+ Reply to Thread

Reliability - kyo 7135 v treo 650 ???

Although I really like the design of the 7135, it's been a hellishly unreliable piece of hardware (>10 replacements in 2 yrs), and if my experience is in any way common, I can understand Verizon dumping the product. Now I'm being forced into the 650 swap. I part with the 7135 reluctantly, with mixed feelings, and in hopes that the treo 650, which IMHO is a less useful design overall, is AT LEAST more reliable. Please, Please, Please, tell me at least more reliable; that might make it a worthwhile trade-off. Does anyone have any comparison experience?
    Last edited by mikewillnot; 10-10-2005 at 12:13 PM.

Three weeks with the T650 after leaving my beloved 7135 and I have mixed feelings so far.

The Treo 650 for me has been very stable and reliable as a PDA...but I also never had problems with my 7135 either, once I had it running good with some trial and error.

I do appreciate the screen and the camera. The software I am using runs very fast so I like the processing speed...

I miss the analog signal in a few remote areas and the Treo has been dropping calls where the 7135 would have hung on...

The Treo works fine but I also miss the clamshell design. Maybe someday they will come out with another Smartphone to follow the 7135 pedigree...

My 7135 came with docking station, belt clip, etc... this didn't...more money...

It's new and runs fine!! Hopefully I will learn to love it as much as the 7135 that treated me so well over the years.

Good luck with yours!!!

Smoothop

well smoothhop, i hope you are on verizon so atleast you would have gotten a free treo 650 when you got rid of the kyocera 7135!

i agree with you...i hope to learn to love it too...right now, i'm just getting to know her.

I still have the 7135 which I could try to put on my wifes line, if I can get them to activate it... It didn't drop calls like the Treo is, Lost two or three more calls today that showed 1-2 bars signal when I looked... My 7135 never would have dropped these calls in these areas.

'Free' would have made me feel so much better about things. 'Not free' is a bit infuriating in this case. My bad for neglecting PDAphonehome...

Never again!

What is money but green paper?

Smoothop

I just switched and have mixed feelings. I now see why the EIS browser used to crash the 7135 : the BLAZER gets mad at you if you don't wait for the full page to download on the 650. As to the speaker phone, there really isn't one on the TREO. Even with the VolumeCare added. It is also a lot harder to learn one-handed operation and I miss the grafiti. I miss the clamshell but I don't seem to have the dropped call issue too bad even though I live rural with one bar or less most of the time. I

Originally posted by chianti
    I just switched and have mixed feelings. I now see why the EIS browser used to crash the 7135 : the BLAZER gets mad at you if you don't wait for the full page to download on the 650. As to the speaker phone, there really isn't one on the TREO. Even with the VolumeCare added. It is also a lot harder to learn one-handed operation and I miss the grafiti. I miss the clamshell but I don't seem to have the dropped call issue too bad even though I live rural with one bar or less most of the time. I
    I've had mine for about 3 weeks as well, and like most everyone, also have mixed feelings. The speed of the processor, the gorgeous screen and the one-handed (mostly) operation are nice.

The speakerphone (with no add-ons) works better than the one on the Kyo ever did - better volume, easier to turn on and off with the big button on the screen, etc. etc.

HOWEVER, Kyo did a much better job than we've all given them credit for with their design and integration. If the execution of the design and battery life had been better, I'd not have switched at this point.

I HATE the fact that the Treo goes to sleep so quickly, and that you have to push TWO buttons in a row to use it again afterwards. The clamshell design is just plain better, IMO.

Oh well. Color me "half-satisfied". :-\

Did the same..................

I migrated from a 7135 to a Treo 650 also.

I've never looked back. There were some features of the 7135 I liked a little better.

They are all available for the Treo 650, although you have to spend some money to duplicate all the features.

The only one I needed was MarkNDial, so you can highlight a number in text and call it.

As for the rest, I thought I would miss the flip to protect the screen. It turns out that with the 5 way jog button, I don't have to take the phone out of the protective case, so the screen is always covered.

The little bitty qwerty keyboard takes a little getting used to also.

The better screen, and the faster processor make running programs a delight. There's no longer any lag in receiving a call while running a program. The 7135 used to lock up sometimes if i got a call while running something else.

What's most important to me ( I have an exwife) is I no longer get that one or two default ring before the category ring kicks in.

But, that's my opinion, I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Schavlan; 10-13-2005 at 10:59 AM.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy