+ Reply to Thread

Downside of 1 or 2 GB SD card

I am thinking of going full blast on MP3s and photos etc.

I have seen large capacity SD cards in excess of a GB. Notwithstanding the price on these babies, is there any downside, loss of function, slow speed or other things that piss off technogeeks that I should be aware of?

well my 1gb card is slow compared to my ultra 512mb. jsut make sure the read/write speeds are high enough

The only downside for me using a 1gb card is that it is not 4gb!
    Sandy Wagner

Originally posted by swagner
    The only downside for me using a 1gb card is that it is not 4gb!
    I couldn’t have said it better myself, I have a 2GB Card and wish that the Treo 650 could support larger than 2GB, but the FAT 16 file system wont allow more (I bet when the Windows version comes out, it will use FAT 32 and we will need to upgrade again for more capacity)

Originally posted by imz14u2nv
    I couldn’t have said it better myself, I have a 2GB Card and wish that the Treo 650 could support larger than 2GB, but the FAT 16 file system wont allow more (I bet when the Windows version comes out, it will use FAT 32 and we will need to upgrade again for more capacity)
    What windows version? DId I miss something? Is the 650 going windows instead of palm?

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    He's talking about the new Treo 700w.
    Michael

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar
    I am still using only a 1GB. I rotate about 7 cd's of music every month or so. Plus I keep one full length movie on there also. I swap those out after I watch it. I'll grab a 2GB when I see a deal that makes sense and store double the music and 2 or 3 movies. I can't imagine I500 users who never had an SD slot. What a waste with limited storage. That's like a laptop with no screen.
    Bottomline is, I wish it was 20GB+ like so many other pieces of tech out there. Will any harddrive or flash memory EVER be enough?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Originally posted by mikeyis009
    I am still using only a 1GB. I rotate about 7 cd's of music every month or so. Plus I keep one full length movie on there also. I swap those out after I watch it. I'll grab a 2GB when I see a deal that makes sense and store double the music and 2 or 3 movies. I can't imagine I500 users who never had an SD slot. What a waste with limited storage. That's like a laptop with no screen.
    Bottomline is, I wish it was 20GB+ like so many other pieces of tech out there. Will any harddrive or flash memory EVER be enough?
    I have four SD Cards as follows:

2 x 256MB
    1 x 1GB
    1 x 2GB

I really hate card swapping; I just like to have all of the media available all the time.

One of the problems that the card swap thing brought was that I use SilverScreen and a lot of my programs are stored on card, when you swap cards, the programs are not available and don’t show up (this includes my Pocket Tunes Skins), of course I got around this by copying the programs to all of the cards that I own, but I shouldn’t have to.

I use the Treo 650 as my primary portable music source (Sounds really amazing with my Shure E5C In Ear Monitors) and just hate having to make hard decisions about which music to keep and what to delete (especially when I like all of it).

I currently have 369 songs on my card and honestly wish that Palm would have been smarter about the file system that was chosen, I don’t think this is a matter of always wanting more (it should be able to accommodate larger cards period, the memory doesn’t have to be built it, but the unit should be able to address it), I think its more a matter of what’s reasonable given current technology (FAT16 was obsolete many years ago and FAT32 isn’t new) and how electronic devices are really used by consumers (An Ipod has at least 10GB and my Camera can take more then 6GB Compact Flash Card, so there is no excuse).

We have to face the facts; Palm was still thinking small and made a bad decision because of it. If you look at the very limited amount of Memory on the Treo 650 (23MB I believe) it’s pretty pathetic once you start to install third party applications (and it really doesn’t matter if you store some of them on card). I am sure that the limitation is built in to the Palm operating system (more small thinking).

I hate to say it (not because I hate Microsoft, because that isn’t the case), but I think that the Windows version is going to be better and that the Palm Operating System is on it’s way out. Microsoft will address the FAT16 issue (I think they own FAT), they will address One Handed Operation (Microsoft will always revise a product until everyone is hooked), and we all know that Pocket PC Device Synchronize pretty good with Windows XP Desktops.