+ Reply to Thread

Email alerts vs regular SMS alert

Hi,

I used to have the 7135. I was able to cheat for email on it and just checked Yahoo via the WAP browser for free. Now I have to pay for every precious KB I download.

However! It is free for me to receive SMS. So I was thinking I would just bounce emails to me as SMS. Then if I see one I like I would download at that point. (I don't live and die by them but its nice to see them away from home.)

Is there a way to not be notified for these Net generated SMS's (I'd be ringing all day) and only be alerted for regular SMS messages from other cell phone users (these are what I need to respond to urgently).

Thanks
    ST

I think you'll need either TreoHelper and/or Butler to modify the SMS alerts.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

I currently have Butler but see no functionality to differentiate between different types of SMS. I'll investigate Helper Though.

Thanks

Ok...

So I forgot I also had Helper on board as well. I tried to set up a SMS trigger.

- I have the trigger set to text "y-alerts" as this is the email address they come from.

- I checked off the [] Message box and set the volume to off.
    (btw my drop down list has no tones listed.)

The above steps didn't work (I still get my SMS notification tone when receiving these alerts.) Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    ST

Looks like I have the dubious pleasure of bumping my own thread. After about a week of research I figured out a way to use Ringo. I set up the default ringer as silent. Then I went into each category and assigned them different tones and rings (including unknown numbers). The

Thus when I get an email it comes through silently and if a contact sms's me it uses the ringer assigned to the appropriate category. The only draw back is that I can't have Butler nag me for only the ringing SMS's. So I have to decide to nag or not.

I did notice that Treohelper has what seems to be the basics of what I need, but through research learned that the tone and vibrate selection upon filtering an sms will not work on the 650. Also I learned some neat tricks like setting it up to actually start Versamail and thus create a pseudo push system.

Am I the only person in the world who wants to have email "pushed" this way silently?? I like to have the email there but do not wish to also be wondering what that nagging email alert is. I don't want my life controlled by email. And I don't want my alerts to have a watered down effect. ie if my phone is nagging me I know it is important not some junk mail from viagara.

Ringo costs $29.00. I don't know if it is worth it just for this one feature that I will use. I tried Lightwav too. For some reason it would not filter properly at all.

Anyways I'll keep lookin'... if anyone figures this out it would be appreciated if you could post.

Thanks
    ST

Just a note and a heads up:

If you are on the verizon plan I just found out that even though you may pay for the unlimited text and pix messenging ($5.00 per month). They do charge for non-verizon texts after 50.

the unlimited applies to "Verizon In Customers" or whom ever has verizon the text messages are free. But if they are not verizon in network customers - you are allotted 50 free messages from outside a month after the first 50 then they start tacking on a charge.

I realized this after I got my bill and was charged 10.00 extra for out of network SMS messages, so be careful.
    esmass:p