+ Reply to Thread

Running BackupBuddy from SD Card help

I'm sorry if this answer is posted elsewhere, but I have searched and not found it . . .

I recently bought my wife a Verizon Treo 650 (I still have my i500) and put BackupBuddyVFS on it to backup everything to a 256MB sd card. When the program was first installed, it asked if I wanted it also copied to the card so I could recover from a hard reset without syncing from a computer. I answered yes. However, now when I look at the card, I get a blank screen, like there is nothing on the card. I am getting successful backups, but when I drop down the category box and select card, the screen shows no files or programs. Shouldn't I see BackupBuddy here as an option to run from the card?
    Thanks.

you should see the program but not the backup files (unless you are are using a file explorer type program, like FileZ). The backup files are located in \PALM\backup if I recall correctly

If the BackupBuddy VFS program icon is not showing, simply copy the one in internal memory to the card. That is all the 'do you want to make a backup' question does when you click 'yes' to it.

Backup Buddy restore from SD card

I use BackupBuddy to restore my Treo after a hard reset as well. Recently, it has save my butt several times with Treo crashing all the time (more on the crashes in my next post). Generally, I just hot sync the Treo and it returns to last state. After the last hard reset, I began wondering if it was possible to restore the Treo from the SD card after a hard reset. I am leaving on a business trip and need a method to retore from the SD card; not hot sync or installing additional applications. Does anybody know if you could restore the Treo from a backup on the SD card? My main question relates to accessing the SD card with the standard Palm applications; not using Filez or some third party file manager. Then I could activate backup buddy on SD card and reinstall my files (or copy Filez to RAM).

My understanding is that you need BackupBuddy VFS to do a restore from your SD card. I have not done this yet, but that is exactly why I bought that version of the program.

Hi,

I use Backupbuddy VFS professional. I set it to back up my whole unit every night. Then (because I like to fiddle) if I ever screw up my machine I just force a hard reset to lose the memory. Then I select backupbuddy on my SD card. Press restore. Reset and voila I am back to my original state. I find it works better than a hot sync to revert my unit back to a state.

Also if I know I am fiddling eg trying out a launcher I will set a "Check point" then I can revert to this particular state even if another auto back up has occured in between.

ST

You should have a copy of Backup Buddy on your SD card in the Palm\Launcher directory (you can also put a file manager there also)
    After a hard reset using the built-in palm launcher program and selecting the drop down choice in the top right corner you can access your SD card and see the Backup buddy program - run it and select restore and IT WORKS>
    I have used it 2 or 3 times after a hard reset and it works.