+ Reply to Thread

Question Old Telephone Ringtone problems...

Good day, all.

I've searched for and found the ringer that's similar to the "Old Telephone" ringer that was my favorite on my Kyo 7135. I've searched for and found threads on how to download that ringer (midi file) into my phone via e-mail, and have done so.

HOWEVER, COMMA, the resultant file size JUST BARELY exceeds the 64K max file size for a Treo 650 ringer, according to the phone when I try to save it. The result is that I can't use it.

This is the file I'm talking about.

http://www.smartphoneforums.com/foru...&postid=417676

Can anyone tell me how to modify it so that it will work on my phone , or can anyone make the file size smaller then upload it to the site for me (and others) to grab?

TIA for any help

old telephone.wav

old telephone ringer
    Attached Files

I have tried to install the old telephone ringer on my 650 in .midi, .wav, and .mp3 formats, all with no success.

The .mp3 and .wav formats show up in my internal files, but not in my sound files area and I have not been able to access them to play.

The .midi format shows up in my sounds file along with all the other preinstalled sounds, but also will not play when I click it in the sounds file (I assume that if I can't get it to play in sounds, it won't play if selected as the designated ringer for incoming calls). The file is only 57kb so it should not have exceeded the limit.

Any Ideas?

I have the very same issue. I love the old telphone ringer that I used on my 7135 and have not been able to find a good replacement either. I really wish I could resolve this.

rr
    rr

I have reviewed a number of threads on this site regarding this issue and am not convinced that anyone has really been able to import a ringtone and get it to work properly.

My efforts in loading the OldTelephone ringtone have been as follows:
    1. imported as a midi file -- goes to the ringtone folder but will not play
    2. imported as a mp3 file -- goes to my general file folder (not ringtone) and I can play it with RealPlayer but it will not play as a ringtone
    3 imported as a wav file -- goes to my general file folder (not ringtone) and will not play with RealPlayer or as a ringtone.

As a Smartphone, the 650 is starting to seem pretty dumb -- or else I am (no comments necessary on this possibility .

I only wish someone could definitively explain how ringtones are to be imported so they work properly.

Imtoo - I did all of those proceedures also. What it finally came down to is that the 650 only accepts midi files. It's very easy to install them, but alas, the mp3 and wav files are not midi. Midi is more like sheet music that a digital mp3 file. There are converter but they don't work very well. I've even tried using a mp3 player for ring tones and after a few crashes gave up. So for right now, I'm waiting until I find a midi file that sounds good.

Best of luck.
    rr

I agree that it appears the 650 will only accept .midi files as ringtones.

I have taken an "oldtelephone" .midi file and opened it with RealPlayer on my laptop. Works great, no problem.

I also took that same .midi file, converted it to an mp3 on my laptop, and opened it with RealPlayer on the laptop. Again, no problem.

I then took the same converted mp3 and transferred it to my 650 and opened it with RealPlayer on my 650. No problem.

What I don't understand is why, after transferring the original .midi file to the 650 and having it show up on the 650 as a ringtone, it will not play.

Since I can play the original .midi on my laptop, as well as the conversion of that .midi to a mp3 on both the laptop and 650, it would seem that there can be nothing wrong with the original .midi file, except, of course, that the 650 cannot, or will not, read it as a ringtone.

Ahaa! I think I've figured out the problem.

The 650 can open the oldtelephone .midi, but being the "smartphone" that it is, it just doesn't want to.

Imtoo,
    Email the midi file and I will see if it will install on my phone. Be sure that it's a midi file.
    Thanks,
    rr
    tobiasf@dpsabq.com
    rr

Treo 650 (Kyocera 7135 'till 1/06)

Thumbs up

well, I had the same interest as you. My kyo 7135 died about a month ago, and I had to have the old tele ringer in it. I did get it to work!
    btw, I could not get the method of emailing it as an attachment, and getting versamail to 'select viewer'. Versamail never gave me that option.
    Method that works:
    First, it had to be a .wav
    Second, I edited to make it ring and pause, not ring-pause-ring.
    that made it 60% of the size, but sound the same.
    I copied it to my sd card (no subdirectory)
    then, using blazer, i typed for the url:
    file:///oldtelephone.wav
    when blazer opened it up, it gave me the option to 'select viewer' as 'sounds'
    when I saved it, (i think i had to reboot, but don't remember) it was there as a sound!
    peace...
    bill
    Attached Files

That work!!!! Great job. Thanks,
    rr
    rr

IT WORKS!

Good job drbill.

I would never have thought to import the file in that manner. What's more, I really don't understand how it even works, but it does and that is the important thing.

As an aside, I see that although the file shows up as a sound in the 650 Sound&Alerts/Tones area with a size of 397.3k, the file does not end up in the MIDI Ring Tones file with the rest of the ringtones, but is instead located with all the other files identified as "Ton-OldTelephone" with a size of 411k.

Very strange, but it works.

Thanks again.

Crud.

Didn't work for me. Oddly, when Blazer opened the file, I had the option to save it to the card, or to "Pocketunes", which is my MP3 player of choice. When I tried to save it to the card, I got a download error saying I didn't have enought space on the device to save the file, even though I have about 8 meg free on the Treo, and over 600 meg free on the card.

Also oddly, the file size shown in the "Save" dialog was "0.0k", which makes no sense at all.

I did re-boot the thing, but to no avail. The file isn't seen by the "tones" app.

Anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

If you follow drbill's instructions, the file will end up on the SD card and probably the internal memory and be able to be read by your 650.

After loading the file, you can view it with your 650 in either Preferences>Sounds and Alerts>Tones>Manage or with your file view program set to view either the internal file (ton-XXXXX) or the external file (audio).

Of course, you cannot view the file until you get it loaded. It sounds as though your current SD card is unable to accomodate the file size for some reason. I would suggest you either remove some files from your existing card and try again, or insert a new formatted card and see if it will load for viewing as above indicated.
    Last edited by lmdtoo; 02-06-2006 at 10:52 AM.