+ Reply to Thread

Addendum to "Transferring data to new treo 650"

Marty was kind enough to share some extra tips. Here is what he recommends if you do not have both the OLD DEVICE and your new TREO in hand at the same time (i.e. a store swap):

Here's what you need to do:

1. Sync your I500 right before you leave to the store so that the PC has the most up to date info.

2. When you get your 650, go through the initial setup procedure (aligning the screen, etc), then immediately sync the 650 TWICE (if the software asks which username to sync to, pick your I500 username)

3. Follow the 1st 3 steps of my post then sync the 650 TWICE.

4. perform a hard reset on the 650 (procedure for this is covered in the manual)

5. sync the 650 and when the software asks which username to sync to, create a new username and sync to that.

6. Change the username for your I500 device to something different. From the Palm Desktop software, click on the drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner and select "edit users". Highlight your I500 username and then select "rename" and change it to a new name. Now go back to that same "edit users" menu and select the username you created in step 5 and type in your old I500 username, this will now be the username for your 650. Click "ok" to close the window.

7. Sync the 650. If a window pops up asking which username to sync with (this window may not appear, do not worry if it does not), select your old I500 username.

8. Follow the rest of my instruction guide starting with step 7 of my post in the 650 forum.

THANKS AGAIN MARTY!!

Outlook & Palm Desktop question

In the middle of this procedure and wondering the following
    (note: I use Outlook)

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall (the CD version) of Palm Desktop?

Thanks in advance

David

yes, you'll notice in step 3 in my post above you it says to follow the first 3 steps of my sticky post. in those first 3 steps in my sticky post, it says to uninstall and reinstall.