+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stolen 650

stolen 650

someone just swiped my 650 out of the tampa airport. besides calling and getting the service cancelled, can vzw stop the phone from being used again? any tips?

They can keep the ESN from being registered on the VZW .

right. can they use the e911 to find it?

on a side not, vzw's *excellent* customer service is currently refusing to deactivate the phone. it's the primary phone on the line and to deactive it would mess up the billing. so they won't cut it 'till tomorrow. they will do me the favor of perhaps not charging me for any calls placed after I call them, but $1,000 says I'm on the phone this month to dispute a bill for calls to bangalore.

anyone know how to e911 the phone?

There are a few programs out there that can read and received SMS messages, and then either lock or erase the phone.

mLock does this, but costs a few dollars. TreoHelper can do this for free, but it will only use the native "lock" application. That's good enough for me.

So if I ever lose my Treo, I'll page myself with the magic word, and then the "owner" screen appears, with everything locked.

Perfect? No. Cheap? Sure. Good enough for me...

-Warr

can you explain what this program is and how to get it? i'm confused as to what exactly you are talking about above.

thx!

There are applications that run on your Treo that will allow you to lock (or wipeout) you Treo via an SMS message. So if it's missing, and you have private info on your Treo that you don't want someone to see you can lock or erase the data remotely.

mSafe

Keeping my Treo Safe

TreoHelper

Just downloaded mSafe. It's very cool!! Seems to work pretty well. I suspect the only problem would be that if the phone is off, my apps and data are still vulnerable.

Hmmm. If the phone is off, then stolen. I would imagine someone might try to turn it on to make some "free" calls? As soon as they do, and if you've sent a "wipe" command, then they get a surprise.

Yes. I would agree. The finder would probablyturn on the phone and try to make a call. Then kaboom!

In my case, he'd probably toss my phone out the window, as I use Butler, and it will keep beeping until the SMS is cleared.

Geek
    Is there any program that would initiate a 911 call and play a recorded message saying something like, "Hi, I'm a stolen phone. Can you please activate 911 tracking and find me? Don't hesitate to use the batons on the theif. The camcorder funtion is not on right now." hahaha

Have you tried calling your number and telling him what a son-of-a-b!tch he is? This just burns me up that it happened.

I just had a digital camera stolen after 2 weeks motorcycling in Greece. It was stolen on the LAST day. Take the darn camera, but leave the memory card! Arrrggh!
    Release the Hounds!

Jae

what about the data on the SD card?

Does anyone know if the wipe feature does anything to the SD card? I back up everything there and my email backs up there too. Any solution for this?
    J