+ Reply to Thread

have unlimited data, can i use phone as modem for laptotp?

When I travel with my laptop, it is more convenient to get my email and surf the internet with a real computer than the tiny keyboard and screen on the treo.

I have read the forums where people are trying to connect without having unlimited data plan, using minutes etc.

I have unlimited data, what I want to do is just use the phone to connect to the internet as a DUN device via the laptop and get my data on the laptop.

Can't find a way to do this. Anybody help? It seems pdanet should be able to handle this.

PDANet does precisely what you want. it works great. Technically doing so is not permitted by your contract, however, in reality unless you really abuse it, you'll be fine.

Originally posted by pdaone
    PDANet does precisely what you want. it works great. Technically doing so is not permitted by your contract, however, in reality unless you really abuse it, you'll be fine.
    What is the contract problem, since we both have the unlimited data option?

John
    John H. Boyd

Read your contract. Both VZW and Sprint explicitly stipulate it is unlimited data to your PDA/Phone and does NOT include unlimited data when the phone is tethered to a computer.

But like I said .. unless you really abuse it, no problem. On the other hand if you hook you phone up to your desktop at home and use it as your primary internet connection, you're likely to get a nasty letter and bill.

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar
    Verizon doesn't want us to tether the treo to the data connection. just greed as usual. They want u to buy a PC card for data for a laptop. USe PDAnet. It's great.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Thanks for the help. Mikey, am from Boston, so Go Angels!

Ok here is my 2 Cents. Just how could they tell that you hook to your laptop ? If you use web browers on your 650 and watch has it load some of the pages it is still using a lot of data. So as far I can see it would be the same.

PDAnet ROCKS

This is without a doubt the coolest ap I've ever (not) screwed around with on a SmartPhone. With my 7135, it was always a nightmare to get it (or each replacement) and my machine (and each new machine) configured. Hours of work. This software is way cool. Install, click. Works. The way life should be.

I've had fantasic luck using a cheap Bluetooth USB dongle and ShadowMite's Bluetooth DUN patch to get online with my notebook.

Though I had to pay for the dongle, at least I can also HotSync with it.

-Warr

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

Wink They can't tell

Originally posted by appliancemedic
    Ok here is my 2 Cents. Just how could they tell that you hook to your laptop ? If you use web browers on your 650 and watch has it load some of the pages it is still using a lot of data. So as far I can see it would be the same.
    Thus the explosion of PDAnet. It is fantastic. You can use your original USB sync/charge cable that came with your 650 or get a retractable combo.

Cops don't know if you are speeding unless they see you, but it's still illegal to speed. Verizon will never 'SEE' you so go for it.

Enjoy your toy.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Believe what you want but Verizon and Sprint have both sent users cease and decist letters this year for over use. If you don't believe be, go check out Treocentral.com ... there are numerous threads about this topic from people who a p'ed because they got these letters.

Generally speaking you won't get one, but if you use it as your primary internet connection and spend all day streaming music, you will go over what "limits" they monitor for which will trigger an investigation by them.

And I should add, I do use PDANet personally. I just use it when other option aren't available, and I make sure I don't consume hours and hours of streaming data so as not to get flagged.

A "friend" of mine has been tethering his laptop to the treo 650 with PDAnet for 3 months and is racking up over 200-300MB of data per month. So far so good. When I, I mean my friend called Verizon to see how much data he's racking up, the Verion rep told him 245 MB. No issues.
    I still don't see how Verizon can tell if it's usage from phone or in tethered mode.
    Anyone know if there is a difference?

Originally posted by shady
    A "friend" of mine has been tethering his laptop to the treo 650 with PDAnet for 3 months and is racking up over 200-300MB of data per month. So far so good. When I, I mean my friend called Verizon to see how much data he's racking up, the Verion rep told him 245 MB. No issues.
    I still don't see how Verizon can tell if it's usage from phone or in tethered mode.
    Anyone know if there is a difference?
    They can't tell, that's the point! They can only guess and their guess is based on the assumption that it is highly unlikely that you will accumulate, say for example, 1 gb of data usage on a phone unless you are tethering it to a laptop as a wireless modem. This is why as long as you don't abuse this functionality, Verizon/Sprint will never know that you are tethering your phone to your laptop.