And I do not want to get into any arguments over this. Like I have said before, EV-DO, 1X, EDGE, ect speeds lower with distance. And because Sprint uses 1900Mhz and needs more towers to cover a given area, you have more towers for your phone to choose from, and higher speeds because of this.

People down here in Fort Lauderdale Florida, including myself, are reporting getting EV-DO signals, even though the nearest EV-DO upgraded tower is in Miami. And I on average get 90kbs to 100kbs while using my Treo 650 on Sprint's 1X network.

From what I have heard from my friends in Murfreesboro Tennessee , it is basically the same up there.

I really can't wait to move up there, because I am sick of these hurricanes
    Sprint Treo 650: Fair& Flexible National 800Min Family plan with the America roaming option included. $10 Unlimited PDA/Visions access, $4 Equipment replacement, 10% Loyalty discount and free PCS-PCS.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add. If you want to talk with a Sprint Rep on getting a great deal on the Treo, call 1-800-480-4727. That is their Telesales Dept. You can also check on www.Sprintusers.com for a complete list of phone numbers. They are listed under the FAQ.
    Sprint Treo 650: Fair& Flexible National 800Min Family plan with the America roaming option included. $10 Unlimited PDA/Visions access, $4 Equipment replacement, 10% Loyalty discount and free PCS-PCS.

Phonefunatic
    I got a really good deal from this guy. I talked to him on Sunday and received the phone on Tuesday. http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-NEW-TREO-6...QQcmdZViewItem

Hey 'Forest', I found the eBay deal you were talking about and it does sound very good. Was wondering if there were any nasty surprises, or if you're still feeling like it worked out great for you. Would certainly love to pay less...

Phonefunatic
    I was VERY satisfied with the deal I got. I paid about $85.00 for the phone with a new line. The phone was shipped overnight and I was a little leary at first because I did not get a receipt with the phone. I got my bill from Sprint at the end of my billing cycle and it was fine. I emailed him and he was very quick to respond with the breakdown of rebates etc and a final price.

Thanks a lot, Forest, for your reply! That helps, and the seller's feedback was good too. Can I ask you a follow-up...?

You said you paid about $85 with a new line; the seller mentioned about $170 or so, wow! $85 seems almost too good to be true, but I want to believe. You mentioned rebates... did you have to wait a while for them? Was there a certain plan you had to sign up for or were the standard ones all open to you?

(I'm thinking about initiating a very simple plan and then adding a second phone for my wife and eventually using Sprints $69.99 fair and free families plan sharing 800 minutes).

Phonefunatic
    No problem tjpda. Here's what I see so far:

150.00 instant rebate
    150.00 instant rebate
    50.00 rebate
    100.00 equiupment credit
    72.00 first month's service credit

I can see this much online when I view my invoice. I have not gotten the bill in the mail yet. It appears to be fine though because the total due is only 145.00 and I already had a family share plan (the same one you talk about in your post, same price) 2 lines with unlimited text msg on both lines, vision on one, power vision on the other, voice command on one line and equipment protection on both phones. I will know more specifically what's going on when I receive the bill in the mail. He picked my plan for me ($79.99 free incoming calls). I didn't care because I knew I was gonna add this line to my existing family share plan.

Again, thanks a lot for the info. Appreciate it. It's great to have this forum as a resource. So tricky to figure out what's what, even if you're relatively tech-savvy.

Phonefunatic
    You're welcome. I agree with you. I learn so much from this forum and I'm addicted to it. Can't wait to read it first thing in the morning (sometimes run late for work because of it), during the day at work (when time permits), and every evening. I was happy to find out that I am not the only one with an addiction for this stuff out there. Before I discovered this forum I was wondering if I should seek counseling...

I've been a long time Verizon user with my 7135 and am also looking at the 650. I agree that the sprint deals are much better, but in the past, I've felt that the Verizon phone coverage was superior. Any comments on coverage - Sprint vs. Verizon? I'm in L.A.
    Thanks.

by the way as for worried about being under K in case you move: double check my facts on this, but it used to be that if you moved outside of a SPCS coverage area you could terminate your contract without any termination fee.
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/communi...x15/blue_1.gif
    Get FireFox!

phones: Sam 8500, Sam a460, Sam i500, Treo 650
    Plan: $39.99= 750AT/3000NW@8/UnlPcs2Pcs/FIMF + $10 Vision + $5 SMS

Originally posted by russmd
    I've been a long time Verizon user with my 7135 and am also looking at the 650. I agree that the sprint deals are much better, but in the past, I've felt that the Verizon phone coverage was superior. Any comments on coverage - Sprint vs. Verizon? I'm in L.A.
    Thanks.
    Sprint's native network reaches 250 Million POP, Verizon's native network reaches 246 POP. Sprint's roaming network is 295 Million POP with an analog capable phone, and 290 for digital only. Sprint has the largest network in the US, that is with their own coverage and roaming.
    I have found Sprint's service to be the best. People here like to argue over this statement, but it is true for me, and every person I have recommended.

Check out Sprint's web site coverage map and compare the two. But you get to use Verizon's network for free when you roam off of the Sprint network when you have a plan like the Fair & Flexible America. Or if you get one of the Free Incoming plans, I think you have to pay the extra $5 a month for roaming.

My best advice would be to check out Sprint.com and see what they have in your area.

I hope this helps,
    Russell

I forgot to add. If you goto www.sprintusers.com they will help you out with any questions you have.
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 11-30-2005 at 02:48 AM.