+ Reply to Thread

TomTom GPS bundle came today, 1st impress.

This is a sweet setup for the Treo 650!

First class build and packaging all around.
    Went with this wireless blue tooth bundle from Semsons http://www.semsons.com/tona5usawigl.html
    $229 plus $14 shipping or $20 for 2 day DHL (for the $6 xtra I took the 2 day).

What I liked over all the other GPS units on Semson's site was the i-Trek's size and the 15 hour rechargeable battery life on this I-Trek M3 GPS unit in the bundle. Comes with car charger and AC charger anyway. Also nice case for the GPS and a nice case for the 8 CD's.
    I already had the Proclip dash holder for the 650 but the free vent clip included from Semson's works great too. Well made and adaptable to most vent configurations.

The i-Trek's is very light in weight and to give you an idea of it's size it's the about the same depth as the Treo, height is from the bottom of the Treo's screen to the bottom of the case and width is about 1/2 inch wider than the Treo's keyboard area. Surprisingly quite small overall.

Installation went flawless although the initial hotsync to download the 169 MB Northeast region CD took about 45 min. This can be rectified the next time I need to change maps by a $10 SD card reader (which I already own from my digital camera, but I wanted to see how long it would take). A card reader probably would take a few minutes to download a CD directly to the SD card.

One glitch that a layman might run into is when installing the GPS CD (there is no paper manual or instructions with the GPS unit). One needs to click on "all files" at the bottom of the window when using run-browse to open and view the installation manual on the CD. It's a brief 5 page manual and on one of the pages it gives you the 5 steps to allow the Treo 650 to recognize the Blue tooth GPS device.

Now onto using the TomTom system. I first entered a destination by clicking on the big bright and in color easy to read screen's "navigate to" Icon. I picked a restaurant a few miles from my house and started driving . . .

What you get is the same thing you see in those $2000 built in or
    the $1000 units that sit on top of the dash. The voice comes out LOUD and CLEAR from the Treo's rear speaker (I did install the trial of volumecare last week, so this is probably helping the clarity). The voice comes on a few hundred yards from every turn instructing you that the next turn is coming up, just like the expensive built in units do.

The BEST part though is the view of the maps while you are driving. Best I can describe it is it's like you are flying in an airplane about 50 feet above the road and looking down at the streets as you go by each one on route to your destination. Each street's name is labeled as you go by and the voice gives you ample warning of turns and destination arrival.

Actually, as others have said in other threads that you don't even have to look at the screen anyway because the voice commands take you from point to point.

Others have mentioned that if they had to do it again they would use two units. I disagree with this one too because the whole purpose of buying our smartphones is the phone and PDA integration into one device and now the GPS is also integrated into the Treo along with the MP3's and internet access from anywhere. For the $10 a week I pay for Verizon's for unlimited data access, it's a bargain to me. I don't need wifi as I access from anywhere or use PDAnet if no cell service. but I'm the next device we upgrade to (smartphone tech life about two years) will have wifi built in or accessed by an SD card.

I don't even take my laptop along with me anymore when I go on business or vacations. Don't need it now or the worry of leaving it in my car or hotel room.

In any case, If one needs to look at the screen that close you can use the vent mount and have it 10 inches from your nose. But why? My Proclip mounts it to the bottom right of my radio, about arms length and I can see it fine and hear the commands fine too.

So after all the threads and opinions I've read here and in TreoCentral positive and negative about TomTom and a blue tooth wireless unit . . . in my opinion THIS WILL BE THE BEST $229 you will ever spend to give you a GPS on your Treo.

I liked the wireless versions cause I can use it while walking or biking around a big city like NYC.

When I returned from my initial test drive I downloaded the latest update from TomTom's website. This also installed error free.

Just justify the money spent as to the safety factor of not getting lost ANYWHERE anymore. How much is the safety of you or your Family's life worth. For $229, it's the cheapest insurance you will ever get.

You can thank me later for that last paragraph later . . . just say it verbatim to your spouse, they will say "OK maybe you should go for it".

There are many many other great features to the TomTom software, but I don't want to take the fun out of discovering them yourself.

So for my first impressions . . . This setup is AWESOME and much much more than I expected from reading the reviews.

Last edited by Expidia; 10-13-2005 at 08:59 PM.
    Palm III, V>6035>7135>6035>650>700p>755p (on Vzn), Palm's BT Treo Hdset,

Looks REALLY nice - exactly what I've been looking for, as a matter of fact.

One question: The maps are loaded onto an SD card, right? Does the screen refresh quickly/accurately running that way?

On SD card . . .

Originally posted by zcd2.7t
    Looks REALLY nice - exactly what I've been looking for, as a matter of fact.

One question: The maps are loaded onto an SD card, right? Does the screen refresh quickly/accurately running that way?
    I don't know yet as I didn't want to upset the apple cart. I guess the maps went right to the card. Next time I'll use my card reader to download so the maps must load to the card as the system needs at least a 35MB card.

But in any case the maps redraw super fast. When you make a turn it just rotates and gives you new directions.

I have a Garmin Emap which was great several years ago but now as compared to the 650's color screen it's awful. It's dark green and just about unreadable. Every time you move the cursor it keeps re drawing which is annoying and dangerous while driving.

This 650 setup is nothing like the handheld units of a few years ago. It's fast, bright and very clear. Even has a night mode to view screen in the dark.

Found on my drive home tonight that I was able to use my Treo BT headset and the GPS at the same time. Map goes out when a call comes in but it does not lose the tracking when the call is over. I think the recent software update fixed this problem that other uses were having with the Navigator 5 version.
    Last edited by Expidia; 10-14-2005 at 08:27 PM.

TomTom plus features, no Treo 650?

On TomTom's site you can sign up for Traffic, Maps, Traffic cams, Voices etc
    Some subscriptions are free till years end as a trial but . . .

There is no Treo 650 listed and you need to put in the phones specific codes to use these apps. There is a Palm Choice but it's not a smartphone so the place to find the 10 digit code is not there.

Has anyone downloaded these trial apps to their 650's yet. I emailed Cus Ser but have not heard back yet on this issue (Although it says 24 hr response time and it's only been 12).

Below are the choices, Palm one does not work.

Step 2 of 5
    Please select your TomTom device and software Continue
    GO with
    TomTom GO (Standard software)TomTom GO 5.xx (Update)GO 300 with
    TomTom GO 300GO 500 with
    TomTom GO 500GO 700 with
    TomTom GO 700Mobile Phone - Microsoft Smartphone with
    TomTom MOBILETomTom MOBILE 5Mobile Phone - Nokia Smartphone (Symbian) with
    TomTom MOBILETomTom MOBILE 5Palm with
    TomTom NAVIGATOR for PalmTomTom NAVIGATOR 5 for PalmPocketPC with
    TomTom NAVIGATORTomTom NAVIGATOR 2TomTom NAVIGATOR 3TomTom NAVIGATOR 5TomTom NAVIGATOR Navigation Pack 1710TomTom NAVIGATOR Navigation Pack 2110TomTom NAVIGATOR 2004 - USATomTom NAVIGATOR HP 6500 GPS Navigation

has anyone got plus functions working on a treo yet?

Downloaded extra voices today . . .

When I bought my TomTom Nav5 a few weeks ago, I couldn't seem to get the TomTom.com site to download some of the "plus" (add on for $6.00 each U.S.) optional voices at that time to work.
    Another try tonight and their site is working for voices now for those of you that might want voices like John Cleese or like my choice of Sylvia (the sexy voice).

Here is a tip I found to get it to work on the 650 after you download an optional voice. You CAN'T do it from the phone under the TomTom's "extras" icon under "download extras". But you CAN go to Tomtom.com and download a voice from there.
    After you pay for it an email links you to a download site. 3 files will download and I first used the Palm's quick install tool and saw one file automatically went to the internal side and two files went to the external card side in the quick install screen. But after a hotsync the internal file installed but the two going to the card had YELLOW explanation marks saying "no application on the organizer to handle this file". So I remembered reading in a thread that a poster suggested moving these files using a card reader. I used the carder reader to view the files in the TomTom folder on the card and saw similar files were in there except different #'s my new voice files were "data79.chk" etc. So I moved the new files into the folder and went into the 650 in TomTom and now had the "New" voice icon (Sylvia) to choose from.
    All in all pretty simple process. I had deleted the original voice file in the Tomtom folder before I moved in the two new ones, but I think you may be able to leave the old ones in along with the new ones and have two voices to switch back and forth to. I'm not sure though if it works with the old voice files and the new ones in the folder at the same time. My new voice works now, so I'll leave well enough alone rather than play around by adding the old voice files that came on the CD back into the folder on the card just to see if we can just add new voice files to the card without deleting the old ones.

Maybe someone knows the answer as I'd like to add John Cleese too?