+ Reply to Thread

treo 650 on its way...

guys, i just got the 650 ordered and it will be replaced for free thru verizon. as many of you know they are replacing ppl who had the kyocera 7135 with a new treo 650 for free.

so, i was searching for steve, a guy on the 7135 post who had written the following post below. I have to say, I almost cried. I was moved, touched.

anyway, I just hope the 650 is all that it's cracked up to be. Somebody tell me if this phone is truly that great or not?!?
    ----------------------------------------

Fully Converged

It is with great sadness that I have to report my ORIGINAL 7135, which I purchased about 2 years and 4 months ago, has passed.

To quote a great man, who also recently passed: "She just donna have the power!"

I made my last call with her last Saturday, to my wife, and the phone hasn't powered on since. The palm side looks like it may work, but the phone is holding it back. After many soft, hard and no-extension resets she always returns to the digitizer screen, but wont register any taps. The LED remains a sold steady RED and the External LCD reads "Powering on.." indefinatly. I even left the battery out for two days and it remains the same.

I believe she gave up on her own, on purpose. Not of my doing but all of her own willing. Last week My wife and I were talking about replacing my 7135 and her non-smart Kyo with the T650's. I made the mistake of speaking too loud about the upgrade and my 7135 overheard... That and she was alwasy upset when I played with Markito's 650. She knew I wouldn't upgrade while she was working so great cause I had always stayed faithful to her. So she made the decison for me and took the dive.

I made the call to Verizon and the kind VZ lady mentioned, "you have had this phone a long time!" I said "yes she's been real good to me!" She had me try a hard reset again to revive her with no luck. Then she said "We're going to have to replace it, but we no longer carry the 7135." Feeling blue about losing my analog service, my QNC connection and my clamshell deisgn I asked "What will it be replaced with?" "a Palm Treo, its also a PDA" She replied. I said "It will have to do.. how long will I be phoneless?" "Only a few days cause you made the daily cuttoff, it should be sent out today" (because I knew you would all want to know.. ) "When is the cutoff time?" "4:00 Central" she said. I thanked her and picked myself off the ground realizing my 7135 will live on.. inside a BRAND SPANKING NEW TREO 650!!!!!!

See you all over at the 650 forums, Thank you all for the great 7135 info. Sorry if I misspelled, in my grief... or is it my excitement now? such mixed emotions. I hope the 650 lives up to what they say.

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar
    love mine. couldn't be happier unless it dispensed beer.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Same story here. 7135 went south. Free 650 as a replacement. I am very happy with it. I miss some of the things from the 7135. Kyo did a great job of integrating the phone with the palm os and gave it full featured phone software which verizon and palm did not do with the treo. After a few weeks of tweaking and a couple of choice software purchases, I love the 650
    Sandy Wagner

Mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but I had to get it through the insurance co. Verizon was interested in any deal at all.

What about software? Specifically, what about BeBopper? I am hooked on Audio Books, and really need something to play the MP3 files while I commute.
    John H. Boyd

I use pocket tunes for mp3's. Love it. Volume Care lets me hear my darn phone calls. TCPMP allows me to watch movies. Pretty everything else I use is the same as the 7135 was. Butler provides some nice features as well. I am trying it out now for stability before I lay down the $$.
    Sandy Wagner

Originally posted by swagner
    I use pocket tunes for mp3's. Love it. Volume Care lets me hear my darn phone calls. TCPMP allows me to watch movies. Pretty everything else I use is the same as the 7135 was. Butler provides some nice features as well. I am trying it out now for stability before I lay down the $$.
    Thanks. I'll give Pocket Tunes a try. I have Volume Care, and PDAnet. What is Butler?
    John H. Boyd

Butler allows control of a whole bunch of features that should have been included.

LED off -
    Ongoing alerts -- missed calls, sms etc
    alarm clock
    more button control.

Tops on lots of users list.
    Sandy Wagner

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

Lightbulb No need for Pocket Tunes

Originally posted by JohnBoyd
    Mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, but I had to get it through the insurance co. Verizon was interested in any deal at all.

What about software? Specifically, what about BeBopper? I am hooked on Audio Books, and really need something to play the MP3 files while I commute.

The Treo650 has a built in RealPlayer that handles MP3's. It is not customizeable with playlists or equilizers but it is free and works great. I have yet to upgrade the player because the 'Random' selection works so well and keeps me from needing yet ANOTHER $30 3rd party program. For books on MP3 you won't need more than RealPlayer.

Enjoy your toy!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

I sincerely hope some of the major pains of playing MP3's on the 7135 are gone:
    1) fast forwarding in a file.
    2) rewinding in a file.
    3) pausing playback and having it start up at the same place, regardless of how long it has been since it was paused.

Hopefully these are all easy, and are made so because the 650 decodes and plays MP3's purely in software, as compared to the 7135 which was a blend of hardware and software with minimal API support.

One feature that some of my standalone MP3 players has that I really like it the optional setting to repeat a small amount of the playback just prior to having paused it. That avoids unintelligible words in an audio book because you paused it, which would require rewinding often just to catch what was missed.

How is the hardware button support on the 650 versus the exception 7135 support? Or do you find you have to take your eyes off of the road to find certain keys on the keyboard? Does it support the call button for pause/play?