+ Reply to Thread

Your Thoughts: Is anybody really surfing the net with a 650

Last summer, I was evaluating the i730 vs. 650 (got a 650, as it looked like it would work better as a phone, which I wanted more than a PDA) as an upgrade to the regular phone I had. I envisioned with the browser capability never having to pay for directory services, just go to whitepages.com on the phone and then dial, looking up movie times without having to call directory services then call the theater, etc., I could get my hotmail and yahoo accounts, pay bills via online banking, etc. etc.

What I have found in reality is that given the speed of the 650's connection, unless you are going to a special site that is a palm portal for quick download, I really can't surf the net the way I imagained.I can get my pop based work email very nicely, but can't really just go to regular sites. Speed is too slow, resolution, even in landscape mode is not wide enough for sites (I built my web site assuming minimum resolution of 1024x76

Is this just me, would evdo on the treo be changing the way things work (maybe I should put this post on the i730 site to see), or is it a limitation of these devices.

Just curious about how others really use the device.

I use it quite often as I run a hosting service. I find that it is fast enough to do my job and for casual surfing. I have unlimited data so its not as critical anymore like with my old 7135 and MOU.

When my cable connection is down or I'm mobile, I'll use PDAnet to browse on my PC and speeds are okay.

The integrated Blazer software is kind of slow to begin with. I think its very slow to resond to java/javascript as I noticed that sites that use a lot of it are mcuh slower than sites that dont.

It's plenty fast for what I need. As you mentioned, I mostly go to specially designed sites for smartphones. My favorite is www.webonyourcell.com

If you want to look up addresses, I recommend Directory Assistant by Rick Whitt

Browsing the web direct from any PDA or phone is not going to be like using a laptop or desktop PC. But, if you do your homework, you will find that their is an entire other world out there that is growing up with the mobile browser in mind. For starters, many discussion forums now offer a text only / low-fi version where it is very easy to browse, load, and post to the board. Beyond the custom sites for mobile devices, play around, you will find that certain sites display great on the likes of a Treo or PPC.

I just switched from the PPC-6700 that had EVDO to the Treo 650 and the faster speeds will not enhance your viewing of websites, it will only make the same sites load faster.

Good Luck...

There are alternative browsers you could try, such as Picsel, Xiino, and Opera Mini. You could telnet to an account with Lynx, I guess, also.

It pays to try these other options out.

-Warr

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Originally posted by DoverGeek
    [B]Browsing the web direct from any PDA or phone is not going to be like using a laptop or desktop PC. But, if you do your homework, you will find that their is an entire other world out there that is growing up with the mobile browser in mind. For starters, many discussion forums now offer a text only / low-fi version where it is very easy to browse, load, and post to the board.
    And if you come across a site that does not have a mobile version, you can always try http://www.skweezer.net to convert/format the site so it's more mobile friendly.
    Michael