+ Reply to Thread

650 on Cingular - Voice override data? & Call to connect to data?

I'm very close to jumping in the Treo 650 world, and I don't know that either of these questions would be deal breakers, but I would like to know.

If you are in a "data session", surfing the net, running Instant Messenger, etc, and a phone call comes in, does it bump the data session and get through or is it sent straight to voice mail?

Would it matter if you were in an "EDGE" area or not? I don't think I am....

Also - my brother actually has a 650, and says that once you get past a few quirks, he is pretty happy with it - I was talking to him about unattended e-mail checking, and he says that every 15 minutes, his wakes up, calls to connect, does a send / receive, disconnects, then goes back to sleep. --- Awesome! The part I'm curious about is the "calls to connect" bit... Isn't it always connected?

Anyone?

Resident Curmudgeon
    1x-RTT only supports one "session" per transciever. The Treo 650 only has one transciver, so you can use it for either data or voice, but not both at one time.

Per the fine folks at Verizon Wireless tech support, if you get a call while you are using a data connection, it traps immediately to voicemail. As my Treo didn't arrive this weekend, I can't tell you for sure.

-PatP

Re: 650 on Cingular - Voice override data? & Call to connect to data?

Originally posted by rctoyguy
    I'm very close to jumping in the Treo 650 world, and I don't know that either of these questions would be deal breakers, but I would like to know.

If you are in a "data session", surfing the net, running Instant Messenger, etc, and a phone call comes in, does it bump the data session and get through or is it sent straight to voice mail?

Would it matter if you were in an "EDGE" area or not? I don't think I am....

Also - my brother actually has a 650, and says that once you get past a few quirks, he is pretty happy with it - I was talking to him about unattended e-mail checking, and he says that every 15 minutes, his wakes up, calls to connect, does a send / receive, disconnects, then goes back to sleep. --- Awesome! The part I'm curious about is the "calls to connect" bit... Isn't it always connected?
    So the answer to your questions depend on your service provider. For Sprint/Verizon (CDMA), if you are actively downloading/uploading data and someone tries to call you, the call will go straight to voicemail. When you are not in an active data session, the phone is still connected to the Sprint/Verizon data network but it is a "dormant" connection which means that if someone tries to call you, the call will go through and ring on your phone. The phone automatically goes into this dormant data mode after about 3-4 seconds of data inactivity. Your brother likely was talking about this scenario when he mentioned "calls to connect," that is simply that the 650 would wake up the dormant data connection and an initiate an active data session.

For Cingular, which uses GSM/GPRS/EDGE technology, during an active data session, if someone tries to call you, your data session will be interrupted and the call will ring through on your 650, does not matter if you are in an EDGE area or not.