+ Reply to Thread

Samsung i500 vs Treo 650

I would like to know if someone had gone through this dielma, and which one did you pick and why?

Just a couple of pieces of information for you to consider:

1) As for comparing the i500 vs the T650 - memory capacity and processing power highlight a very strong difference between these two. The i500 has no SD memory card slot, and its processor is not in the same league as the T650's.

Of course the T650's screen is far better in resolution and brightness (it's a newer design, and the small LCD screen market keeps getting better and better).

Other issues are "clamshell' vs "candybar" format, and analog cell tower support in the older i500 for reception out on the fringes of cell support but not supported in the T650.

2) Samsung left the Palm based smartphone market a couple of months ago.

Rumor has it Sprint kept delaying their latest i550 that had been through FCC already. Sprint finally declined when they realized the Treo 650 was taking off.

It's a real shame - the i550 advanced info looked very enticing.

But it reminds me of Kyocera leaving the Palm powered market too...

Mind you, both companies still make phones, and Samsung still makes smartphones, just not with Palm OS.

IMO:

It takes too long for developers to force the current Palm OS's into serving the needs of a smartphone, so vendors have turned in other directions that offered better return on their investment.

Palm(one) has done it, but it was their corporate LIFE BLOOD on the line since their PDA market has tanked! Perhaps to their credit, they may (or may not) have retained more than a handful of PalmOS folks when they split the company, so extensive mods to the OS may have been more feasible than for other companies (of course feasibiltiy depends on how stable and reliable you think your T650 is for your needs). And even with all of that, the end result was more of a PDA with added phone features than a phone blended with a PDA.

2 months ago, I made the switch from I500 to Treo650. While I'm very pleased with the performance of the 650, every time my wife whips my old I500 out of her pocket, I yearn for the good ol' days. The 650 just seems like I've got a 3 ring binder hanging off my belt. The 650 is MUCH faster, more stable and the screen is awesome. The issues become your needs and the form factor. In my opinion, the I500 was a phone first, with decent-to-good calendar and occasional web usage and email. The 650's phone mechanics are awkward (even with my beloved TakePhone..sometimes it goes off into 'never never land' and I'm staring at a blank screen and hearing ringing or I realize Im connected to my office for the last 2 minutes and they're listening to me plan who to fire first....) But the PDA functions are much easier to enter, manipulate, view, etc.... I'd say its a PDA first, phone second.
    I500 to Treo650

Thanks for the info.

dawinkley, can you please elaborate on what you can do with i500 so easy that it is very difficult with 650?

Brian
    Originally posted by rob_z11
    Thanks for the info.

dawinkley, can you please elaborate on what you can do with i500 so easy that it is very difficult with 650?
    Dial
    -B

Actually, BriOnH is exactly right.... the I500 "is almost just like a phone." I guess I mean a "regular phone". The built in search function is weak, and I highly recommend TakePhone for it, but otherwise it's really straightforward as a phone. It also will work on analog signal when digital is not available, while the Treo 650 becomes a beautiful flashlight as far as phone use outside of digital coverage area. Compared to 650, I500 is VERY basic...so, if your needs are a good phone with your calendar there for reference, go with it. If you need digital camera, quick/fast web and email access, maybe good VPN access to your desktop, etc., go with 650
    I500 to Treo650

650 I will be getting is without the camera, so that leaves me with slightly bigger screen, powerful CPU, and no calmshell.

Clarrification here... its not just a 'slightly bigger screen'... its a totally awesome improvement, probably the best screen in its class. No doubt about it. The only drawbacks to the 650, for someone that did not carry a palm pilot or equivalent in the past, is (a) the size. Drawback (b) as far as phone goes, if you are out of digital coverage, the phone can not use an analog signal. Those are the only limitations to the 650 when comparing it to the I500. I'm not familiar with a 650 without the camera, but believe I've read about them as 'first generation' models. If that's the case, make sure you can update the firmware as there's a memory drain problem on them, as well as a few other necessary changes/improvements that the new firmware entails. Oh, the i500 is no longer supported by Sprint and I understand replacements and options/accessories are starting to disappear. You can't go wrong with either, but I wouldn't spend more than $150 on the I500 with the understanding that if/when it dies, (and you have insurance on it) you're getting some Treo version as a replacement.
    I500 to Treo650

when looking at the I500 you should first look at they kyocera 7135, far better thatn the I500, but it too has a host of problems!

Treo 650 is hands down the best Smart-Device and phone out there! The phone is addictive. I could say all kinds of good things about the Treo, but it would take way too long. But you should at least try the Treo 650.
    Sprint Treo 650: Fair& Flexible National 800Min Family plan with the America roaming option included. $10 Unlimited PDA/Visions access, $4 Equipment replacement, 10% Loyalty discount and free PCS-PCS.