+ Reply to Thread

Treo 650 use in Mexico

Last year I went to Puerto Vallarta and used my cell phone while there. It worked perfectly. I am going again in a couple of weeks and I have a different cell phone now...a Treo 650. I am with Verizon. Verizon has a North America plan which I hoped to switch to while in PV. The plan is great because you do not pay extra for roaming or long distance calls back to the U.S. When I called Verizon the person I spoke with told me that Mexico uses GSM and that my phone will not work there. He said that last year when I went, my phone was a tri-mode and so that it why it worked. The Treo 650 (Verizon) is all-digital he said. I just read a post on this site that said Mexico is CDMA, which I think is what my phone is, so maybe it will work afterall. Does anyone know for sure if it will work?

I was kinda hard to find and took a little searching so I cut and pasted this from verizons website. Look like full steam ahead

Verizon Wireless customers can use their tri-mode or all digital handsets to make and receive calls in:

International Roaming - Mexico
    Per Minute Rate
    Voice Calls are $0.69 per minute (may be higher for some calling plans). Long distance charges, toll charges, taxes and surcharges may also apply.

City Listing

Piedras Negras
    Ciudad Guzman
    Piedras Negras
    Ciudad Mante
    Playa del Carmen
    Ciudad Mexico
    Poza Rica
    Ciudad Valles
    Puebla
    Ciudad Victoria
    Puerto Penasco
    Coatzacoalcos
    Puerto Vallarta
    Colima
    Queretaro

i cut a section out just to show PV was coverd
    Last edited by DigitalDave; 11-28-2005 at 11:26 PM.

I use my VZW Treo 650 frequently in Mexico City, Cuernavaca, Guadalajara and in Puerto Vallarta. I make and receive calls while in Mexico (locally) as well as make and receive calls to and from the USA.

My price plan is 69 cents a minute.

Before you travel, it is best to call Verizon Wireless (800.922.0204) and make sure that the feature is enabled.

Just my two cents.

Stalker768

Thank you Dave. It amazes me that Verizon's employees give out false information and do not even know what they have to offer.

Stalker, Thanks for reassuring me that my Treo 650 will work in PV. By the way, are you not aware of Verion's North America plans? You can switch to it when you are in Mexico and switch back when you come home. Then you would not pay 69 cents per minute. Calls made back to the US are simply counted against your minutes in the plan. They have various minute allowances.