+ Reply to Thread

New to treo - no graffiti question

I am a long time user of palm products but this will be my first without graffiti (which I think is great for entering data). How have others coped with this and how does thumb typing compare to graffiti?

Thanks

I just switched to the Treo from the 7135 and found that I like the typing, though I have to admit, I was so used to writing that I found myself grabbing the stylus before I'd remember.

Looking around on the web, I did see Grafitti Anywhere program. It may help if you find the keyboard doesn't do what you want:

http://www.download.com/Graffiti-Any...-10289246.html

There are three main programs available for adding Graffiti to a treo 650. I have tried them all. (I'm a former 7135 owner, and longtime graffiti 1 user.)

I've reviewed these all at length, but to summarize:

Graffiti Anywhere is free, very reliable, and very fast. It only allows for Graffiti 2 strokes. There is a patch floating around that lets you use Graffiti 1 with GA, but it introduces other problems (like you can't make punctuation marks.)

TealScript is not free, very reliable, but it slows the treo down substantially when enabled. However, it is very flexible, has tons of options, and let you use G1 or G2 strokes, or indeed, ANY stokes you like for any letter.

Jot is no longer commercially available, but Googling will find it. It uses either G2 or "JotScript," and some strokes are changable. It is fast, but it can causes werid crashes in my experience. The lack of commercial support is the big problem here.

Overall, I recommed Graffiti Anywhere. I learned G2 relatively quickly with it, and am much faster with it than with the tiny keyboard on my treo.

Hope this helps,
    Warr

Thanks for the great feedback I will give graffiti anywhere a try and report back on my experience.

I too was nervous about giving it up, but actually like not having to pull the stylus out a lot more efficient. In fact, I now find myself disliking "older" programs that are not compatible with the navigation button, and force me to pull out the stylus or try to push buttons with my little finger.

I also like the keyboard, but wish is was a wee bit bigger/spaced apart like the blackberry, but have gotton used to it.

Try to make yourself use the keyboard instead of using the crutch of graffiti; you may become a convert!
    Release the Hounds!

How about graffitti shortcuts?

I, too, am mostly happy with the keyboard on the 650, but I haven't figured out how to do the graffitti shortcuts you see on pulldown menus (e.g. /n for a new entry). Is there a way to use these without installnig an aftermarket graffitti addon?
    Thx
    Mike

if you just hit the "menu" button next to the navigation button, then the corresponding letter listed in the menu, it works the same way.
    Release the Hounds!

Shea - Thanks

Shea
    Thanks.
    MikeA

Please explain the difference between G1 & G2 strokes?

Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    There are three main programs available for adding Graffiti to a treo 650. I have tried them all. (I'm a former 7135 owner, and longtime graffiti 1 user.)

I've reviewed these all at length, but to summarize:

Graffiti Anywhere is free, very reliable, and very fast. It only allows for Graffiti 2 strokes. There is a patch floating around that lets you use Graffiti 1 with GA, but it introduces other problems (like you can't make punctuation marks.)

TealScript is not free, very reliable, but it slows the treo down substantially when enabled. However, it is very flexible, has tons of options, and let you use G1 or G2 strokes, or indeed, ANY stokes you like for any letter.

Jot is no longer commercially available, but Googling will find it. It uses either G2 or "JotScript," and some strokes are changable. It is fast, but it can causes werid crashes in my experience. The lack of commercial support is the big problem here.

Overall, I recommed Graffiti Anywhere. I learned G2 relatively quickly with it, and am much faster with it than with the tiny keyboard on my treo.

Hope this helps,
    Warr

Quote Originally Posted by kneadingu
    Please explain the difference between G1 & G2 strokes?

If your device runs PalmOS 5.0 or older, the recognition engine of your device is Graffiti 1.
    If it runs PalmOS 5.2 or newer, the recognition engine is Graffiti 2.
    here is a charater map for G2

http://www.palm.com/us/products/input/graffiti2.html

the one thing i hate about G2 &/or grafittianywhere is i can never get the "i" to work???

I like MobileWrite for graffiti. You can get a 15-day free trial at: http://www.inkmarksoftware.com.
    Richard