+ Reply to Thread
    Converging again, and again . . .

Sprint vs Verizon

My contract with Verizon is up. When I called the Sprint 800 number, they told me that they would definitely activate my Treo 650 on their network. Strangely, they would not answer any questions about their offerings until they ran a credit check on me. I guess their "customer service" reps are simply commissioned tele-sales agents who do not care about anything other than their immediate commision.

I'm not sure what questions I should be asking. I want to make sure that I am doing a fair comparison between the two companies.

Are the included applications (Documents to Go, Versamail, etc. )the same on both networks. (I guess I'm assuming that Sprint would reflash my phone).

Are there features available on the Sprint phone that are disabled on Verizon's. (DUN, stereo bluetooth, voicedialing via bluetooth, etc).

Do the Sprint "Fair and Flexible" plans include long distance and roaming like Verizon's "American Choice" plans. (There are no long distance fees, nor are there any roaming fees on Verizon's plans - at least within the US.)

What else should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance!
    Jim
    Jim
    (7135 to Treo 650 conversion)

if you use data, you should look at what data plans each offers and for what prices.

i moved from VZW to Sprint simply to get unlimited data/text plus 2000 shared minutes for $90/mo

NO, Sprint will NOT activate your Verizon Treo 650, they will only activate Sprint phones that have been sold by them, not any other carrier. Whoever told you they would activate is 100% wrong. The included apps are mostly the same between the two. Stereo bluetooth is not possible on either, Sprint BT DUN is present, not so on the Verizon 650 but that can be "fixed" using a small file from www.shadowmite.com. For the roaming and long distance questions, check out Sprint's website, you will get the most reliable information there.

For the most part, the main difference I see if the price in data plans. Sprint's is $10/$15 month for unlimited vs. Verizon at $45/month but some people will/can only use Verizon because of their allegedly better coverage so the price difference is irrelevant to them.

Converging again, and again . . .
    Does Sprint offer "push" email as part of their unlimited data plan?

Thanks!
    Jim
    (7135 to Treo 650 conversion)

For push email, they offer Sprint Businss Connection for $15/month that also includes unlimited data. Alternatively, you can use a different 3rd party app like Chattermail for push email.