+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-28-2004
    Posts
    37

    treo 650 design thoughts...?

    just got the treo 650 for free after verizon replaced it (used to have the kyocera 7135).

    and i started to analaze the phone itself. not bad, but could be better. but in terms of the hardware, not too great.

    i am shocked at how poorly designed the unit is when it comes to the unit itself. hard to hold, slips, very very fragile (which is why i just ordered that silicon skin case and screen protectors from everythingtreo.com)

    but all in all,it's a poorly designed phone. it's more like a pda, and i find it difficult to hold when on the phone.

    stupid dial pad and stuff is on the screen itself and even if you activate the 'screen options' so when you are on the phone to prevent it from accidentally hanging up on the call, they forget one key thing!
    WHAT IF I WANT TO PUT IT ON SPEAKER PHONE AND LOOK UP SOMETHING IN MY ADDRESS BOOK OR VINDIGO OR WHATHAVEYOU. IF YOU DEACTIVATE THE SCREEN WHEN ON A CALL YOU CAN'T PUT IT ON SPEAKER PHONE !

    WELL DUHHHHHHHHHHHH HANDSPRING PALM PPL. DIDN'T YOU THINK OF THAT????!!!

    ALL THEY NEEDED TO DO WAS PUT A HARD BUTTON ON THE PHONE ITSELF (just like the kyocera 7135) FOR SPEAKER PHONE! BUT THEY FREEKIN PUT IT ON THE SCREEN FOR SOME REASON. MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!!! AHH!

    It's amazing. i used the kyocera 7135 (when using vindigo.com which is the best piece of software i've ever owned btw) to look up restaurants, addresses, numbers when i was on the speaker phone talking to friends. used it quite a bit.
    with the treo 650 i can't do this on speaker phone unless the screen is not on the deactivated feature. it's such a simple thing but the folks at treo clearly are not actual users of the phone --- so they fu-k up with stuff like this...LITTLE THINGS THAT TRULY MAKE A DIFFERENCE...IT'S THE LITTLE THINGS THAT COUNT SOMETIMES FOLKS!!! LOOK AT ANY SOLID RELATIONSHIP. any girl will tell you the same damn thing!!!

    what they should be doing is having test product focus groups with the true users of these smartphones...

    i would love to get involved. does anybody know how to??? i would solve all problems!!

    and i'm sure with the rest of this board, we would create THE PERFECT SMARTPHONE!!!!!

    couldn't they have atleast added some 'gripper' type of technology on the sides so it's not so strange feeling in the palm of your hand. most phones are easy to hold that are candybar designs. this is terrible.

    anybody else have these issues and how do we get into focus groups for their new stuff..

    PALM/HANDSPRING PPL COULD REALLY USE US ALL RIGHT NOW.

    I'M REALLY ANGRY!!! AHHH!
    Last edited by hirschnet; 10-10-2005 at 05:59 PM.

  2. #2
    Registered User timezone's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-02-2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    618
    I have a lot of complaints with the phone which I have voiced but they mostly relate to the OS and sometimes the features of the phone. Such as not having a page up/down button as one of the minor complaints. Your concern is not an issue. When you turn off the screen you still have the availability of the 4 position button to move over to the mic icon to turn the speaker phone on/off. You also can look at your calendar and memos while on the phone by clicking the buttons that are set for those items. Just don't click the red phone icon on the right while on a call. Then the call will be terminated.

    Take a few deep breaths and give it a try. After awhile it is second nature. Enjoy the Treo650.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-20-2001
    Location
    DC/Baltimore
    Posts
    3,407

    Re: treo 650 design thoughts...?

    Originally posted by hirschnet
    just got the treo 650 for free after verizon replaced it (used to have the kyocera 7135).

    and i started to analaze the phone itself. not bad, but could be better. but in terms of the hardware, not too great.

    i am shocked at how poorly designed the unit is when it comes to the unit itself. hard to hold, slips, very very fragile (which is why i just ordered that silicon skin case and screen protectors from everythingtreo.com)

    but all in all,it's a poorly designed phone. it's more like a pda, and i find it difficult to hold when on the phone.

    stupid dial pad and stuff is on the screen itself and even if you activate the 'screen options' so when you are on the phone to prevent it from accidentally hanging up on the call, they forget one key thing!
    WHAT IF I WANT TO PUT IT ON SPEAKER PHONE AND LOOK UP SOMETHING IN MY ADDRESS BOOK OR VINDIGO OR WHATHAVEYOU. IF YOU DEACTIVATE THE SCREEN WHEN ON A CALL YOU CAN'T PUT IT ON SPEAKER PHONE !

    WELL DUHHHHHHHHHHHH HANDSPRING PALM PPL. DIDN'T YOU THINK OF THAT????!!!

    ALL THEY NEEDED TO DO WAS PUT A HARD BUTTON ON THE PHONE ITSELF (just like the kyocera 7135) FOR SPEAKER PHONE! BUT THEY FREEKIN PUT IT ON THE SCREEN FOR SOME REASON. MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!!! AHH!

    It's amazing. i used the kyocera 7135 (when using vindigo.com which is the best piece of software i've ever owned btw) to look up restaurants, addresses, numbers when i was on the speaker phone talking to friends. used it quite a bit.
    with the treo 650 i can't do this on speaker phone unless the screen is not on the deactivated feature. it's such a simple thing but the folks at treo clearly are not actual users of the phone --- so they fu-k up with stuff like this...LITTLE THINGS THAT TRULY MAKE A DIFFERENCE...IT'S THE LITTLE THINGS THAT COUNT SOMETIMES FOLKS!!! LOOK AT ANY SOLID RELATIONSHIP. any girl will tell you the same damn thing!!!

    what they should be doing is having test product focus groups with the true users of these smartphones...

    i would love to get involved. does anybody know how to??? i would solve all problems!!

    and i'm sure with the rest of this board, we would create THE PERFECT SMARTPHONE!!!!!

    couldn't they have atleast added some 'gripper' type of technology on the sides so it's not so strange feeling in the palm of your hand. most phones are easy to hold that are candybar designs. this is terrible.

    anybody else have these issues and how do we get into focus groups for their new stuff..

    PALM/HANDSPRING PPL COULD REALLY USE US ALL RIGHT NOW.

    I'M REALLY ANGRY!!! AHHH!

    Calm down just a bit and take a deep breath. The Treo is the most popular smartphone EVER for good reason. Can't help you with the phone not feeling comfortable in your hand when you make a phone call, that's obviously personal preference but I will say the phone fits very well in my hand, no problems with comfort when making a phone call. I'm not familiar with the screen deactivation feature you are referring to, probably because I never felt the need to change that particular behavior when on the phone. After so many seconds on the phone, the screen will automatically dim and the on-screen buttons will become inactive. If I need to "push" one of the on-screen buttons, say the speakerphone, I simply move/push the d-pad in the up direction, this wakes up the screen and I now can push what I want. In addition, say you want to access the Palm portion when on the phone, I believe you can simply hit the home key but I could be mistaken (don't have my treo with me at the moment). BTW, you do have a hard-key dialpad, its integrated into the keyboard and functions just like one when in the phone app.

    Some of the reasons the Treo is so popular is because for many people, it hits the "sweet spot" in terms of size of not being too big for a phone but still large enough to function as a PDA. Something called "e-grips" may help you with holding the phone. In addition, the marriage between phone and PDA on this device is excellent, IMO by far the best of any smartphone out there in this department and I've owned many of them (I300, 7135, Treo 300/600/650, I730, 6700). I assure you, if the 650 didn't function extremely well as a phone, no way would it be the #1 selling smartphone ever.

    Now, just because the 650 works well for many people doesn't necessarily mean it is the best one for you. 650 brings a lot more to the table than the 7135 but I've run into some 7135 users who just love their phone and will stay with it until the bitter end because of how well it does what they need it to do (when its not being replaced). With that said, I think your dissatisfaction with the 650 is mainly due to your unfamiliarity with the device and once you use it regularly, I think you will come to like it. The speedy processor, best-in-class one-handed navigation, beautiful screen, superior multimedia capabilities, keyboard, excellent phone/pda integration (despite what you may think), this is what makes the 650 the most popular smartphone right now and if you give it a chance and take the time to learn about its features, I think you may end up liking it.

  4. #4
    Registered User shady's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-13-2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    59
    After switching from 7135 to 650 for about a 8 months now, I believe the 7135 is a much better phone(tri mode) with better reception and sound quality. But the 650 (dual band) is a much better at everything else.

    The only thing I hate about the Treo 650 is that I have no service at my house, whereas the Kyocera 7135 had good reception on the 800Mhz analog band. So my phone is useless when ever I'm at home.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-11-2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15

    Interesting

    It's interesting that i am also a 7135 > Treo 650 user on the Verizon Network and I find that after keeping firmware and PRLs up to date the Treo 650 gets much better reception than the 7135. I also find that the audio quality is better with the Treo 650.

    I have 2 Treo 650's. Verizon 650 is my phone I use for personal use. I also have a Cingular branded Treo 650 that is supplied by work. I am very picky about keeping all my devices (laptops, home computers, PDAs and phones) up to date with updates. Seems to be working well so far.

    Try bringing your PRL and Firmware up to date.
    Brendan
    bren_audio@yahoo.com
    Owner: 6035/7135/Treo 650

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-22-2005
    Posts
    19

    Re: Interesting

    Originally posted by brenodo
    It's interesting that i am also a 7135 > Treo 650 user on the Verizon Network and I find that after keeping firmware and PRLs up to date the Treo 650 gets much better reception than the 7135. I also find that the audio quality is better with the Treo 650.
    I likewise went from 7135 > Treo 650 and feel the reception and audio quality is much better than the 7135. I've been attributing the reception improvement to my switch from Verizon to Cingular, but now I wonder.

    I do agree that the 7135 was more rugged and felt more like a phone, but in every other respect I'll take the Treo hands down.

  7. #7
    Registered User shady's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-13-2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    59

    Re: Interesting

    Originally posted by brenodo
    It's interesting that i am also a 7135 > Treo 650 user on the Verizon Network and I find that after keeping firmware and PRLs up to date the Treo 650 gets much better reception than the 7135. I also find that the audio quality is better with the Treo 650.

    I have 2 Treo 650's. Verizon 650 is my phone I use for personal use. I also have a Cingular branded Treo 650 that is supplied by work. I am very picky about keeping all my devices (laptops, home computers, PDAs and phones) up to date with updates. Seems to be working well so far.

    Try bringing your PRL and Firmware up to date.
    No amount of firmware updates is going to add 800mHz analog band to your Treo on Verizon. The 7135 is tri-band while 650 is dual. 7135 has better reception period.
    Now does the firmware update make the 650 better? Don't know, but it won't bring analog band in.
    Now with Cingular, may be a different story. Cingular 650 is Quadband, so you're not giving up anything. But on Verizon, the 650 gives up 800Mhz analog. Only runs on 800 and 1,900 Mhz digital.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-11-2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15

    Re: Re: Interesting

    Originally posted by shady
    No amount of firmware updates is going to add 800mHz analog band to your Treo on Verizon. The 7135 is tri-band while 650 is dual. 7135 has better reception period.
    I don't want to get into a pissing match here, but in my experince my Verizon Treo 650 has much better reception than my Veizon 7135 did, period. I get stronger signal everywhere and far less dropped calls across the travel area as I did with the 7135.
    Brendan
    bren_audio@yahoo.com
    Owner: 6035/7135/Treo 650

  9. #9
    Registered User shady's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-13-2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    59

    Re: Re: Re: Interesting

    Originally posted by brenodo
    I don't want to get into a pissing match here, but in my experince my Verizon Treo 650 has much better reception than my Veizon 7135 did, period. I get stronger signal everywhere and far less dropped calls across the travel area as I did with the 7135.
    Treo 650 dual band digital 800/1900mhz only
    Kyocera 7135 tri-mode digital 800/1900mhz and 800mhz analog. The analog band has the widest coverage.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-11-2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    15

    Re: Re: Re: Re: Interesting

    Originally posted by shady
    Treo 650 dual band digital 800/1900mhz only
    Kyocera 7135 tri-mode digital 800/1900mhz and 800mhz analog. The analog band has the widest coverage.
    Well, be that as it may. My Treo 650 on Verizon out performs my 7135 using the same carrier in the same area with regards to signal reception.

    Facts and figures are one thing and real world experience is another. In my experience the Verizon Treo 650, compared to the Verizon Kyocera 7135 has much better signal strength and holds calls longer in questionable areas of coverage. My findings are based on real-world use in the same coverage area using both phones.
    Brendan
    bren_audio@yahoo.com
    Owner: 6035/7135/Treo 650

  11. #11
    back
    Join Date
    08-28-2003
    Posts
    366
    Sounds like reception depends on where you are. In the East, digital coverage is pretty much 100%. Out West, where I am, it is a lot spottier out in the country. (There is a lot of it out here). I am contemplating switching from the 7135 to the 650 (Verizon). That is one of the things I am afraid of.....
    Palm M515>Kyocera 6035>Kyo 7135>Treo 650>Treo700W>Treo 700P>Palm Centro Verizon

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-12-2003
    Posts
    117
    I am in the east and can say my 7135 had better signal performance for me in my area than my 650 all updated, etc...

    Unfortunately, Verizon will not let you test a 650 without permanantly deactivating your 7135.. You could buy a new 650 on a new activation and use the 15 day trial. It'll cost you an extra half month of service and an activation fee... and it's a different phone number, but if you like it you can then swap it over to your original number and get out of the other contract. Are they still swapping dead 7135's for 650's for free? You might lose that option, not sure about that...

    Overall, I do like the 650 design but would have greatly preferred an updated 7135 for form factor and tri-mode.

    It also stinks that they don't include a belt clip or a docking station with the unit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts