+ Reply to Thread

Sitting on the fence... Treo 650 or not

Hi everyone,

I'm suffering from second thoughts on getting a Treo 650. Or at least my sense of guilt is nagging at me that I might not need the Treo... that I could do almost as well with just a PDA and POP (plain ole phone).

Since my cell phone is my primary phone, and I use if for work as well as personal use, it needs to be a good quality communication device. The cheapy phone I originally got with my plan just isn't cutting it there. I'm also not a fan of small phones...

I also need to keep track of expense records (mileage) and a growing list of contacts. I'd also like to keep a running record of various notes on shooting conditions, etc (I'm a photographer) in different venues and buildings around town.

I could do both with the Treo... or with a separate PDA/phone. I just haven't been able to find a decent phone I'd be happy with other than my short-lived 7135 (dead and never to return).

I'd also love to eventually get the Tom-Tom mapping setup too.

I'm have Verizon for a provider... so I am limited to their phone choices. I keep telling myself that the Treo is a decent phone that'll do all that I need it to and then some.

Is the phone reception with the Treo good? Would this be a intelligent purchase... or am I just indulging my tech fetish???

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm looking for justification (or rationalization) for the purchase.

Regards,

Alan

Loving this powerful bastard mikeyis009's Avatar

Thumbs up To Treo or not to Treo ........

I say go for it. I love mine.

It is my primary phone in everyway. I have no need for a homephone with such a great cell and canceled the house phone completely.

The Treo can do everything you described and much more.

I sync Outlook to it. (Contacts, email, to do, memos.)
    I have 600MB of Mp3's on a SD card.
    I even have movies on it. Currently, I have Jeepers Creepers 2 on it in the spirit of Halloween.
    I have Excel files that I can edit and save back to my desktop.
    I can snap a pic or take a video with sound of anything at anytime and send to anyone in the world on email. I just sent a pic of me in my orange Hilfiger shirt to a friend in another state. A little Halloween fun.
    I have hundreds or contacts, both business and personal, seperated easily by catagories.
    Full internet access thru Verizon. PDAnet to hop on my laptop in a pinch.
    Games to play while waiting in a line.
    Ebooks to read on a plane ride.

There will always be a new and better thing coming down the pipe. The Treo 700 with Windows could be great. It will however have a 240x240 screen and not 320x320 like the 650. Maybe you love Microsoft or could care less.
    Earthlink has the 650 at $100 after rebate (they piggyback on Verizon)
    If waiting a few months is no big deal maybe you should wait for the Treo 700w.
    I'd gladly cast a vote for the Treo650 however. It is the best value right now in pda phones.
    It the best pda/cell ever. It is rated at 5 stars on many Mobile magazines and will remain number 1 for months to come.

Having a cell that can store countless documents and files will always be the summit of mobile communications.

BTW, did I mention it has a slick keyboard? Typing out a text message or an email couldn't be easier.

It's hard to beat. Good luck trying.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Thanks Mikey...

But, I just got some bad news from my local Verizon shop. Since I got my plan one month ago (almost to the day), I have to pay full retail for the Treo. At over $500, I just can't swing it right now.

When I got my plan, I purchased a 7135 from eBay and activated it... keeping the cheapy phone I got from the plan for backup. Then my 7135 went FUBAR and I had to reactivate the cheapy. The unscrupulous seller on eBay flaked out on me, so I have no PDA phone at all now.

The Verizon shop manager suggested calling Verizon CS and trying to deal them out of the cheaper cost for a Treo 650 since my 7135 died on me. I might give that a shot. But it doesn't sound good. I might be stuck with my cheapy phone for two years until I can upgrade without giving up a leg and the promise of a first born.

Alan

I agree. That is almost the exact scenario that landed me my 650. Try to reactivate the 7135 online tonight. Then tomorrow call verizon and say "this thing is still dead. I used my old cell for a few days hoping this one would work upon reactivating" They may toss you a new treo if you get lucky.

Enjoy your toy!

I have a brand-new 7135 that I would sell you if interested. Never used, in box, everything. Verizon version.

Peter,

Yes, I would be interested. It seems that I won't be able to get a Treo at the moment, and I did love my 7135 when it worked.

How much do you want.

Alan

I love my 7135, but you might want to check with Verizon before you buy one.

I've heard that Verizon will no longer activate a 7135.

I know they don't want to sell them anymore, but if you walked in with one to put on your existing phone line, what are they going to say, "sorry we'd rather lose you as a customer than put this phone into use on your phone line?"

Actually, it is out of their hands. Verizon won't let then activate the ESN for the phones (in some locations).

My Verizon store said they have a few NIB 7135s that they cannot activate at all. It is a waste in my opinion...

Alan

Kermit, you might be right, but I have a hard time believing it. In my case, I pay a couple of hundred per month for a few lines, data, other extras, etc. If I walked (or called) in and said I've got this brand new 7135, hook it up to one of my lines, I don't think they would deny that. They might try to persuade me against it at first, but I doubt they would let me walk out the door with all of my services (and their 200/month revenue) cancelled.

Lightbulb Activate online

Just activate it online and skip all the retail store hassle. You will know if it can be activated or not in 1 minute.

yeah, i have a 7135 I wanted to activate. I was going to start a new plan, and provide the phone myself, and verizon still woulndt go for it. Verizon rep: "The 7135 is banned from the Verizon network." So if you have a working 7135, DONT DEACTIVATE IT, because Verizon wont let you reactivate it.

reason: you can use your minutes to access the internet without paying for data service. Verizon was not amused.

also: i have a 7135 (supposedly unlocked to work with any carrier) I would be hapy to sell for cheap.
    Last edited by rhesuspieces00; 11-02-2005 at 03:38 PM.

The 650 should treat you right; come on in the waters warm.

Smoothop
    Last edited by Smoothop; 11-04-2005 at 12:23 AM.

I have been shopping for "the right" smartphone for the last year and finally took the plunge with the 650. I have been a confirmed Palm 515 user for a long time and I cannot tell you how incredible this "phone" is. I finally gave up the search for the perfect clamshell phone, and I'm glad I did.

For the first time in whenever, I went out of town without my laptop because I was able to do EVERYTHING I needed on my treo 650. The syncing with my work and home email is flawless, the signal (I switched to Verizon) is much better than my Sprint signal (haven't dropped a call yet in 2 weeks), and all the other cool stuff (mp3, cameras, documents to go, plus most of my old Palm software), and just general ease of use is so much better than I thought it would be. It would be nice if the internet feature was at broadband speed, but I can live with current download speed considering everying else it has going for it. I'm glad I didn't wait for something else. The screen quality is outstanding and very sensitive to the touch. Don't even need to use a stylus if you don't want.

I recommend the treo 650 without reservation and with the highest regards.

Verizon was handing out 650's for free to 7135 users who called data services with problems. A great deal but... I assume my 650 as a phone probably works as well as most other duo mode phones out there although it does not work as well for me as my trimode 7135 did in my geographic area.

For now I'll keep spending time and money on my 650 until it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy like a great smartphone should.

Smoothop
    Last edited by Smoothop; 11-04-2005 at 12:00 PM.