+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

More info on the I-trek/TomTom Bluetooth GPS (with photos!)...(UPDATE)

So, after seeing "Expidia's" post regarding this GPS setup TomTom GPS bundle came today, 1st impress. complete with link to the place he/she purchased it from, I did a little looking around, and decided to take the plunge. My last car had an OEM Nav system, and I'd been missing it in my current ride. Previously, I had come thisclose to buying a standalone TomTom or Magellan unit, but couldn't make myself spend the money. (yes, I'm "frugal" in some cases.... )

This setup looked like it might be perfect, so...why not try it?

I can report that the system works exactly as advertised, and is an amazing value when compared to the other GPS setups I've seen. TomTom's interface is SO intuitive, it's a joy to use. The true test of that is whether one can figure out how to use it without consulting the manual, a test this setup passes with flying colors. Sound quality and volume is excellent for the spoken directions - no need for any kind of volume-boosting software at all.

The kit is very complete, including even a nice mount for the Treo that holds it securely to an air vent, and the GPS receiver itself is TINY, which is a bonus. Also included is a leather belt clip/case that would allow GPS navigation while on foot, which is cool.

Semson's was great to deal with - I ordered it on a Monday afternoon, and had it Wednesday, using DHL 2-day shipping.

There are 8 CDs of maps - so far I've only downloaded the one for the Midwest, which were 164 megs in total. I HotSync'ed them, which took quite a while, but only did that to be sure they ended up in the right directory and location on the SD card. Next time I want to add maps, I'll just use my SD card reader, and the transfer time will be negligible. One thing that you should consider if you don't have one yet is a BIG SD card, so that you can put multiple regions on the same card. Mine is a 1 gig card that I got for less than $40, and it works perfectly. It's not even a high-speed card, BTW - apparently, the Treo processor has plenty of muscle for this application.

This setup really drives home the utility of the Treo, IMO, and I couldn't be happier with it.

This photo shows the "night" mode screen display. The Treo holster/vent clip can be seen, and the SMALL doohickey on the dash is the GPS receiver, which is only about 3" x 1.5" x 1". (!!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More info on the I-trek/TomTom Bluetooth GPS (with photos!)...-gps-006.jpg  
    Last edited by zcd2.7t; 10-26-2005 at 09:27 AM.

"Daytime" screen mode:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More info on the I-trek/TomTom Bluetooth GPS (with photos!)...-gps-003.jpg  

Based on your (and others') review, I think I am going to get this. I currently have a GMC Denali and I am paying for the OnStar "Directions and Connections" subscription which is something like 30 bucks a month, so this baby will pay for itself in the first year. I don't even use directions all that often, but the times I need it ... it all seems worth it. The onstar solution is actually semi-dangerous, if you ask me. An operator just verbally tells you what to do, you may record it, but when it comes time to make several turns in quick succession, it is a problem with pushing buttons for playback, pushing buttons to stop, etc. It is cumbersome and way more dangerous than your phone sitting in a holster telling you where to go and turn. I hope this thing works as advertised.

Here's the big question, though ... DOES THIS SOFTWARE IN SOME WAY FORCE THE 650's SCREEN TO STAY BACKLIT? If the damn thing goes dim all the time, that doesn't seem very useful to me. Those of you using this set-up, I would really appreciate an answer to this question.

Thanks,
    Peter

Actually, there is 3rd party free software that sets your treo to keep the backlight on all the time. Sorry, I forgot the name, but check treocentral.com . I have a Tom Tom stand alone, and I think Tom Tom is the best on the market!

zcd2.7t...
    How does TomTom's GPS work with making and receiving calls? From other posts it sounds like you loose the GPS display during the call and it returns when the call is over. It would make sense that you'd loose audible directions as well...has that been your experience? Also, when you exit the GPS application to make a call does it also continue to track until you end the call and go back to the GPS app?
    Thanks for the photos!

Originally posted by Peter
    Based on your (and others') review, I think I am going to get this. I currently have a GMC Denali and I am paying for the OnStar "Directions and Connections" subscription which is something like 30 bucks a month, so this baby will pay for itself in the first year. I don't even use directions all that often, but the times I need it ... it all seems worth it. The onstar solution is actually semi-dangerous, if you ask me. An operator just verbally tells you what to do, you may record it, but when it comes time to make several turns in quick succession, it is a problem with pushing buttons for playback, pushing buttons to stop, etc. It is cumbersome and way more dangerous than your phone sitting in a holster telling you where to go and turn. I hope this thing works as advertised.

Here's the big question, though ... DOES THIS SOFTWARE IN SOME WAY FORCE THE 650's SCREEN TO STAY BACKLIT? If the damn thing goes dim all the time, that doesn't seem very useful to me. Those of you using this set-up, I would really appreciate an answer to this question.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Screen stays lit at all times. This SOUNDS like a great idea, but it points out just how much juice the display takes. Suffice to say that you'll need to plug into the lighter socket for any drive over an hour or so.

Originally posted by Dave62
    zcd2.7t...
    How does TomTom's GPS work with making and receiving calls? From other posts it sounds like you loose the GPS display during the call and it returns when the call is over. It would make sense that you'd loose audible directions as well...has that been your experience? Also, when you exit the GPS application to make a call does it also continue to track until you end the call and go back to the GPS app?
    Thanks for the photos!
    No problem on the photos - really tells the story, no?

The phone takes over when an incoming call is received. When you're done, you simply click your way back to the GPS app, and the route picks up wherever you are.

Originally posted by mariog7
    Actually, there is 3rd party free software that sets your treo to keep the backlight on all the time. Sorry, I forgot the name, but check treocentral.com . I have a Tom Tom stand alone, and I think Tom Tom is the best on the market!
    STOIC - stay on in cradle keeps it on while charging.

I have STOIC ... I like it and it works, but I was hoping the screen would stay lit without being plugged in to power supply.

Use Always ON!
    esmass:p

Originally posted by zcd2.7t
    No problem on the photos - really tells the story, no?

The phone takes over when an incoming call is received. When you're done, you simply click your way back to the GPS app, and the route picks up wherever you are.
    UPDATE:

V 5.12 AUTOMATICALLY takes you back to the GPS app when the call is over. Just downloaded this today.

Have you used it with a headset ?

Do the instructions come through the headset if you have one hooked up ?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy

used it for NYC trip past weekend . . .

First trip's use for Tomtom I-Trek M3 setup past weekend.
    Worked great. A few tips I learned: 1. Helps to know the address of the place you are going like a restaurant (in case it's not in database). Most Disks like my old Garmin Mapsource disks are out of date as soon as they are made. It's hard to keep up with restaurants closing and the trendy ones opening (but roads database is pretty much the same). So I found it handy to put places you are going into contacts on the Treo beforehand this way you can avoid an address or place not being in the "click on the name" database by using the advance planning feature>click on direction pointer in middle of screen>click on right arrow for next screen> click on advanced planning icon>click on address and enter it. Now your place of interest, shopping center, restaurant etc is saved to a list and just by clicking on "navigate to" . . your address will be saved to a list reachable from what ever location you are at. This is a simple fix to places of interest database not being as up to date as many would like it to be.
    2. Buy a double dongle at radio shack (under $10) that plugs into cig lighter and gives you two female ends to plug your treo and your gps into for long trips (the I-trek's battery does go for 15 hours, it comes with a car and AC charger too). Dongle comes in handy too if you want to plug another device like an Ipod charger at the same time.
    3. Backlight and screen are on all the time unless you drop the GPS signal it will then go out. I found on long trips you don't need the GPS and Treo on all the time anyway. I turn it on when approaching the exit or destination. Locks back on to the signal in seconds anyway.
    4. Set up one of your treo's top favorite keys (mines on top right) for the TomTom "Navigator" software. I press green phone>center button to unlock treo>right rocker arrow over to "Navigator". This gets you back into the program quickly.

Headphones do work with this setup. But depending on your headphones jack size you might need the $4.95 treo headphone adapter.

So far this $229 setup from Semson's is worth every penny!

Nice pictures posted by this thread's starter, two thumbs up!
    Palm III, V>6035>7135>6035>650>700p>755p (on Vzn), Palm's BT Treo Hdset,

Re: More info on the I-trek/TomTom Bluetooth GPS (with photos!)...

So, after seeing "Expidia's" post regarding this GPS setup TomTom GPS bundle came today, 1st impress. complete with link to the place he/she purchased it from, I did a little looking around, and decided to take the plunge. My last car had an OEM Nav system, and I'd been missing it in my current ride. Previously, I had come thisclose to buying a standalone TomTom or Magellan unit, but couldn't make myself spend the money. (yes, I'm "frugal" in some cases.... )

This setup looked like it might be perfect, so...why not try it?

I can report that the system works exactly as advertised, and is an amazing value when compared to the other GPS setups I've seen. TomTom's interface is SO intuitive, it's a joy to use. The true test of that is whether one can figure out how to use it without consulting the manual, a test this setup passes with flying colors. Sound quality and volume is excellent for the spoken directions - no need for any kind of volume-boosting software at all.

The kit is very complete, including even a nice mount for the Treo that holds it securely to an air vent, and the GPS receiver itself is TINY, which is a bonus. Also included is a leather belt clip/case that would allow GPS navigation while on foot, which is cool.

Semson's was great to deal with - I ordered it on a Monday afternoon, and had it Wednesday, using DHL 2-day shipping.

There are 8 CDs of maps - so far I've only downloaded the one for the Midwest, which were 164 megs in total. I HotSync'ed them, which took quite a while, but only did that to be sure they ended up in the right directory and location on the SD card. Next time I want to add maps, I'll just use my SD card reader, and the transfer time will be negligible. One thing that you should consider if you don't have one yet is a BIG SD card, so that you can put multiple regions on the same card. Mine is a 1 gig card that I got for less than $40, and it works perfectly. It's not even a high-speed card, BTW - apparently, the Treo processor has plenty of muscle for this application.

This setup really drives home the utility of the Treo, IMO, and I couldn't be happier with it.

This photo shows the "night" mode screen display. The Treo holster/vent clip can be seen, and the SMALL doohickey on the dash is the GPS receiver, which is only about 3" x 1.5" x 1". (!!)
    Expidia says: Besides being so cheap when compared to a built in or dash top unit . . . the portability is the best. Used it in a rental car past weekend to NYC with the vent clip and using my Wife's car tomorrow for a business trip to Boston. Will use the vent clip setup again. Was a nice surprise to find that vent clip in the box. Can't do all this with built in units, to say nothing of the extra $1000-2000 cost. Which would be double for both my cars to have GPS abilities.
    Palm III, V>6035>7135>6035>650>700p>755p (on Vzn), Palm's BT Treo Hdset,

Originally posted by Schavlan
    Have you used it with a headset ?

Do the instructions come through the headset if you have one hooked up ?
    I had to try it out this morning to figure out the answer....which is apparently no. I was unable to get the audio to come through my BT headset.

Now, I'm not necessarily an expert on these things, but I couldn't figure out how to make this happen. Perhaps you could ask TomTom on their website?

Re: Re: More info on the I-trek/TomTom Bluetooth GPS (with photos!)...

Originally posted by Expidia
    Expidia says: Besides being so cheap when compared to a built in or dash top unit . . . the portability is the best. Can't do all this with built in units, to say nothing of the extra $1000-2000 cost.

What he said /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I had to try it out this morning to figure out the answer....which is apparently no. I was unable to get the audio to come through my BT headset.

Now, I'm not necessarily an expert on these things, but I couldn't figure out how to make this happen. Perhaps you could ask TomTom on their website?
    And one more thing -

I tried it with my wired headset today, and the directions indeed are piped to the headset.

FWIW.

Got it today ... AWESOME!!!!!!! Some of the most incredible technology I have ever seen. And to think I was going to stick with my 7135 for a while. Goodbye OnStar (and your $30-something / month), hello TomTom.

Since installing TomTom on my 650, I get this message in the hotsync log:

Unable to create handheld database. SyncCreateDB returned 4019.
    HotSync Exchange synchronization failed

Protocol Error: The requested command is not supported (4019)

Doesn't seem to be affecting the performance of anything, but I would like it to stop. Does anyone have any information to share on this?

Thanks

This looks very cool. One question, and might be a stupid one... Does the Treo have to use a data connection while interfacing with the GPS? I saw another post somewhere saying the guy had unlimited data... don't know if that is required or not. I have MOU right now. Data isn't a problem unless it requires a constant connection.

Thanks.

Mike