+ Reply to Thread

Thinking Of Switching My i730 for a Treo 650.... Your Thoughts?

Hello,

I just purchased the Samsung i730 yesterday for $650 from Verizon... yeah ouch!

Anyways, this is basically what I want to do with my pda...

1.) Automatically check my pop email accounts every xx minutes

2.) Be able to send AND receive email without having to be connected to my laptop or any computer.

3.) Occassionally browse the internet

4.) Use AIM and Yahoo Messenger

5.) Use as bluetooth/usb modem with my laptop on occasion (as backup internet connection)

The i730 seems to do all of that, but it is extremely hard to setup and get right... definately NOT user friendly if you ask me. Maybe I'm just frustrated with it, but that's just me. The EVDO is a nice feature, but browsing the internet is not the best experience ever...lol.

Anyways, how would you compare the Treo 650 to the i730? Obviousely most of you have the Treo 650.... So here is my question for you...

Would you say that your Treo 650 is user friendy, and easy to setup?

Will it perform all the the functions that I have listed above?

If both of the phones cost the exact same amount, which one would you go with?

Thanks for your time

I do enjoy and love the Treo650. I came from the Samsung i500 and while the available features are similar, the Treo650 is hands down better. There are many things about the Treo that disappoint me because I believe at this point in time we should be beyond 1.0 issues with Smartphones and OS's. If you care to you can do a search on my name to see what I believe the issues are but I know there are many voices here that know a lot more than I do about smarthones.

Everything you want to do can be done on the Treo but some work better with 3rd party programs.

#1 & 2 POP email - It comes with VersaMail There are a number of very capable email programs that people recommend. I and I know many others recommend Snapper. It is a fantastic program.

#2 Of course works assuming your email is on a server. I use usa.net for my email. It costs money but I get almost zero spam.

#3 The current browser is faster than previous versions. It is a much better experience then my i500. Most java scripting will work with this browser but some Java or all java code will not. Not sure where the line is drawn. I can get to most sites even the ones I need to logon to in order to use. Still there are some login sites that fail for me. Coming from EVDO you better be disappointed. Tell us because if you are not disappointed then we should not be biting our nails waiting for its arrival.

#4 Verichat another third party program will let you connect to AIM and Yahoo. People complain about the yearly fee but other than that it works great.

#5 I haven't done it and depending on your wireless provider you maybe in violation of the agreement but it has been done. Not sure how well it works.

Most of the above items are third party programs. They are easy to setup and I believe the Treo650 is also easy to configure.

Not sure if the Treo650 is better than your Samsung. As a Pocket PC it probably has a lot more capability. Can you play streaming MP3 directly from the Net? With Palm you have to hotsync. However Pocket tunes and mobiTV work great on the Treo. Not being able to play MP3's directly from the Net is one of my beefs as well as not being able to create folders or run as much as I want on the card. Some programs have to reside in memory.
    Have you owned a Palm phone or PDA in the past? If you are familiar with Palm then the Treo650 will be very easy to use.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your kind reply. I appreciate it :=)

I like the Samsung... the EVDO is a pretty nice feature, but getting the darn unit setup and working properly is hard as heck. And the keyboard on it is super duper duper small and crammed togeather, so that in order for me to use it, I have to hold it under a bright light, and try to type something....of course I have to get used to it. I guess if I just had it setup properly, life would be easier.

Quick question....

Does the Treo check for new email every xx minutes, or is that something that has to be done manually?

VersaMail which comes with the phone will check every X number of minutes. I don't remember the choices and couldn't find them when I did a quick look. VersaMail is in ROM so it can't be removed unless you are adventurous and use a ROM tool to create your own ROM version. Snapper can be set to check every 5,10,20, 30, 45 minutes, hour, 1.5 hours, 2 hours and 4 hours between a specific time and days. I set mine up to check every 10 minutes between 8 AM and 5 PM. After that if home I grab the emails on my PC. I then know after 5 I can manually continue to check and delete without losing the emails because I now have them on my PC. Of course you can delete the emails from the server in Snapper.

http://www.snappermail.com/wireless/email/

Re: Thinking Of Switching My i730 for a Treo 650.... Your Thoughts?

Originally posted by Mystic Angel
    Hello,

I just purchased the Samsung i730 yesterday for $650 from Verizon... yeah ouch!

Anyways, this is basically what I want to do with my pda...

1.) Automatically check my pop email accounts every xx minutes

2.) Be able to send AND receive email without having to be connected to my laptop or any computer.

3.) Occassionally browse the internet

4.) Use AIM and Yahoo Messenger

5.) Use as bluetooth/usb modem with my laptop on occasion (as backup internet connection)

The i730 seems to do all of that, but it is extremely hard to setup and get right... definately NOT user friendly if you ask me. Maybe I'm just frustrated with it, but that's just me. The EVDO is a nice feature, but browsing the internet is not the best experience ever...lol.

Anyways, how would you compare the Treo 650 to the i730? Obviousely most of you have the Treo 650.... So here is my question for you...

Would you say that your Treo 650 is user friendy, and easy to setup?

Will it perform all the the functions that I have listed above?

If both of the phones cost the exact same amount, which one would you go with?

Thanks for your time
    I've owned both devices. If all you want to do is what you've listed above, go with the 650. The 650 can't do as many things as the I730 but its easier to setup and definitely does everything you've mentioned and does those things better than the I730. I think the keyboard on the 650 is better and as far as one-handed use goes, it smokes every other smartphone out there.

I definitely enjoyed the added functioality the I730 brought to the table (EVDO, wifi, faster processor, better multimedia experience, etc) but it definitely has its annoying quirks (more than its fair share IMO). Since the only things you've listed are basic smarpthone tasks, which the 650 excels at, I would definitely go with that device. As far as phone functionality goes, the 650 is the better "phone." The I730 has a steep learning curve and its not for everyone and if you can't afford to put in the time its going to take to really learn the I730, you're definitely better off with the 650, which has its own learning curve but definitely not as steep as the I730. 650 is more user-friendly IMO....

Hello,

Can you view embedded movies with the Treo 650, such as the one here... http://www.videocodezone.com/videos/...se_of_you.html I know on the i730 you can't....

I tried the site on my Treo650 and it didn't work.

Originally posted by lyoung
    I tried the site on my Treo650 and it didn't work.
    Darn... well thanks for trying for me.

I can answer this question as I have both. I first bought the Treo 650 and used it for 2 weeks, then I bought the i730 and used it for 2 weeks, right now I have switched back to the Treo 650. The Samsung i730 is currently sitting in the box. Over all I like the Treo 650 as it is much simpler to use and I am able to use it using one hand. I think the keyboard is a little better too. The Samsung i730 is a very nice machine, it is fast has many capabilities, etc. but most of those capabilities I am realizing that I will not be able to use, etc. so for me it might be a waste. As you know the Bluetooth on the Treo 650 has been tweaked down just a bit compared to the i730, most users will not notice it, but I can notice it. Where the i730 will transfer the call to the bluetooth headset within a ring, the Treo 650 will take about 2 rings. If you liek playing games then go with the Treo 650 as it supports mulitple buttons being pressed at the same time, whereas most PPC devices such as the i730 do not. The programs for the PPC are much better and refined in my opinion, but they do use a lot more memory than the Palm programs, as Palm programs are a little more efficient in memory usage. Which ever you decide you cannot go wrong, get yourself a 1Gb SD card and try to install most of your programs on it, etc. this is what I have been doing. I hope this helps. God Bless.

If mail is your major concern. Forget the stock software the comes with the 650, invest in SnapperMail. It works very well for auto downloads etc.