+ Reply to Thread

Infrared hotsync speed?

To avoid carrying around cables, I used the infrared port to do hotsync with my Kyocera 6035. It worked well.

When I migrated to the Kyocera 7135, I could still do infrared hotsync, but is was miserably slow. I believe the excuse was that it was due to the differences between Palm OS 3 and 4.

I'm now considering migrating to the Treo 650. I've searched this site, but can find no comparison. So, does anyone use infrared hotsync on the Treo 650, and if so, how does the speed compare to the 6035 and 7135?

Thanks.

This ought to help:
    http://www.a1-electronics.net/PcHard...nections.shtml

I used to use IrDA with my 6035 and it was painfully slow. I tried it with my 650- same result. Go with BT or better yet, USB.

Thanks for the response. If the Treo 650 IR sync is as fast as the 6035, I'll be happy. So, can I deduce that you are saying that 650 IR sync is dramatically faster than the 7135?

Bluetooth is good for a hands-free headset, but my company-supplied laptop doesn't support it. And USB requires a cable that I have to remember to take with me to meetings and get tangled in my car.

I was syncing some pretty hefty files so the speed just wasn't there. IrDA will do OK if you configure Hotsync to do the minimum (sans large Excel or mp3 files). Check what IrDA driver you're using, too. I seem to remember some weirdness with the Texas Instrument's config. The one I ended up using was called IrDA2K, I believe. I gotta admit- it was pretty convenient to sync w/o wires....