+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anti-virus

Fully Undaunted

Anti-virus

Since the 650 is more or less a computer like every other "smart phone" anybody out there running any anti-virus programs, if so what and how well does it work?
    Oh... what a tangled web we weave!!

McAfee has a virus checker included on some versions of their anti-virus applications. I had it installed but uninstalled it since real estate on the Treo 650 is a major issue. From what I have read to date, Simbian seems to be the only smartphone OS having problems with viruses.

If and when there appears to be a viable threat to the Palm OS, rest assured that I will not hesitate to reinstall the anti-virus application.

Stalker768

So are you saying that we do not have to worry about virus protection for the treo 650? How can this be? Don't we need to be concerned about email coming through? I recognize some email that comes to me synched from my pop mail that is suspicious as worm generated. What about those as well?

Viruses are written to target operating systems. Today, 99% of viruses target windows. So if you're getting email on a Mac, Linux, or even your TREO, there is no concern. Basically, until there are confirmed cases of viruses and/or worms targeting the TREO PALM OS, there is nothing to worry about.

OK. I don't want to sound dense, but I must ask again this way. If I am getting my work email from my exchange server, and home email from my pop3 account, and its the same email, arriving at the same time, if it were a virus laden email my pc virus protection would kick in on the pc. What happens with the treo? Are you saying that the virus laden email doesn't come through?

Sorry if this seems elemental, but hey, I still l wonder how they get those people into the tv box.

first off, I do not know of any Palm based email clients that can automatically run an attachment.

secondly, Palm OS can not run the typical email attachment program (virus, script, etc) as they are windows type apps.

thirdly, if you get a .prc file anyone your dont know and are not expecting, jsut dont launch it. simple as that.

Today, there is 99.9% probabability that a virus that would do damage to your PC, would have absolutely no effect when recieved on TREO.

Don't worry - for now.

Thanks for the answers and reassurance. This thing is too cool to let get screwed up by not protecting it. I'm glad to not be waiting for disaster to happen.