+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Voice Dial

Voice Dial

I installed Voicedial that I downloaded from the Palm web site for the 14 day trial. It has since expired.

BUT IT STILL WORKS, even though it says expired.

I am not complaining, but is this common and has anyone else had this happen?

I was willing to buy it, but if the cow is giving free milk, my credit card is staying in my pocket.

Any thoughts?

it works but it only is supposed to work with digit dials. If you want to continue using voice dialing you're supposed to pull out your credit card. I am currently looking for a free voice dial service for my 650. If i find anything i'll let ya know.

rob

Originally posted by rbbiedavie
    it works but it only is supposed to work with digit dials. If you want to continue using voice dialing you're supposed to pull out your credit card. I am currently looking for a free voice dial service for my 650. If i find anything i'll let ya know.

rob
    There is no free program or service as far as I know.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Everyone is correct. After expiration, It only works with the dialing of numbers not names. The reason I did not realize this, is that it was so poor on names, that I was only using it to call out numbers where is is very good (as long as I know the numbers)

I'm sorry for the silly question, but what other features and purpose Voice Dial has beside dialing numbers corresponding to the name we'd record on it?
    Thanx.

Some of the Voice Dialing applications allow you to do voice command operations. So, you could launch an application by voice. VoiceLauncher and Voice Call support this feature.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

The purpose of Voice Dial is to allow you to call someone by the name that you entered into your Contacts database without having to train the system to recognize that particular name. This differs from the implementation of most of the original voice recognition systems on phones where you would typically have to apply a voice tag to a particular name. For example, "HOME", or "WORK", or something similar. With this application, you could say "Call John Smith, Mobile" at it will know how to search for that name and it will dial the correct number; even if the Contact has several numbers applied to it.

It's not perfect by any means, but it's a pretty good improvement. And yes, it will allow you to dial the numbers directly, whether it is registered or not.

No, it will not allow you to run applications. But as alex_mathews says, there are other applications, similar to voice dial, that will.

Originally posted by frenchym3
    I'm sorry for the silly question, but what other features and purpose Voice Dial has beside dialing numbers corresponding to the name we'd record on it?
    Thanx.

Interested in opinions on this SW, or for that matter, any voice dialing SW. I tried some voice dialing SW, and found it didn't even come close to getting anything correct!

Hard to believe that the $49 phones from vzw come with free SW that actually works (though you do have to train it a bit. Don't mind doing that though.)

ejc

can i run VD from the SD card and how do i transfer contents from one card to another

I have been using VD and am fairly happy with it, but I noticed today it is taking up about 1500k of my precious memory...can I transfer the program to the SD card and have it still run?

Related question...my current SD card is a 256k and i just bought a 1MB...if I buy a card reader (USB connection to my computer) can I transfer the contents from one card to another very easily?

Thanks in advance!!!

ejc

Yes, just like in explorer in windows

none of them work, they're all bad. I don't get it, the I500 (my last phone) had a great one.

Does anyone know of one where you record the name and the treo matches it up? Voice Launcher was horrible.
    http://www.spreadfirefox.com/communi...x15/blue_1.gif
    Get FireFox!

phones: Sam 8500, Sam a460, Sam i500, Treo 650
    Plan: $39.99= 750AT/3000NW@8/UnlPcs2Pcs/FIMF + $10 Vision + $5 SMS

Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar
    Check out VoiceDailIt at http://www.voiceit-tech.com.
    Michael