+ Reply to Thread

Versamail email alert-Can I set it up?

I just got my new Treo 650 last week. I previously owned a TMobile sidekick II and loved that it vibrated every time I got a new email. I know the email on the Treo is different since I have to set up a POP account through Versamail. Is there any way I can set up my sprintpcs.com POP email account to vibrate each time I get an email just like the SMS alerts?? I really miss being able to feel it when I get a new email just like on the Sidekick II.

Thanks!!

There is Sproqit Personal Edition that can receive POP email and fire off an alert when the mail arrives.

I looked at the Sproqit description and it was a full program which I do not need. I already have calendar, etc. Is there any other way you can do this?? Anyone?

I just got a Treo 650 yesterday and set up my personal imap account with versamail. I told it to check for new mail every 60 minutes. I get a little notification alert saying that I have new mail. I haven't played around to see if I could make this a vibrate alert instead.. Is this what you are referring to?

Yes, I am wanting it to vibrate when I get new email messages just like it does for the SMS messages. Let me know if you figure out a way for it to do this.

Hi...

Could one cheat be to use Treohelper? Have your email server forward every message (or filtered messages, your choice) to your cell phone email address via SMS.

Set up a SMS filter in Treohelper to look for "@" in the SMS message (High liklihood it is a email). Then have it perform the action of starting Versamail.

Thus now you are receiving an SMS causing your treo to do what ever you have SMS set up to do. AND you also have it automatically grabbing your email via Versamail. Thus you can stop auto synching every 60 minutes now and just let the alerts activate your email downloads.

ST

Thanks stmax! A few more questions...

Where can I get the treohelper? I have searched for it online and found a sites with it but wanted to ask where you got yours? It's a free download correct?

Also, could you please give me step-by-step directions on how to set it up in the treohelper? I don't trust myself enough and dont want to risk doing the wrong thing.

Thanks again stmax!

Hello...

The link is at: Treo Helper . (Yes it is free)

1. Select SMS from the top menu
    2. Trigger Text: @
    3. After Launch select "Versamail"
    4. If you wish also select [ ] Delete so that the actual SMS message doesn't clutter up your SMS messaging.

Unfortunately none of the other drop down lists eg Message Tone or Vibrate work on the 650. I was actually looking at this option for the OPPOSITE reason. I want to use this method of email retrieval silently with NO tone. aargh.

(The only issue that may occur is the key guard timing out Versamail- not sure if this is an actual issue and what the fix would be. Perhaps using Butler's Keyguard?)

Make sure that [ ]Enable this trigger is selected.

BTW another useful trigger to set up is to launch "Lock". Thus if you lost your Treo you could sms a trigger from another cell phone to lock your device.

Good luck...

ST

Not sure if it s working right??

stmax-

I set up my Treo Helper just like you told me to. I selected Enable this SMS trigger, launch versamail and vibrate and delete at the bottom of the SMS screen. It is not launching the Versamail, is it supposed to? Also, it s not deleting my SMS messages as they come in.

I think you told me before to forward my emails at my server to send to my SMS number. I went into my sprint pcs email account and had them forward to that address. It s working and I am getting an SMS message as the emails come in with a vibration just like all my SMS messages do since I have my phone on vibrate.

Any thoughts on why it s not deleting and not launching the Versamail?

Thanks for your help!

A couple things to check.

1. If it is trying to start Versamail but failing then....From my reading there seems to be issues with the keyguard on the 650. Perhaps try to have your device on and key guard deactivated as you send yourself an email at your desktop. If it works then this is the issue. This is the issue on mine as tries to launch but fails. As I said earlier I'm not sure about the fix. Someone said to try the Butler keyguard.

2. If it is not even trying to launch email to you then check if you have the trigger text set up? There is a description field and a trigger field. Ensure the trigger field is filled in with eg. "@" to catch emails.

Hope this helps...

ST