+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Auto off with no signal?

I had a program for my Kyo7135 called "Energy Saver" that would turn the phone off automatically when the signal was lost in order to save the battery. Is there something like that for the Treo 650?

When they pry it from my cold hand. tivolutionist's Avatar

TreoHelper

I just ran across this useful little proggy:

TreoHelper

It is chock full of functionality for Treos:
    • Automatically turn on the phone after a reset
    • Scheduled on/off times for the phone
    • Automatically turn phone off when out of coverage
    • Automatic network disconnection
    • Perform functions based on SMS message receipt (including locking the phone)

There are extra features for older treo models as well.

Best feature: IT'S FREE!

I tried TreoHelper

I tried TreoHelper, but it didn't power off the phone when I was in a location where the phone said "No Signal". Am I doing somethng wrong? the olny setting I used was to power the phone off if no signal for one minute.

Any ideas?

I know I used a program for this that I downloaded at www.mytreo.net
    I do not remember the name though.
    Try looking there, they have all kinds of Palm OS programs.
    Sprint Treo 650: Fair& Flexible National 800Min Family plan with the America roaming option included. $10 Unlimited PDA/Visions access, $4 Equipment replacement, 10% Loyalty discount and free PCS-PCS.

Radio Control works to turn phone on/off and after resets. Not sure if it will self adjust based on signal. This program if free.

Nope...Radio Control doesn't do it either. After extensive searching, I haven't found one that does. I have an e-mail in to the author of TreoHelper...no reply yet.

Re: I tried TreoHelper

Originally posted by Abe Frohman
    I tried TreoHelper, but it didn't power off the phone when I was in a location where the phone said "No Signal". Am I doing somethng wrong? the olny setting I used was to power the phone off if no signal for one minute.

Any ideas?
    That is a good thing. You wouldn't want your phone turning on and off everytime it lost a signal when there is a second of interference, or when you are driving through a tunnel for a few seconds or anything else that would casue a momentary loss of signal

Re: Re: I tried TreoHelper

Originally posted by ohvhost
    That is a good thing. You wouldn't want your phone turning on and off everytime it lost a signal when there is a second of interference, or when you are driving through a tunnel for a few seconds or anything else that would casue a momentary loss of signal
    There are settings to turn off if no signal for 1 min, 2 min, etc. It really helped to save battery life if I forgot to turn off my Kyo7135...that was using Energy Saver...written specifically for the 7135.

I'm bumping this thread to see if anything new has come along. I haven't seen anything since my original post.

If I'm not mistaken, this is built into the 650 software. Have you noticed a marked reduction in your battery searching for signals?

I don't think its built in...at least not on the VZW Treo 650. I think significantly more battery is used when the phone is searchin for a signal...noticably so.

I just got my VW 650 about a month ago. I have noticed the phone side being off after being in areas without service. I do have Butler installed, but I don't see anything about power settings in that program. I haven't installed any other programs that might turn off the power and I haven't adjsuted any of the factory settings in relation to power either. So it seems maybe it is built in to shut off the phone side if not getting a signal for an extended period of time.

JohnA

That's really interesting. I'm using a VZW Treo 650 with software version 1.04. My Treo definitely does NOT turn off in no coverage areas.

I just got my 650 replaced and when I initially installed TreoHelper, it did not turn the phone off. I enabled 'turn phone on after reset' and made sure the phone acquired a signal and everything seems to be working hunky-dory now.

Quote Originally Posted by tivolutionist
    I just got my 650 replaced and when I initially installed TreoHelper, it did not turn the phone off. I enabled 'turn phone on after reset' and made sure the phone acquired a signal and everything seems to be working hunky-dory now.
    That sounds promising. Just so I understand:
    In TreoHelper, if you check 'Enable phone on reset' then the 'Phone off if no coverage in x min.' works properly?

Is your Treo 650 on Verizon?

Thanks!

Yes, that is the way it worked for me. I normally have the timeout set for 30min, but for testing to make sure it worked, I used 5min, I believe, then reset to 30min.

Power cycling when there is no signal is a very desirable feature for mobile phones.

Abe mentioned the no-nag shareware app Energy Save by David Walthall that for the Kyo 7135. You set the time you will allow it to actively search for a signal beforing triggering its cyclic function. It was a very nicely thought out program.
    It would allow you to set:
    - an initial time it would allowing unsucessful searching, before cycling
    - a power down interval
    - an interval for searching before powering down again

It had some other functions thrown in - bypassing this cycling logic when using a charger; turning off backlight X sec into a call; and allow you to automatically turn off beaming at reset and sync.

Very handy app - ESPECIALLY on the analog capable 7135, since analog searching is extremely power hungry! I sought it out and used it extensively when travelling through extremely rural or mountainous areas - it would save the battery, but remember to reconnect you when service was restored.

The best thing about it - you don't have to remember to do anything to it once you set it up.

So - I think I hear that the 650 has the ability to shut itself down after searching for a settable period, but:
    - Will it cyclically power up and check for service?
    - Will it bypass the power down if it is being charged?

Quote Originally Posted by Abe Frohman
    That sounds promising. Just so I understand:
    In TreoHelper, if you check 'Enable phone on reset' then the 'Phone off if no coverage in x min.' works properly?

Is your Treo 650 on Verizon?

Thanks!
    This setup worked for me too! Thanks!

Abe (love the handle...I live in Chicago), I forgot to mention, that yes I'm on Verizon. Also, I've found a bit of a down side to the 'auto on at reset' feature. I use TCPMP to watch movies on my 650 when I'm on a plane, and sometimes exiting the player causes a reset on my phone. If I forgot to turn off the auto-on, I have to snatch the battery out quickly (thank the gods for NVFS!) and sit there with a paperweight for the rest of the flight. Since TreoHelper won't launch without the phone being on (huh? why?), if I don't turn it off before takeoff, I'm kinda stuck. Luckily this usually only plays out when we're on approach, so I would have had to turn it off anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much if you phone comes on for a minute in flight. I'd just let it come on then turn it off the usual way. I like TreoOn/Off...you can turn it off with a quick button press instead of a press and hold.
    Remember,'...the meek get pinched and the bold survive...'