+ Reply to Thread

source of TV shows/music videos for Treo

I am looking for a source of TV shows/music videos etc that I can run on the TCPMP or Kinoma Player. I don't mind a pay for download service but I understand that I can't easily[U] get these from Itunes and Yahoo music does not allow music video downloads. I have the necessary tools to convert to AVI format.
    Thanks

Marv

If you have Windows XP you can purchase a cheap tuner and record tv on your laptop/desktop just like a tivo. Much cheaper over time than pay as you go.

Thanks

That seems like a good idea. I assume I need a source of cable or satelitte for a good reception if my local channels don't come in well since I don't have an antenna at my office or home.

You are correct. I have Direc TV -- works great. Pain to set up and break down, though really only 2 steps.

Phonefunatic
    Originally posted by bskrtz
    If you have Windows XP you can purchase a cheap tuner and record tv on your laptop/desktop just like a tivo. Much cheaper over time than pay as you go.
    I have Dish network and a DVR. How can I do this? Thanks ahead for any help.

In order to capture television shows from cable or satelite, etc..., you need: Windows Media Center software, plus a tuner that sits in between your satelite (or cable) and your laptop. Once you have those two things, you will need Pocket DVD 3.5 in order to convert the shows that you capture and transfer to your Treo.

Geek
    You can try using MediaPortal (http://mediaportal.sourceforge.net/) to capture the TV by yourself instead of dropping $129 on Win MCE. Pretty impressive for being free.

Does Pocket DVD convert MCE formatted files?

I've just been grabbing stuff with my ReplayTV and transferring stuff from there to the PC using DVArchive.

I took a look at Media Portal. It appears there is support for MS which I know Pocket DVD supports. What isn't clear is do you need a connection to cable, satelite or analog or is the tv capture web based ?

If you have a Tivo. There is freeware software that currently supports the automatic sync of the recorded shows to your Treo.
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000267069984
    http://www.tvharmony.com/main/products.php

If not just get a cheap usb video capture device ~$49 and use pocketdivxencoder (freeware) hooking up the device to your satellite or tuner is not difficult. As for programs without a tuner or cable or satellite you are out of luck. I only know of one company in germany that provides downloads of programming. I know of nothing in the US. The new toy VuGo offers some cable programing from Cartoon network and Nick but it is very limited.

K7AAY Treo 650/Cing & Nokia9300/TMo johnbartley's Avatar

Video for Treo

Originally posted by forest007
    I have Dish network and a DVR. How can I do this? Thanks ahead for any help.
    Which DVR?

DVRS before the 510 (508, 601, 7200, 7100) allow the HD to be removed and content processed it, to join the separate audio & video. 510s and later AFAIK don't permit, so there's a cottage industry which makes drive sleds and add-ons for the older machines.

If you have a newer machine, then you will need a video/audio capture interface and software to support the capture. Cards are generally better than USB2 external adapters.

As to how to convert the source into a format which the Treo can play, I confess ignorance. Visit the
    TCPMP documentation for details.
    John Bartley K7AAY | http://celdata.cjb.net | http://kiloseven.blogspot.com

Phonefunatic

Re: Video for Treo

Originally posted by johnbartley
    Which DVR?

DVRS before the 510 (508, 601, 7200, 7100) allow the HD to be removed and content processed it, to join the separate audio & video. 510s and later AFAIK don't permit, so there's a cottage industry which makes drive sleds and add-ons for the older machines.

If you have a newer machine, then you will need a video/audio capture interface and software to support the capture. Cards are generally better than USB2 external adapters.

As to how to convert the source into a format which the Treo can play, I confess ignorance. Visit the
    TCPMP documentation for details.
    The DVR I have is model 522. Thanks, I didn't know that there was a difference between the card and the USB2 external adapter. I was actually thinking of getting the external adapter. As far as converting the file, as long as the software (some software does) will convert the file to AVI format I can use MMPLAYER to play it on the treo. Thanks a lot for the info.

I use bit torrent.
    Client - Azureus
    Search Site - mininova.org

There are other search site but mininova has a ton of tv shows.