+ Reply to Thread

Blackberry = Pain... Treo = ?????

I have had a "normal" cell phone and seperate PDA for quite some time.. I've had Palm based and Windows based PDA's. I was looking at replacing both with either a Treo 650 or a XV6600/SX66 when work handed me a Blackberry with unlimited Data plan on it - ...

After about a week with the Blackberry, I don't think I am overly impressed (it's with Cingular). I think I can transfer the money the company is putting in the data plan to another device, if I purchase the device myself, so I am back in the market, so to speak.

E-mail on the Blackberry is awesome - web browsing is pitiful, and I have been fighting for about 3 days to get Instant Messenger to work at all, but it keeps giving an error - the folks on blackberryforums.com have had the same problem, and apparently you have to say exactly the right thing in exactly the right order to exactly the right person at Cingular to get the account set up to allow *something* to be done so that Instant Messenger and many other web type apps to work.

Realizing that this is probably carrier dependent, is getting stuff like this to work on the Treo this difficult? I don't want to go through the trouble of convincing work that I need to change the data plan, plus buying a new device for myself only to end up with the same problems I am having now. I think I know that the Blackberry data plans are different from the PDA phone data plans, so I am hoping that is the difference that would make a Treo easier to get working.

My long term goal is to have e-mail, IM, web browsing, and remote desktop ability from the handheld with reasonable performance. Am I asking for too much?

Yes, I am posting the same thing on the treocentral forum in case there are different folks there with different thoughts - if you see it both places, don't yell at me about cross posting - it IS a different message board...

How "long term" are you willing to wait?

Treo plus Blackberry

Since I am not on a Blackberry Enterprise Server, it looks to me like the only advantage that would give me would be a Treo with "push" e-mail - isn't that about it? I mean, the wireless sync and stuff are there too I guess.

Re: Blackberry = Pain... Treo = ?????

Originally posted by rctoyguy
    I have had a "normal" cell phone and seperate PDA for quite some time.. I've had Palm based and Windows based PDA's. I was looking at replacing both with either a Treo 650 or a XV6600/SX66 when work handed me a Blackberry with unlimited Data plan on it - ...

After about a week with the Blackberry, I don't think I am overly impressed (it's with Cingular). I think I can transfer the money the company is putting in the data plan to another device, if I purchase the device myself, so I am back in the market, so to speak.

E-mail on the Blackberry is awesome - web browsing is pitiful, and I have been fighting for about 3 days to get Instant Messenger to work at all, but it keeps giving an error - the folks on blackberryforums.com have had the same problem, and apparently you have to say exactly the right thing in exactly the right order to exactly the right person at Cingular to get the account set up to allow *something* to be done so that Instant Messenger and many other web type apps to work.

Realizing that this is probably carrier dependent, is getting stuff like this to work on the Treo this difficult? I don't want to go through the trouble of convincing work that I need to change the data plan, plus buying a new device for myself only to end up with the same problems I am having now. I think I know that the Blackberry data plans are different from the PDA phone data plans, so I am hoping that is the difference that would make a Treo easier to get working.

My long term goal is to have e-mail, IM, web browsing, and remote desktop ability from the handheld with reasonable performance. Am I asking for too much?

Yes, I am posting the same thing on the treocentral forum in case there are different folks there with different thoughts - if you see it both places, don't yell at me about cross posting - it IS a different message board...

Honestly, with the Blackberry and Treo it all depends on the network. From what I have seen and read, Sprint and Verizon's CDMA network works best with Smart-Devices. GSM/EDGE has been having lots of problems in the past year with black-outs and such.

I recently purchased and used an UTStarcom 6700, and I really did not like using the Windows Mobile 5.0 OS. The Palm OS is way better in my opining. Once you know how to work with the Treo 650, then you should not have any problems. What kinds of problems are you having with your Treo? Do you have any questions I might be able to help answer for you with the Treo 650?

Russell
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 10-23-2005 at 09:00 PM.
    Sprint Treo 650: Fair& Flexible National 800Min Family plan with the America roaming option included. $10 Unlimited PDA/Visions access, $4 Equipment replacement, 10% Loyalty discount and free PCS-PCS.