+ Reply to Thread

broken key on keyboard

what size are the screws on the 650 to pull it apart? and how many are there? I see the battery compartment, are there more?

I dropped a remote onto the 'P' key and its no longer clicking. It works, but it requires no effort to push it. Barely touching it gets me a 'p' anywhere user entry is enabled.

I need to either fix or replace the keyboard.

I would rather not ship it off for insurance replacement/repair as I dont want to fork over the $50 and be down without a phone again (reconfiguring is the biggest PITA).

Jerry Keel
    It is a Torx T5. There are seven I believe. See the below link for some good instruction on taking apart the treo:

http://treotricks.blogspot.com/2005/...your-treo.html

Then only place I could get a T5 bit was to buy a kit from Radio Shack that had a bit for a interchangeable handle:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2104638&cp

It was onsale for $30.00 when I got it.

Good Luck,

Jerry
    Last edited by jerry50; 05-09-2006 at 07:12 AM.

if i cant find a tool for cheaper than that and a keyboard pad (if that is what is broken vs the board being the problem) totalling much less than the $50 deductible, I am going with insurance.

Broken key on keypad

I recently broke the letter P on my keypad. Whenever I pressed the letter P the Treo 650 would put a continuous string of P's with no end. It was permanantly depressed. It interfered with the phone function since it is a hotkey as well.

After reading the posts above, I thought I would have to do surgery on my phone since I did not spring for the insurance plan or perhaps upgrade to the 700P.

I took it to a Sprint dealer that also does repairs and they replaced the motherboard(keypad) for $35.
    Last edited by BC Guy 1984; 05-29-2006 at 12:18 AM.

thanks for that note on the sprint store. i have been avoiding fixing it so far with minimal issue with the P key as i am very conscious of it now. i will call the local store to see if they can fix it