+ Reply to Thread

Kyo7135 to Treo 650

Well...I need some input here.
    I got my T650 replacement for my 7135 today and I'm having trouble activating it. I've read all the threads and I've mentioned the different feature codes, but no one at data support or customer service will activate the phone with MOU for data. They said I could activate it with data tuned off...no data, text, sms, etc.

What should I do? Any other tactics I should try? They don't even care if I take my three lines and leave verizon.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll send the T650 back and keep the kyo alive as long as I can.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Abe

Oh yeah, also...

I also thought I could activate it with the PAYG option and see how that goes. But, if I'm unhappy with it, I most likely will not be able to go back to my 7135. Really honks me off.

I guess I'll hang on to the 7135 until it finally goes belly up. At which point I'll have to go back to my LG VX4400 tethered to my M515. I know that set up still uses MOU. VZW only forces you into a data plan if you have a new PDA phone.

Too bad...the prohibitive cost may make me unconverge...or is it deconverge.

I guess there's always Sprint...

I went with the 650 on PAYG. Of course, I dial up to nocharge.com and still use minutes for occasional web access. They do not allow smtp and the connection is a bit slow, but it works in a pinch and that's all I need. There are computers everywhere at work and I don't want my email when I am not there!
    Although I miss a couple of things from my Kyo, Overall I am happy with my free 650. Also... will you have another chance to get a new device like this free?
    Sandy Wagner

Originally posted by swagner
    I went with the 650 on PAYG. Of course, I dial up to nocharge.com and still use minutes for occasional web access. They do not allow smtp
    Does that mean I can't check email using Snappermail?

Originally posted by swagner
    Also... will you have another chance to get a new device like this free?
    Good point...

Originally posted by Abe Frohman
    Does that mean I can't check email using Snappermail?
    Probably not using dial up to no charge. You may be able to dial up to another isp. Some have been successful with dial up accounts associated with their broadband cable or dsl accounts. I cannot connect to my roadrunner dial up account from my phone.

If you can get a dial up that allows smtp, then sure, snapper will work and you will only use MOU as long as it is set to that network connection.
    Sandy Wagner

Unhappy same situation - I need help

I just got my kyo to treo "free upgrade" and then was informed I needed the $45 per month data plan.

Can I use the nocharge.com site to do some simple wap sites? how slow is it? will the Treo browser support it?

Also, the verizon tech says there is no way to permanently turn off the Treo from checking email and charging you. Is he right?

Geek
    Well, I got my 650 as a replacement for my 7135 on Tues. They were sure to mention numerous times that I would need to get a data plan when I called to activate the phone. Well, I was able to activate it myself on-line!

I've used a few minutes of Internet access on my 650. I usually only use it sparingly on my free nights and weekends anyway. I'll see if my bill changes at all.

I'm also not sure if they want my 7135 back. There was a FedEx return lable enclosed, but neither of the reps I spoke to mentioned anything about returning my 7135. So I'll wait to see if I hear from them.

well guys,

read my post from earlier. you gotta keep up baby!

guys,

just spoke to verizon and they are now offering great plans for those data users out there. i think they are called max plans or something but they are offering great bundled options for ppl.

they have some plan for 79.99 that offers 1350 minuts, free night weekends, free in network, that includes unlimited data.

this is great for those kyocera 7135 users that didnt want to switch to a 650 (even for free!) due to separate phone and date plans options recently.

well it seems to have changed. call these numbers for more info:

800-922-0204
    'ask about 'max plans' , i believe it was called.
    866-788-9387 is the data services number.

My 7135 story - related to this

When I got my 7135 I reduced my family plan minutes and signed up for the all-you-can-eat data plan. Most of my phone minutes were online and not voice, so it made sense. I use the phone with the "browser" WAP applet for reading e-mail via our WAP server and looking at sports on ESPN, etc. I also use Palm Web Pro for some other pages (weather, RADAR pictures, traffic cams).

Several months ago I got my wife a new phone (Kyocera KX2, if it matters) and I further reduced the family minutes - a new plan, cheaper rates. A month or so later we went over the minutes - turns out that Vzw was applying the kbytes I used online AND also charging me for the minutes as well - and as best I could tell they have ALWAYS been doing this. So I guess I have been overpaying since I was on the unlimited data AND had too many voice minutes. The data support folks said they could not fix it. So I decided to up my family plan minutes and drop the data plan. Well, then they kept charging me for kb used STILL and I had to call each month to have the charges removed. Note that I also had to go on the $5 wireless web plan at this time to get data=minute used. Eventually they got the kbs from showing up and I am now just using minutes for data.

Fast forward a few months and my 2 yr old 7135 is getting flakey. My boss' just quit working and he got a new treo 650 for free. I plan on borrowing his and seeing if I can live with it in place of my 7135.

But - it sounds like I will be screwed again if I do since I will have to go back on a data plan OR be charged pay as I go for the online minutes?

As I test, I went to the Vzw web page and started an order for a 2 line family plan - when I pick the 650 you can't get off the page until you pick a data plan (or pay as you go) and wireless web is not offered. For the 2nd phone I chose the KX2 and it does offer the $5 a month wireless web plan.

So it sounds like Vzw has me over a barrel - if I get a replacement 7135 (my first choice) they will not let me activate it or replace the one I have. If I get the free 650 I will have to change plans (drop the minutes) and go back on a $25-45 data plan?

This hurls major chunkage.......

Dennis

Kyo to Treo, Con-vergin' MUGlover's Avatar
    I'm just using data a lot less until I see the impact on billing.

My plan is $79.99 a month and until I left the 7135 in July allowed for minutes of use to pay for the data calls. The one mentioned above is something to which I could change once I am sure I want to stay with Verizon.

Their web page contains a statement as of Oct. 2 requiring PDA users to have a data plan in no uncertain terms. I don't plan to change my billing for now.
    Why can't you be a nonconformist like everybody else?

I was able to keep MOU after switching from the 7135 to the treo 650....but I have to say I really prefer the 7135! Very sorry I made the switch!

Beth

guys, just call verizon ,they got some great deals with unlimited data now. you have to call them. not on the website:

800-922-0204
    ask about special unlimited data plans.
    $79.99 for 1350 minutes anytime, with unlimited data.
    they have two others as well.

Originally posted by hirschnet
    guys, just call verizon ,they got some great deals with unlimited data now. you have to call them. not on the website:

800-922-0204
    ask about special unlimited data plans.
    $79.99 for 1350 minutes anytime, with unlimited data.
    they have two others as well.

I think you can quit touting this now. Anyone who is interested in this has now heard (or read) from you on this subject.

A lot of flaws in this - first off a lot of folks (like me) need a family share plan, not an individual plan.

Second thing (and applies to everyone that gets the free Treo to replace a 7135) is that changing to this plan would require a new contract. Since folks are saying they get the Treo free and with no new commitment, it would seem really dumb to change plans and add a commitment to your account. If (big if) we can get the phone for free and not change anything on our accounts and no new commitment would be the ideal thing.

Dennis