+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

TomTomNavigator 5 questions

I'm considering the purchase of the TomTom Navigator 5 to use with my Treo 650 and I would appreciate hearing your answers to these questions. Thank you in advance.

Does the software of enough Points of Interest for your needs?

What are some of the major and minor problems that you have found with the hardware and software?

If you're using the program and talking on the phone, are verbal/visual turn directions issued by the software? If verbal directions are issued, is it only done through a headset?

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.
    Last edited by arcfjss; 11-27-2005 at 09:57 PM.

Re: TomTomNavigator 5 questions

Originally posted by arcfjss
    I'm considering the purchase of the TomTom Navigator 5 to use with my Treo 650 and I would appreciate hearing your answers to these questions. Thank you in advance.

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.
    Does the software of enough Points of Interest for your needs?

A: Yes, I think. Not really sure what else I'd add to the POI database.

What are some of the major and minor problems that you have found with the hardware and software?

A: None. Seems stable to me, and is well thought-out.

If you're using the program and talking on the phone, are verbal/visual turn directions issued by the software? If verbal directions are issued, is it only done through a headset?

A: I haven't actually tried to have the TomTom run in the background while on the phone.

IMHO, it's a great program/package.

i ordered mine over the weekend. looking forward to it very much!

doody.

RE: TomTom Navigator Questions

zcd2.7t and Doody,
    Thank you for your responses.

As you continue using the Nav. 5, please let me of your positive experiences and concerns - including whether the product issues verbal/visual turn directions when the user is on the phone.

Thanks again.

tom tom

I am far from an expert user but.....

1. Tom tom Navigator 5 is terrific. It is very stable, fast, and effective. The only major difference between this and the more expensive units are the number of points of interest. While it has lots of POIs, it does offer less than bigger programs.
    2. I don't think you can use it while on the phone. Your route will be interrupted and picked back up once off the phone. This is a drawback for it. It will automatically pick your route back up, though.
    3. Only problems I have had is that points of interest are sometimes outdated. For instance, I plugged in a local Best buy and it was sending me to the wrong place. Either this store was newer and not on record or it had moved etc etc. This is rare.

Best program if you know where you are starting and where you wanna go. Doesn't work as well if you don't know what city something is in (have to select city before searching streets etc so you can't just search for a street name). Not really a big deal though.

I love adding POIs to tom tom. I go somewhere and just add it if not in there already. Highly suggest you buy it. Have it on my treo 650 and love it.

Re: RE: TomTom Navigator Questions

please let me of your positive experiences and concerns - including whether the product issues verbal/visual turn directions when the user is on the phone.
    i have not yet tested this but i do not believe this is possible. the OS doesn't generally support that kind of context switching automatically between apps, as i understand it.

you can exit the Navigator app while en route and go back in and it "picks up" the in-progress routing.

so at a minimum, you can answer your call, then go back in and it'll pick up (keeping you on your way or rectifying whatever you missed).

but i'll try to test it. it's a good question - i just seriously doubt the OS is up to the task.

doody.
    Last edited by Doody; 12-04-2005 at 03:55 PM.

Doody's Comments on TomTom 5

fwiw, here are my very initial comments. i installed it mid-last week and played with it a bit yesterday and today in the car. definitely not major testing.

i'll remark on general comments[*], things i dig [+], and things i didn't dig [-]. i also have some questions [?] that i'd love to hear answers to if folks have them. comments are in NO particular order.

[+] i really like the map display. i had a 99 BMW with satnav and an 03 MB - and neither of them were anywhere near this good in terms of usefulness. the fact that it shows the upcoming side street names as you get near them is very helpful for verification. it also zooms and pans very nicely - you're never confused about where you're going - i got confused in my car satnavs every now and then (but maybe i'm just an idiot!).

[-] i didn't dig the installation process. while it worked as advertised, it required reading two different getting started guides. the process had some long delays in it where i was certain something had gone wrong and the palm froze up or the installer busted. this could be documented much better to remove any such concerns.

[-] so far i'm quite unimpressed with the tomtom suport process. the FAQ is insanely simplistic. the inability to email them directly with support stuff is silly (especially since the submission link seems to have been down all weekend!).

[-] it's just insane that tomtom doesn't have some forum software so we can have discussions like this there. it'd save them a fortune in support costs as all us geeks answered each other's questions.

[?] is there an actual manual for the application? i've been trial-and-erroring settings and whatnot, but i'd rather just read a PDF once-through. i downloaded the guide for the gps brick unit (why isn't that included in the box so you know what the flashing lights mean?). but otherwise i've found nothing but the "Quick Start Guide" (in the box in paper form, and on their site).

[?] the only apparent means of recharging the brick is with the car charger. is that so? they don't seem to sell a wall-charger accessory - does one exit? i'd prefer to charge my unit overnight and then not worry about it during the day. i certainly don't need to carry around another power/charger cord when travelling.

[?] anybody know if there's an iGo / Juice tip that'll work to charge the brick? nothing listed on the iGo site.
    [*] be careful about the ordering of powering on the brick and starting up the software. it doesn't like it when you start the software first (the instructions warn on this too - they mean it).

[+] i don't know why, but i totally dig the GPS Status display in prefs. it's very cool to learn about the birds.

[+] the integration with the phone to call a POI is very cool and nicely done - albeit a bit buried in the UI.

[?] if i "Turn off map display" will it still give me audio alerts as i get close? and then i could turn it back on? it defaults to "Always on" and that seems like it'll suck T650 batteries lickety split.

[+] the ability to set which categories of POIs you want to display on the map is very cool. as is the ability to "warn" when you get near a POI - not sure i'll use that, but it's a neat idea.

[-] i wish there was a "Planning Preference" something like "favor majory highways" in addition to "avoid highways".
    [*] i think there's a bug re: the toll road preferences: i keep getting the red screen to confirm or refuse toll roads, but then it gives me a route that doesn't involve a toll road even when i say "toll roads are okay". odd.

[+] i was impressed with how it handled a re-route where i selected a spot on the map. i wanted to use a different highway, told it to reroute by selected location, clicked on that highway and it pulled an address from the click location and redid the route.

net-net, it's totally worth the money, imo. i can move it between my cars trivially, and i can take it with me when i travel (though i gotta get a bigger SD card to hold all the maps, i guess).

hope this is helpful. if anybody has answers to those questions please lmk!

doody.

Exclamation map installs

[+] i just stumbled on this. instead of installing one of the six US "regions", you can in fact (or presumably, "in addition to") install the maps in small nuggets - like NoCal vs. SoCal or by state - like MA, RI, VT, etc. there's also an option for "major cities" (no list of which they are) and "major US highways" that presumably covers all the major highways (useful i guess if you're a cross-country hauler).

fyi/fwiw, here are some MB sizes for folks contemplating SD cards:

1034 - US and Territories & Canada
    1014 - Continental US & Canada
    923 - Continental US
    91 - Canada
    169 - New England and Mid Atlantics
    164 - Mid West
    134 - Plains
    154 - West
    142 - South Central
    160 - South East

doody.

I bought TomTom with the i.Trek M3 a couple of weeks ago, and overall, I'm extremely impressed. This is great technology, and the software is fabulous.

A couple of observations and questions:

1) It would be great to be able to use this without the GPS sometimes. In fact, it works fine, using Navigate to POI in city, or Advanced planning, you can get directions for any location on any map, and even save the directions to a text memo. The problem is, it continually pesters you for the GPS unit. Has anyone figured out a way to disable this?

2) The iTrek GPS sometimes takes forever to lock on to a signal. At first I thought it was a TomTom problem, but then noticed the lock light on the GPS wasn't flashing, it was solid. I finally discovered the problem: iTrek keeps the last location in memory, so if you turn it off and then change location, it sometimes gets confused. Removing the battery for a few seconds fixes it, but it seems like a fairly major flaw. I suppose one solution would be to have it come on automatically when the car was turned on. I wouldn't mind hard-wiring a cable to the car for this purpose if I didn't have to actually manually press the button every time I went somewhere. Ideas anyone?

3) Have I mentioned I LOVE this thing!?

4) My first try installing the maps took forever, and some couldn't be recognized by TomTom afterward. (I'm using OSX Tiger 10.4.3). I then discovered there's a more recent program version on TomTom's site. It offers the much more efficient installation method of installing straight to the SD card instead of via hotsyncing.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index....243&Language=1
    http://www.tomtom.com/updates/tts104.dmg

First mount the SD card on the Desktop with a card reader.
    Next, mount the image with the new Mac software. Also insert your Map CD. Run the new software directly off the mounted image, select the map to install, and then select "Choose..." as the destination. When the file selector comes up, just point it to the root of your mounted SD card. Even large maps will install very quickly this way. It also solved the problem I had with some maps not being recognized.

5) I've seen a lot of complaints about not enough/inaccurate POIs, but I've been very impressed. True, there are some omissions and inaccuracies, but this is a huge database, and it's very fast, complete and accurate given its scope. They also allow you to add your own POIs.

6) Occasionally it will give directions that tell to turn left where a left turn is prohibited.

7) The time estimations are based on the Planning preferences, so if you're walking or biking for example, choosing the appropriate route will yield better directions and more accurate estimates.
    Last edited by CNG650; 12-27-2005 at 12:09 AM.

Has anyone else had trouble with TomTom not returning to navigator after recieving a phone call. According to the TomTom site, installing 5.12 will correct this issue. I've installed 5.12 and it NEVER, EVER returns me to navigator after recieving a call. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. This thing is extremely cool, but this is basically a deal breaker for me if I can't get it to work.

Originally posted by pdaone
    Has anyone else had trouble with TomTom not returning to navigator after recieving a phone call. According to the TomTom site, installing 5.12 will correct this issue. I've installed 5.12 and it NEVER, EVER returns me to navigator after recieving a call. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. This thing is extremely cool, but this is basically a deal breaker for me if I can't get it to work.
    This works fine for me using 5.201. I only used 5.12 for a short time, so I can't say whether it works with that version. I had a lot of other problems with 5.12 which all disappeared when I updated.

Great. Now for a really stupid question. Where can I get 5.201? I've checked the TomTom updates site at http://www.tomtom.com/support/suppor...D=3&Language=4 and can only find 5.12 listed as the newest.

Great. Now for a really stupid question. Where can I get 5.201? I've checked the TomTom updates site at http://www.tomtom.com/support/suppor...D=3&Language=4 and can only find 5.12 listed as the newest.
    Try:
    http://www.tomtom.com/support/index....age=1&FID=3361

Well, thanks for the link. I've downloaded and installed 5.201 and still it does not return to navigator after a call ends. Perhaps my expectations are incorrect. I'm expecting to answer the call, chat, hangup, and then have navigator reappear without my invoking the application. If I invoke the application, it does pick up where I left off. Is my expectation incorrect? It would seem silly (not to mention dangerous) to be restarting Navigator while doing 75 on I95 in rush hour traffic, so I'm really hoping my expectations are correct.

Well, thanks for the link. I've downloaded and installed 5.201 and still it does not return to navigator after a call ends. Perhaps my expectations are incorrect. I'm expecting to answer the call, chat, hangup, and then have navigator reappear without my invoking the application. If I invoke the application, it does pick up where I left off. Is my expectation incorrect? It would seem silly (not to mention dangerous) to be restarting Navigator while doing 75 on I95 in rush hour traffic, so I'm really hoping my expectations are correct.
    It works for me as you expect, no manual re-launch needed. The part I find annoying is that I'm presented with the agreement screen every time the application launches, including after receiving a call.

Well, it doesn't work like that for me, but I appreciate your info. You wanna trade problems?

I have the same issue, with both 5.12 and 5.2. As a workaround, I have the Nav app "Quick Keyed" from the phone app, so I just press and hold the 'N' key for 1 second to get back to the Nav app. All you have to do is tap an empty Favorites box in the phone app, assign an app to the box, and assign a Quick Key letter of your choosing. A bit of a pain, but since you have to hit the Center key anyway to get rid of the TomTom warning, this is just one more key...
    Ahhhh, gadgets! :bigthumb:

Quick question

Will this program map out a course to a destination if I am lost...for example, can I input my home address if I am in an unknown area and the GPS will recognize where I am, mapping the correct route home? Thanks.

Re: Quick question

Originally posted by Bluetieman
    Will this program map out a course to a destination if I am lost...for example, can I input my home address if I am in an unknown area and the GPS will recognize where I am, mapping the correct route home? Thanks.
    Yes, and then some. There's a "home" button so that you can predefine an address as home and then with two clicks ("Navigate to..." and "Home") tell the software to calculate a route to your house from your current destination.

It will literally route you from anywhere to anywhere. Provided you've installed the necessary maps of the regions.