+ Reply to Thread

Bluetooth DUN Help Please

Hello,
    I am very new to this bluetooth DUN Thing. I have searched and searched and can't find the answer. I have treo 650 1.12 updated. (Previously Had Hitachi G1000). I have my Treo Through Sprint PCS and unlimited vision. My laptop has bluetooth and is able to recognize my phone but can't connect. Says connection Failed when I try to connect.
    I would like to know what excactly Steps I need to able to use the DUN on my treo and what settings.
    If possible, would help me is a step by step process if anyone has the time.
    It would truly be helpful.

Sincerely,
    G'Net

drr
    Please search this forum. A few pages back is a set of references to step-by-step for connecting to the internet with the phone from your laptop via bluetooth. However, I have heard recently that one of the links no longer exists on the reference. Good luck.

I did a search through google on this just recently and found a website, i don't think it was this board, that explained the problem is Win XP sp2 conflicts with most blue tooth adapters and there is a fix on the windows support section. i tried that and it worked like a charm

you need to have the driver on the bluetooth installed/reinstalled

before that i had sporadic bluetooth functioning

are you able to bluetooth hotsync with no problem
    Last edited by tabutler; 10-04-2005 at 03:44 PM.

Have not tried to Bluetooth sync but able to transfer pics files (if that is the same thing I'm not sure). I will try to google for the fix. This is a new laptop and have not installed the palm software on this to sync other files.

I just purchased this laptop (dell Inspiron 9300) with the bluetooth already installed just for my treo. Thank You Very Much For Your Reply.

G'Net

Hello,
    Thank You Again drr and tabutler. I think I might of found something. I swear I try to search and read before I post but I guess I did not search hard enough this time. http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive...legal_dun.html
    I'll try it and see how it goes.
    Thank You Guys,
    G'net

the trouble shooting section of that page is the link I ended up on.

good luck

if you have unlimited vision then you are much better off using PDAnet to use your Vision connection when possible rather than an actual DUN connection. This is becuase Sprint will notice the data call and that is charged separate at $0.35 or so per minute. Found out the hard way last month.

PDAnet will let you use your Vision connection so it wont cost you anything other than the one time PDAnet purchase.

Originally posted by ohvhost
    if you have unlimited vision then you are much better off using PDAnet to use your Vision connection when possible rather than an actual DUN connection. This is becuase Sprint will notice the data call and that is charged separate at $0.35 or so per minute. Found out the hard way last month.

PDAnet will let you use your Vision connection so it wont cost you anything other than the one time PDAnet purchase.
    You don't need PDANet to do a DUN connecion. Simply pair the phone and computer over Bluetooth, create the Dial-Up connection on the computer and tell it to use the BT modem and #777 as the number to dial out and that's it. Of course, PDANet makes this process easier and let's you use USB (which tends to give faster speeds than the BT DUN connection) but you don't necessarily need PDANet to do DUN and not get charged by Sprint. Whatever you do, always have the software dial #777 and you won't be charged anything extra (as long as you don't abuse it), doesn't matter if you use PDANet or BT DUN or whatever, #777 is the key to not getting charged.

i didnt realize that #777 worked with sprint. i tried that number and was never able to connect. i could only connect through a regular isp type number.

i guess i'll have to try it again.