+ Reply to Thread

Why can't I delete an app ?

I am trying to delete this app called ABx guide. I did the delete from phone and from card. Then I dleted anything that says ABX guide in user back up folder as well as from archive folder but each time I sync, there it is. ABX gets installed.

I don't remember my ID or the pw for the site where I can update abx guide. So I thought may be I'll get rid of it then re-register and d/l abx guide again so I can update it. But why can't I get rid of it ?

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar
    I had this happen once where an app would always reinstall itself if it found itself missing. I went to the desktop and did a file search and found every occurrence of the file on my hard drive and deleted it. That was back before I learned about the install folder.

You right click start then go explore, program files, palmone, (your sync name), then look in the install folder.

If not just do a file search and delete every occurrence.

Catch ya later OC

you also want to delete it from your backup folder, the path should be something like this: C:/programfiles/palmone/your hotsync username/backup/delete program in question. hope that helps

There is an "install" folder ? Hmmm.. I'll look into that. Thanks Jim.

Originally posted by mrchuckbadazz
    you also want to delete it from your backup folder, the path should be something like this: C:/programfiles/palmone/your hotsync username/backup/delete program in question. hope that helps

Yup did that as I stated in my 1st post. There must be something else. may be what Jim is talking about. Will let ya know how that goes.

Hey Jim, lemme ask you this. I still haven't done the update. Here is what I am thinking and this sorta takes care of my problem in this thread.

There is nothing on this phone (app wise) that I would miss except for the photos and videos I took with Treo. So what would happen if saved the photos and videos on my desktop and wipe out everything that relates to palmone. Get rid of palmone folder in my program files. Do the hard reset. Now install the Cd that came with the phone. Do the updater. So now I got a phone that's factory fresh, right ? Then I would put the photos and videos from desktop back into the palnone folder and sync again.

Could this work as intended ?

sorry i missed that in the first post. it has to be in the install folder.

Registered User jamespaulritter's Avatar
    Thats alot of work for no reson. When you do the update and a selective restore the treo is factory freash anyway. You might still have an application reinstall itself anyway since it is not using the palm desktop to reinstall itself.

Did you do the file search to find all occurences of the file on the PC desktop?