+ Reply to Thread
    gkw

Caution - Lost my MOU!

I went to the VZW store today to sign a new two year contract for my four phones.

The woman there wrote the contract with no data plan and told me that the MOU would be enabled.

When I tried to go on-line tonight, NO SERVICE AVAILABLE!

I called VZW and Data Services and spent 45 minutes on the phone listening to the same broken record that there is no plan available for my phone to use minutes.

I tried to explain to him that I was using it less than 12 hours earlier and he said it must have been a fluke! And of course he had no knowledge of any plan ever existing.

Can anyone give me some guidance on re-enabling MOU?

GW
    Palm fan since Pilot 1000

Short of a time machine, I think you are hosed.

You didn't say which 4 phones you have are why you would sign a new contract (2yr, no less) for phone you already have.

In any case, any phone that Vzw does not consider a PDA-phone can add Internet access (Mobile Web) for $5 a month per phone on top of the bill. The new Vzw plans call for all PDA-phones to either be on a data plan and will default to the very expensive pay-as-you-go plan. If someone told you different, they were wrong. If you got new phones, you have 14 days (I think?) to return them for a refund less minutes used.

I have MOU on my phone, but I am not sure what the big stink about it is. I was on the unlimited data plan and could then be on a cheaper family plan - since my data time was "free" we needed fewer minutes. Swithing to MOU required the $5 fee (this was before when you could do this) but I also had to get more monthly shared minutes. I saved a little money, but if you are a heavy data user I don't see where it would save you much since you would have to get even more minutes.

Dennis

i too have never quite grokked the whole MOU thing. i use a TON of data on my treo - that's part of the point of it, imo!

doody.

gkw
    I have four phones in the family and can save money on the family share plan, which is why I signed new agreements.

As for the Data thing, I was one of those dedicated 7135 users who loved the integration of a phone and a PDA. I rarely get emails that are so urgent that I have to read them on a 2" screen, but occasionally like to check to see what is there or do a quick Google search. I also send photos back and forth with my kids in college.

Shoving a data plan down my throat (2 data plans now that my wife replaced her 7135 with the 650), negates any savings that the family share plan had actually increases my bill for something I don't need and never asked for. All I want is a well integrated phone/PDA. Not a micro-laptop strapped to my hip for 24/7 email and surfing.

Furthermore, as a VZ user with two land lines, VZ unlimited long distance, DSL and FIOS coming next month, I would think that they would be more concerned about keeping a customer happy who spends north of $5000 a year on their services!

Sorry for the venting. Thanks for listening and I still would like advice on how to get back to MOU.

GW
    Palm fan since Pilot 1000

What I would do if I were you (and what I did) was look at your recent MOU bills and see how many of your minutes were data and how many voice. If you sign up for either data plan (for most folks the cheap one is enough for what you describe you do) then those MOU data minutes will be gone from your plan - so you can now take a lower priced plan.

In my case we had 4 phones on a family plan too (800 minutes or so) but I was also paying for the data plan on top of that. It was cheaper for me to go to more minutes on the family plan and drop data. It would not cost that much for for me to drop down minutes on the family plan and add the $25 data plan back. Maybe that will work for you?

With my 7135 they had trouble with charging me for both MOU AND data for the same calls. I had to keep calling in each month for credits and finally the data center suggested I drop the data plan since they could not fix it in the system for some reason. Of course, this was long before they put this new PDAPhone=data plan requirement in.

About the only end run I could think of is to do an online ESN change from your PDA phone to a spare non-PDA phone (has to have wireless web and E911/GPS), then add the $5 web access plan to that line, then later try to online ESN change back to the PDA phone. I am betting the PDA phone ESNs are flagged in the system and will not go back w/o a phone call - and they will catch it then and make you take a data plan or put you on pay-as-you-go.

Also, if you make data calls via "quick to net" (the slow connection type - not 1xRTT) I think those will always come out of minutes. So you could try dropping the data plan on going online with quick to net. I think there is a thread here about how to change the dialing options to do this.

Dennis

Geek
    I can't say if this will work or not, but I found it in another thread and jotted it down. I haven't had to try it yet because when I switched from the 7135 to my 650 I was able to activate it myself on-line so didn't change my plan with MOU.

You definitely need to talk to the Data Group: (866) 788-9387, option 2, 3x

Here's the info I cut and pasted:

When you sign up with a PDA phone they have to enter the ESN then 2 features = PERSB and KBUUE. Once this is complete they should Remove KBUUE and Replace with 1XPP1.
    This will get you off of unlimited data and put you back on express network.

Here are some other codes I found also:
    5MB/month for free code 71701

National Enhanced Services 68878

Not sure how receptive they'll be telling them how to do their job though.

From what I've read they'll also try to scare you into a data plan telling you that the 650 will stay connected to data and run up a thousand dollar bill. And they'll notate your account that you've been warned and if you run up a thousand dollar bill they won't credit it.

Hope this helps.

Also, if you make data calls via "quick to net" (the slow connection type - not 1xRTT) I think those will always come out of minutes. So you could try dropping the data plan on going online with quick to net. I think there is a thread here about how to change the dialing options to do this.

Nope... I was getting that with my 7135. But with the 650, I get nailed with a data charge for both high-speed (1X) and QNC.

Originally posted by dwynne

In any case, any phone that Vzw does not consider a PDA-phone can add Internet access (Mobile Web) for $5 a month per phone on top of the bill. The new Vzw plans call for all PDA-phones to either be on a data plan and will default to the very expensive pay-as-you-go plan.
    Dennis
    Yeah, Verizon, Cingular and T-Mobile charge a lot for their PDA access. It really does not make much sense to put the price so high that most would not want to add the extra $45 a month to their bills. I am not knocking those carriers, I am just pointing out that they charge way too much.
    Sprint Treo 650: Fair& Flexible National 800Min Family plan with the America roaming option included. $10 Unlimited PDA/Visions access, $4 Equipment replacement, 10% Loyalty discount and free PCS-PCS.